breathing helium

Brian Lopes' Quiver of Mojos...from Bike Mag

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice rides!

Unpredictable
    This is going to be an interesting year for the mojo. Seems like the BikeMag comments are similar to those here - some people are as venomously anti-Ibis as some are pro. You get comments on the trail like "full carbon hey - aren't you scared?" Lets see how Brian Lopes affects the carbon vrs metal argument as well as the Ibis haters. I know I have hit things hard enough to feel the entire thing twist and release like a damped spring and no loss of line, breaking control, traction or control of bowels yet. Go Lopes Go Mojo

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How can people hate Ibis? Is it cause riding an Ibis gives you a competitive edge?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Unpredictable
    Good ? but seems like some do. Competitive edge yet to be determined.

flow where ever you go
    I've met a couple of carbon haters on the trail. I can only imagine they are overly jealous or a bicyclist's equivalent to a racist - hating carbon just because it is different (and different must be worse???).

Speaking of different, what shocks is Brian running on those bikes ? (they're not standard DT or Fox).

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its Marzocchi Roco, and its eyelet is custom made to fit the Mojo, if Im not mistaken, they tuned the shock for Lopes riding style.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Sweeeeeet. I just read some of those comments. Shoulda guessed that some of them would be total dumba$$e$.

I figure this isn't over.....Lopes is going to bring Ibis into the spotlight and naturally, the more successful a company is, the more the haters come out. Bunch of little ignorant babies out there. Be happy...sheesh.

TranceX Rider
    Hi, everyone!

Hey, Omar! Seems you've been doing our homeworks diligently (meant it in a good way), huh?! Carry on. I need time off from work Ibis just fascinates me. How does such bike's geometry handles almost every discipline you throw at it... I'm just wondering

I've got to proceed with my project... I'm getting anxious! LoL!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well from my opinion, bike geometry will determine the bike riding characteristics. (thats why If you read bike magazines some testers will say that this bike descends good but is sketchy on uphill and stuffs).
    If the bike climbs easy but the front end become super responsive which could be good or bad (depends on the situation - usually found in XC bikes, Anthem is 73, most other XC bike is 71). Downhill bikes generally have a more slack geometry.

A longer wheelbase means a more stable ride but you will have bigger turns then a shorter wheelbase, so if your place has a lot of tight turns, you will find more difficulty riding down a longer wheelbase bike compared to a short wheelbase.

Seat angle and the length of the top tube also play a role in the bike handling characteristics.

From my opinion, the Mojo geometry is spot on for AM riding (uphill and descending). I compare the Mojo with my used to be favorite bikes which is : Turner 5 Spot and Intense EVP 5.5

If you guys went to check out those site, you will realize the Mojo geometry is somewhere between both bikes (some are the same). Here is what I think, the Mojo climbs just as well as the Turner Spot (head tube angle and seat post angle the same and Mojo maybe climbs better then Spot due to DW-Link suspension) and handle technical stuffs as nimble as the Intense EVP due to its wheelbase length. The Mojo top tube length is almost the same as Spot and is slightly shorter then Intense EVP so I got no comments on this.

Again, Im just a avid biker who loves bike engineering and my comparison is based on numbers and some reviews that I read from the internet, I could be wrong and Im only a high school student enrolling into college this May so sorry if I made any mistakes. Oh yeah and sorry for the long post.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Well from my opinion, bike geometry will determine the bike riding characteristics. (thats why If you read bike magazines some testers will say that this bike descends good but is sketchy on uphill and stuffs).
    If the bike climbs easy but the front end become super responsive which could be good or bad (depends on the situation - usually found in XC bikes, Anthem is 73, most other XC bike is 71). Downhill bikes generally have a more slack geometry.

A longer wheelbase means a more stable ride but you will have bigger turns then a shorter wheelbase, so if your place has a lot of tight turns, you will find more difficulty riding down a longer wheelbase bike compared to a short wheelbase.

Seat angle and the length of the top tube also play a role in the bike handling characteristics.

From my opinion, the Mojo geometry is spot on for AM riding (uphill and descending). I compare the Mojo with my used to be favorite bikes which is : Turner 5 Spot and Intense EVP 5.5
    I agree with wheelhot!
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I agree with wheelhot!
    Same Same...

Scuba.. you put a cork on your spear??

TranceX Rider
    No harm done there, Omar! Thanks for sharing. I'm also on the same boat with your insights. This bike rocks! Why not add another arrow to the quiver, Omar? Just like what I did. But have to find lotsa money to invest with its parts as well as time to build her (this time it's a she (still no name as of the moment, my Anthem's name: Rapid Edward) up accordingly... I must be dreaming. Oh, pinch me!

Here I go again. Tell-tale signs... Oh, am getting anxious again for the nth time! Hahahaha!

Must ride. Must ride...

See you 'round, guys! Am off now for a few spins.

Enjoy your weekends!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hahahaha, I love these forum members
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

breathing helium
    I test rode a size large today, as best as I could in the blizzard we had. I am 6'1" with 36" inseam but with the 110mm stem it felt ok. Again, top tube length is taste but I think if I put a layback on it, it would give me a tad more room if I wanted it. Actually, my current bike has a 24.2" effective tt but the Mojo's 23.6" had a nice feel to it. I liked it.
    Last edited by cocheese; 03-29-2008 at 02:25 AM.