Rb
    wrenchscience.com

Brian Lopes' Mojo

Saw this on Decline's website this morning: http://declinemagazine.com/Nucleus/C...hp?itemid=1915

Online Exclusive: Brian Lopes' Ibis Mojo, Mountaincross Build

The speculation is over. You all wondered what Brian Lopes' Ibis Mojo would look like with his mountaincross race spec. Well, here it is...

Brian says he receives more questions about his Ibis from fellow trailusers than any bicycle he's ever ridden in the past. His chassis' curvaceous carbon could be the catalyst...

Or the carbon on his Hayes Stroker brake levers. Or maybe the carbon of his Easton Monkey Lite XC bars.

Marzocchi 55 with Easton AM Havoc wheels and EC90 carbon seatpost.

A prototype* Marzocchi Roco Air. (*We bet you can't guess the contents of this prototype rear shock)

Fizik Aliante XM saddle.

Kenda Short Tracker tires, front and rear.

Shimano XTR cranks and MRP System 1 Carbon chainguide.

Shimano 7-speed cog stack.

True Story: At the age of 17, I was once shunned away from Brian Lopes' dual slalom bike as it sat under his team tent in the pits of the Helen, Georgia NCS in 1995. A team member was perturbed that I'd hopped the fence and was behind Brian's bike counting cog teeth and writing my findings on a 4"x6" notebook. I didn't count the cog teeth on his Ibis, though. I learned my lesson the first time...

Shimano XTR drivetrain with, of course, more carbon.

For more info, visit ibiscycles.com
    :: wrenchscience ::

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Whoops... totally missed this thread: Brian Lopes' Quiver of Mojos...from Bike Mag

Guess I'm not the only person anxious to see Lopes' dispell just about every myth regarding carbon frames and gravity racing...

Go-go-Mojo!!
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    wow, interesting photos, and for a bike that is going to be used for mountain cross (what is this? dual slalom?), Brian surely has a lot of carbon bits on this bike from the handlebar to the seatpost. If he can go through the season without breaking his carbon bits, expect to see more riders using carbon in the future.

Oh yeah, Rb, you work at wrenchscience? and how come I dont see you in Ibis forum?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    wow, interesting photos, and for a bike that is going to be used for mountain cross (what is this? dual slalom?), Brian surely has a lot of carbon bits on this bike from the handlebar to the seatpost. If he can go through the season without breaking his carbon bits, expect to see more riders using carbon in the future.

Oh yeah, Rb, you work at wrenchscience? and how come I dont see you in Ibis forum?
    I hope BL breaks the Mojo, to find any weaknesses; almost no one else seems to be able to break it other than a few rare factory defect failures.

wheelhot, mountain cross is 4 rider gate start down a tight course similar to Dual Slolum but mostly wider for passing with some bigger jumps. 4X is a very spectacular full contact race. I haven't followed racing very closely, but now I do have some big motivation to watch - seeing my bike raced by the best rider!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    If he [BL] can go through the season without breaking his carbon bits, expect to see more riders using carbon in the future.
    Yeah but sponsored riders normally do not make frame failure public unless it happens in public, of course. Frame failure falls under R&D and as derby alluded to, it results is a better frame.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

He actually has a couple more in the line-up.
    The interesting parts are about the stroke and shock length changes.

Lopes

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Until Ibis comes up with one or more new frames for dedicated use, those mods are necessary as you are using the same frame for different applications.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    wheelhot, mountain cross is 4 rider gate start down a tight course similar to Dual Slolum but mostly wider for passing with some bigger jumps. 4X is a very spectacular full contact race. I haven't followed racing very closely, but now I do have some big motivation to watch - seeing my bike raced by the best rider!
    Oh so that is the difference, thanks. I always wondered why some racers there is only 4 riders in track and in others there are more, thanks .

Yeah but sponsored riders normally do not make frame failure public unless it happens in public, of course. Frame failure falls under R&D and as derby alluded to, it results is a better frame.
    Thats good, but the regular Mojo or Mojo SL is pretty darn good for the All-Mountain rider anyway . It can do drops regularly and you can hike a bike because of its weight. Thats gold already .

I wonder if we are going to see a more beefed up Mojo sometime in the future for more aggresive riding (maybe more suited for Lopes?).

Well he is a sponsored rider so its obvious that which ever bike he take, if the normal shock wont do it, it will be custom .

Nonetheless, its nice to see a All-Mountain bike in a Mountain Cross series.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Unpredictable
    What I would like is to see a program of the events BL is running this year and any links to coverage or video. Maybe the Ibis team can help there?

flow where ever you go

new photos.

Found a couple of Lopes' shots I hadn't seen (from the Chuck's blog). These are of Lopes' winning run at the Leapin' Lizard Downhill Race - 2008.
    WinningLizardRun.jpg

LopesWinningLizard.jpg

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    sweet photos.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I for one welcome the input of Lopes and hope he does break the odd frame. As I'm now on my third rear triangle, any development of the frame from more aggressive riding would be very welcome.

Unpredictable
    3 rear triangles? What has been happening to them? Any similarities in the events? Were they catastrophic failures? Also I presume despite the kona-ish tag these are Mojo triangles...