mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Breaking down Ripley to fly with?

How small can I pack my Ripley if I take it completely apart? Size L.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What are you packing it in is more the question.

I take my RD and handlebars off, let all their out of my fork, drop the post and reverse the fork it just fits in the "stretch" size of this bag: Mountain Bike Size Chart | Pika Packworks

So, 45" long and 29" high.

Get a bigger bag (which I sort of wish I'd done...especially with wheels) and what size it breaks down to is less relevant.

Either way you are paying bike fees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I thought I might take off the swing arm too.

mtbr member
    Not sure if it's the same deal elsewhere, but I can get my Large Ripley into a standard airline bike box comfortably by removing the front caliper, turning the forks backwards, removing the bars and standing them next to the fork leg (brakes and shifters still attached), removing the dropper post and zip tying it to the rear wheel. The front wheel sits nicely beside the frame. Two small cardboard boxes at the back to hold the rear wheel in place and protect the RD, and a few rags taped in place to stop any frame rub and it's good to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren View Post
    I thought I might take off the swing arm too.
    That's not an easy job, you can practice that at home and see if you would want to do it for traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    I used to do it with my RIP9, never had any trouble, used to fit into a 29" wheel box with wheels packed on either side and some clothes thrown in for padding, with tyres folded, derailuers in plastic bags, then wrapped in clothes to keep thing safe. 2nd bag was a hard bottom duffle, fork and bar packed in there between my jeans and other clothes, never had an issue, but you need to be very familiar with building a bike up from scratch.

Breaking down Ripley to fly with?-rip9-packed-up.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Again...it all depends on what you are putting it in! keep it simple though.

Go to the LBS and pickup a mtb cardboard box, all you have to do is take off the wheels and handle bars, rear derailleur for safety if you want.

In my evoc case I have to do the same. Not sure why you'd want to pull the swing arm off, unless you are planning on trying to avoid airline costs, and pack a smaller case... which i doubt you'll get around with a MTB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    This is a good guide https://youtu.be/G6NMPUWlsvE

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    Actually I never paid any additional cost, the wheel box was my 2nd piece of luggage, measured out to just slightly over the allowed 62" measurement for a suitcase and I added a piece of 1/4" ply and handle so it wasn't hard to lift, normally weighed in around 45lbs really packed out.

Quote Originally Posted by dfishdesign View Post
    ...........Not sure why you'd want to pull the swing arm off, unless you are planning on trying to avoid airline costs, and pack a smaller case... which i doubt you'll get around with a MTB.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Bravo! A lot of work no?

I suppose you might save a little money doing that depending on who you are flying with and where. most domestic flights still charge between 50-80 for two bags as you packed right? Most bikes travel for 75-150. For me I'd rather the pay the extra 25-100 bucks and spend 5 minutes to assemble the bike. But both work. I've flown 20+ times and just invested in an evoc case a few years ago. Worth it for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Be wary of a carrying case that is too large to fit into a full or mid sized 4 door rental car. Too large and you end up with an expensive rental upgrade to an SUV. I like the Timbuk2 bike travel case - fits my 29er or fat bike, and fits in the back seat of a full or mid sized 4 door car. Even bringing the bike to the airport is difficult with a case that won't fit into a normal car.

My favorite way of transporting my bike is to pack it in the Timbuk2 bag and ship it via bikeflights.com. For about $75 each way you can mail your bike to your destination. It will be waiting for you when you get there. And they can pick it up from your hotel after you leave for the trip home! No dealing with the bike and the airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    They don't ship where I'm going, or I'd go this way.