mtbr member

Brian Lopes to ride for Ibis

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Cool....I sense a 4X bike coming....not that I would buy one but this should help to extend Ibis's product line and appeal to other types of bikers.

Amphibious Technologies
    Good for him and Ibis. I thought this would happen as Lopes was actually testing out a couple Mojos from our LBS a month or so ago.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's cool that the first event Brian will be joining using an Ibis will be here in the Philippines for the Terry Larrazabal Bike Festival on April 3-6.

He'll be coming over with Hans Rey.

nerfherder
    Totally not what I was expecting. My first reaction was that it was an odd pairing. But I think it'll be awesome for Ibis to get Lopes as a part of their R&D group to develop new bikes, too. And I presume the deal is good for Brian, too.

mtbr member
    I think it's gonna be great.
    Surprise, yes.

But if this is gonna lead to a sweet 4x bike, why not???
    Or, even better, a sweeter 7" freeride bike? HELL YEAH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    It will be exciting to watch what develops from this relationship! I can't wait to see an Ibis Mojo SL on a world cup podium for 4x!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Totally not what I was expecting. My first reaction was that it was an odd pairing. But I think it'll be awesome for Ibis to get Lopes as a part of their R&D group to develop new bikes, too. And I presume the deal is good for Brian, too.
    Awesome for Ibis anyway. Can't imagine they were Lopes' first pick. Guess SC chose not to come through with the bucks...

Then again he's still getting paid well to ride bikes so yep it's pretty good for him too.

-

Capricious youth...
    Personally, I think that if Ibis redesigns their hardtail Tranny, they should rename the surgically altered bicycle.

We'll call it, "The Post-Op Tranny."
    Meh.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    We'll call it, "The Post-Op Tranny."
    now that's funny
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    There is a much more detailed press release on Lopes site.

http://www.brianlopes.com/archives/000239.html

www.derbyrims.com
    Very cooolll!!!!

Ibis gets the hole-shot. Thanks Brian!

I'd like to see 4X run on rigid bikes. Maybe even single-speed. Pure rider and bike geometry.

DS with 5.5 or 6 inch travel minimum. Handicap the second run if the setup doesn't bottom rear travel on the first. Let's get some empirical proof.
    Last edited by derby; 02-27-2008 at 09:34 PM.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I'd like to see 4X run on rigid bikes. Maybe even single-speed. Pure rider and bike geometry
    Thats called BMX....

I think that anymore if riding a FS bike isn't advantageous in a MTB race, somethings wrong. At least in gravity events....

NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cool, old school guy ! (I guess not that old now since he started at 17) I didn't know Brian was still around. Now, if Missy comes back....

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Thats called BMX....

I think that anymore if riding a FS bike isn't advantageous in a MTB race, somethings wrong. At least in gravity events....

Yea, FS should be an advantage for any MTB race, but you've probably seen at least on TV the DS and 4X courses are usually pretty smooth downgrade pump tracks with a few jumps and tight switchbacks.

I suggest make DS courses harder where 6 inch travel gets used landing jumps, compression g-outs, or just railing berms. But require the riders and crew chief’s set up the suspension so all travel is used at least at one point of the course, inspect the travel use after each run - with a max time penalty if full rear travel isn’t used. So often I see races with “full suspension” bikes virtually locked out or using 2 inches of the 4, etc. That doesn’t tell me as a consumer if the suspension can run full travel and also be efficient accelerating (for climbing efficiency). And test with 6 inch or near in travel since this is becoming the new norm for climbable FS trail bikes.

And 4X become a limited lower tech formula that rider and the choice of rigid geometry makes the difference - wheel size unlimited, if 20 inch wheel bike works better for one course use that, if 29 wheels bike works better for the rider use that, but rigid. We’d learn where bigger wheels or smaller wheels really do perform better. And maybe use singlespeed too?
    Last edited by derby; 02-28-2008 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Gets my vote

For most interesting release on Velonews or any site in the past year...at least for my reading enjoyment.

flow where ever you go
    Is _DW on the Ibis/Lopes design team???
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 02-28-2008 at 01:30 PM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Cool, old school guy ! (I guess not that old now since he started at 17) I didn't know Brian was still around. Now, if Missy comes back....
    Missy still rides a lot but not sure if competitively. Seen her clamming around Santa Fe quite a bit.

mtbr member

www.derbyrims.com
    " I'm thrilled to be riding what in my opinion is the best looking and best riding bike on the market. I personally tested numerous bikes and the Ibis Mojo has won hands down as the best all-around machine. Which was the main driver for my decision, shortly followed by the the like-ability of the Ibis owners, their future products, heritage and long-term commitment and vision to make the ultimate working bikes in the market. To me it was a perfect fit." current World Cup Champion Brian Lopes

This is always nice to hear again from everyone after riding the Mojo, even if itís just from some current world champion!