Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MPI
    mtbr member

BOS Deville 170mm tapered problems

My fork has been out in the trail about 15 times. I have noticed play in the air side and it also make a clicking sound then you rock the fork front brake on. Emailed today to BOS about the matter and waiting for the answer. The fork has been bought directly form BOSmtb from France. I am little bit disappointed about the fork. It should last little bit longer.

MPI
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI View Post
    My fork has been out in the trail about 15 times. I have noticed play in the air side and it also make a clicking sound then you rock the fork front brake on. Emailed today to BOS about the matter and waiting for the answer. The fork has been bought directly form BOSmtb from France. I am little bit disappointed about the fork. It should last little bit longer.

MPI
    I had the same issue. Only when off the bike did I notice it. I emailed and called BOS and got no reply for about 6 weeks. As much as I likes the fork I wasn't going to take any chances with something happening and getting warranty. Much less if they would even contact me back to cover a warranty. Good luck!

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    I had the same issue. Only when off the bike did I notice it. I emailed and called BOS and got no reply for about 6 weeks. As much as I likes the fork I wasn't going to take any chances with something happening and getting warranty. Much less if they would even contact me back to cover a warranty. Good luck!
    So you never heard about them since?

aka...appBLING72
    So you never heard about them since?
    Nope. Still no reply and that has been over 3 months ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm so glad I went with Fox in the end! I placed an order with Bos 3 weeks ago for a deville and a vipr. I still have had no reply or acknowledgement to my order! The only mobile number they had for contact kept going dead? I tried all day.

Sorry that doesn't help you does it! Not trying to be smug, they clearly need some customer service development!

Hope you get it sorted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It was Roger at R53 Engineering I was/trying to deal with.

Shocking.

MPI
    mtbr member
    So it is sh...y CS then.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Your best bet is to contact the distributor in your country. If in US you will have to get hold of someone outside of US, like Roger in the UK. That is the major reason why I don't run BOS stuff anymore on my bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    R53 Sport

Roger was pleasant to speak with when we had initial conversations re my requirements. This then followed somewhat erratic communication and then told to email my order through.

Try his mobile number, should be on the link I provided somewhere?

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Medrep View Post
    R53 Sport

Roger was pleasant to speak with when we had initial conversations re my requirements. This then followed somewhat erratic communication and then told to email my order through.

Try his mobile number, should be on the link I provided somewhere?
    Actually Chris and Roger at R53 cannot handle US based service anymore. I was told by Chris personally that I would have to go through BOS.

So, I got an X-Fusion Vengeance Coil since I had not tried them and I am more than happy. It feels as good as the Bos did an has even better small
    Bump compliance

MPI
    mtbr member
    Mine was bought directly from BOSmtb online store from France. If they will not reply to my emails I don't know what to think...
    Last edited by MPI; 05-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Can you feel the play when sitting on the bike? Is your hub or brake fitted tight, the play is not coming from there?

I went and tried mine: when I'm off the bike and rock the bike with front brake on, fork compresses immediatly and fork "moves". It feels like there is some kind of "play", but it is just because the fork compresses so easily. When I'm on the bike, fork feels stiff as d**k.

mtbr member
    Ok, I just noticed, there is more of this issue in shock and suspensions -forum ...

MPI
    mtbr member
    BOSmtbīs (France) warranty department replied to my email(s). They suspected that the problem is in the air side upper bushings (thatīs what I suspected too). They asked me to send the fork (Deville 170mm) back to them for the warranty. The fork will "fly" from Finland to Toulouse soon. Weīll wait and see what happens...

aka...appBLING72
    BOSmtbīs (France) warranty department replied to my email(s). They suspected that the problem is in the air side upper bushings (thatīs what I suspected too). They asked me to send the fork (Deville 170mm) back to them for the warranty. The fork will "fly" from Finland to Toulouse soon. Weīll wait and see what happens...
    Well. That is surprising you got a response. I will be curious to see how this progresses. I guess if you don't buy it directly from them you get no CS!! Keep me posted!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I have more or less the same problem - real bushing play on the left side. I sent them an e-mail and here is the response:
    "The slides bushing are wear parts. They can wear more or less rapidly in function of your ride style, and ride frequency. You can send back us your fork for expertise and replacement. Please join the attached return form at your parcel."

Does this mean that the issue is not going to be covered by the warranty?

MPI
    mtbr member
    Mine flew back to BOS (France ) this monday. Got a response yesterday that they will trying to fix it early next week. Never talked anything about paying anything. They ( Laurence from sales department and Arthur from service department ) have been very helpful towards me.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Got info from BOS that they have repaired my fork and sending it back to me. I was trying get an answer what was wrong with the fork but they have not replied yet. Will tell to you if I will get an answer.

MPI
    mtbr member
    I got my fork back from BOS. Did not get any reply from them about the problem. Fork was fine then I installed it back to bike. After one pretty technical ride (race) the small play is back on the air side. Dunno what to think. I guess it is a property of this fork. At least you can say for sure that BOS Deville forks are not to match the quality level of RS and Fox.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got my fork back from BOS. Did not get any reply from them about the problem. Fork was fine then I installed it back to bike. After one pretty technical ride (race) the small play is back on the air side. Dunno what to think. I guess it is a property of this fork. At least you can say for sure that BOS Deville forks are not to match the quality level of RS and Fox.
    Sorry to hear but good to know.

Thanks so much for the final update, as most people never update their threads in the end.

If you decide to sell it, I can highly recommend the X-fusion Vengeance Coil HLR.
    It beats out my 55 RC3 Ti in stiffness and in being plush.

aka...appBLING72
    Well. Good to know the final update. I'm not sure if that causes a problem with the fork, but knowing that is there visually made me feel I was damaging the fork and led to a lack of confidence in the ability to get full performance and warranty should something go wrong. It was nice to try Bos out. But until they have a US based supplier I won't feel comfortable trying them again.

Hit me up if you want to talk X Fusion Vengeance fork.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Hi again!

Two rides back here in southern Spain (those Switckback DH ones) I got another problem. Middle of the second run the fork started to make funny squeking noises and got sticky as hell. Like the lubrication does not function at all. Pressure was set just about 7 bar ( I am about +100 kg with gear ). The fork was unrideable like the rigid one. I lowered the pressure to 5 bars and pumped the fork and it felt little bit better without the noise. LSR and HSR was set to little bit slower from default (about ( 5 clicks ). This was the third day on riding the fork after I got it back from the BOS. Sticky, play and noises...but hey atleast sun is shining.

P.S
    I might turn to Xfusion Vengeance because Finland has excellent dealer.

aka...appBLING72

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi again!

Two rides back here in southern Spain (those Switckback DH ones) I got another problem. Middle of the second run the fork started to make funny squeking noises and got sticky as hell. Like the lubrication does not function at all. Pressure was set just about 7 bar ( I am about +100 kg with gear ). The fork was unrideable like the rigid one. I lowered the pressure to 5 bars and pumped the fork and it felt little bit better without the noise. LSR and HSR was set to little bit slower from default (about ( 5 clicks ). This was the third day on riding the fork after I got it back from the BOS. Sticky, play and noises...but hey atleast sun is shining.

P.S
    Sorry to hear that. These were the things I was afraid of in dealing with BOS and initially felt comfortable enough to move forward. After having the fork and liking it, but it developing that play, I made my choice.

Right now the two premier forks with the best stock damping to me are X Fusion and Marzocchi. I really liked the vengeance, but use to be a big Zoke fan and rode my buds 55 & 44 RC3 and really liked what I felt so I'm fonna finish out the remainder of the season on Zocchi and re evaluate after either outer bike or winter.

My X Fusion Vector Air HLR is really impressing me on the rear of the HD right now too. I'm gonna do an extensive review/contrast on it, the Roco Lo(140mm mode), Vivid Air, CCDB Air, & RP23.

Hope you get everything sorted and back to riding!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi again!

P.S
    chris @ r53 has always been very helpful to me i really cant fault them....

about you issue, you say the fork went stiff, and squeeking noise,,,, have you noticed if there is any black rubber marks on the stanchion, ( like a rubber burn mark when you skid a tyre on a shiney floor/surface)
    the only reason i am asking is when i got my deville ( 160 taperd non trc) on my first ride i noticed it had lots of stiction, felt hard ( no where near as smooth as my ndee was) and i noticed the rubber mark on the airside stanchion, i emaild r53, who told this is not normal for a bos fork, and asked if i could send the fork back,
    i returned the fork to them, they contacted me the next day telling me that the fork had been sent out from the factory with no oil in the airside leg, this had caused the seal to dryout hence the stiction and black marks.
    they replaced the seals greased them and the bushings and put in the correct amount of oil. then sent a full report off to bos, so they could investigate how this could have happend.

MPI
    mtbr member
    The oil thing is what I am suspecting too. There is no skid or burn marks on the sliders. If it is an oil issue this turn out to be a bad comedy. My fork came back from BOSmtb from warranty repair (play which is back) just while ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast