mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Broke my Ibis yesterday.

I broke my MT Trials yesterday - pulled a stick up into the derailer and snapped off the whole bottom half of the dropout along with the derailer hanger.

It's just the driveside dropout, but I'm still very bummed as I've been enjoying the heck out of this bike on my back yard trails which are super tight and twisty. Even my Buck Shaver feels a little sluggish back there - especially now that I've been so spolied.

In any case, can you guys suggest a good builder for the repair. I'm hoping to find someone who can blend the paint on the repaired dropout into the fade that's already on the bike. It's gorgeous paint that slides gracefully from a grape-y purple on the fork and headtube, through a tomato-soup red, into a sunset orange at the rear. I hate to lose all that great paint for a small repair at the rear.

Cheers,

-Andrew

BTW, for all you Mt Trials owners out there: the Arrow racing 24x2.1 doesn't quite fit. It clears the stays with so little room that you buzz on the side knobs as soon as you get out the saddle. Nashbar currently has Geax Blades in 24x2.0 that work great and they're only $10.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That blows Andrew. I'm bummed too - it's my old bike. I imagine a good builder could replace the dropout with something similar, probably would do both sides. Paint job could be tough to reproduce. Good thing is that if you do a total repaint, the decals are available through http://www.chuckibis.com/
    Not sure if you want to deal with someone in Michigan, but Quiring Cycles does excellent custom bike work and beautiful fade paint jobs. http://www.quiringcycles.net/
    Hope you're able to get her up and running again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH
    That blows Andrew. I'm bummed too - it's my old bike. I imagine a good builder could replace the dropout with something similar, probably would do both sides. Paint job could be tough to reproduce. Good thing is that if you do a total repaint, the decals are available through http://www.chuckibis.com/
    Not sure if you want to deal with someone in Michigan, but Quiring Cycles does excellent custom bike work and beautiful fade paint jobs. http://www.quiringcycles.net/
    Hope you're able to get her up and running again!
    I'll definitley get her back up and running. In terms of sheer smiles per pedal turn, I don't know when I've ridden a better bike. It really seems as though Nicol and company were riding my trails when they designed that thing.

I'll give Quiring a shout, the examples on their web page look great. I'm not really afraid of shipping it to have the repairs done. I'd rather drop $50 or so on UPS charges and know the work's done right.

-Andrew

mtbr member
    FWIW, I remember reading somewhere (maybe in the FAQ of the new Ibis site?) that Scot Nicol recommends Sycip to do repairs on steel Ibises...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sycip isn't taking repair work right now

Quote Originally Posted by RickD.
    FWIW, I remember reading somewhere (maybe in the FAQ of the new Ibis site?) that Scot Nicol recommends Sycip to do repairs on steel Ibises...
    Called 'em yesterday to see if they would take it on, they're so swamped with bike orders that they really didn't want to take on any repair work. I'm very glad to hear they're doing so well - I always worry a little about the financial health of the little guys.

-Andrew

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewthorne
    Called 'em yesterday to see if they would take it on, they're so swamped with bike orders that they really didn't want to take on any repair work. I'm very glad to hear they're doing so well - I always worry a little about the financial health of the little guys.

-Andrew

You could try Paul at Rocklobster or perhaps Hunter.

I'd trust them to do the work.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Andrew - Any news on the Ibis? Did you get it fixed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not yet, but I know who's doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH
    Hey Andrew - Any news on the Ibis? Did you get it fixed?
    I'm planning to get it boxed and out the door this weekend to Troy Courtney. He really "gets" nice old bikes, is reasonably priced, and seems like a hell of a nice guy.

The plan is to run vertical drops, blend in the paint so I don't have to lose that gorgeous fade (or pay to replicate it) and hopefully find a way to create a smidge more tire clearance.

I'll post some pics once I get it back. In the meantime, I've been falling back in love with with my Buck Shaver - talk about an under-appreciated bike....

Cheers,

-Andrew

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewthorne

-Andrew
    Try Carl @ Strong.