Grams Light Bikes

Bolt tuning on my Mojo

Just updated my blog with a treatise on bolt tuning on my Mojo.

Refer to http://www.gramslightbikes.com

Update the blog or the Ibis forum with your comments please!

Enjoy.

Gram

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet

Enjoy.

Gram
    Nice job. What happened to the good ol' days when it was $1 per gram, haha.

$160 for 83 grams? Yikes. It is an addicting hobby, that's for sure. I'm too cheap: I'd rather take out one spare tube from the Camelbak.

I heard the seatcollar can save 50 grams if you get rid of the lever, but I like the looks of it as many others have pointed out.

www.derbyrims.com
    82 Grams is almost the weight of 1/3 cup of water (224 gms / cup). So any ride time perceptible performance gain would be mental.

But I imagine you've cut weight in every other area already with far less cost including rider weight and clothing.

Lighter weight isnít always an advantage on bikes, although it usually is.

I ride mostly smoother packed clay coastal California trails with light tires and it's a noticeable improvement compared to heavier tires on the smoother climbs.

But I've also noticed when the trail gets more rough and jagged or sandy, like some higher mountain and desert areas, that heavier tires roll and climb easier due to conserving rolling momentum or a flywheel effect (the same effect the 29'er riders perceive.)

Interesting and informative information on the bolts on the Mojo-C. Thanks.

Grams Light Bikes
    What can I say I am an old weight weenie. Its a boring winter here in Colorado so doing the bolt tuning has been entertaining.

I have not been on a ride since mid December. It usual dries out around here, but this winter has been cold and snowy. We got a couple of huge storms one after the other for several weeks and now we get lots of little storms. Hopefully in March sometime I will get out! Going stir crazy!

I just made an update on the blog with some other weight observations.

Yeah it is always weird cause I will dump several pounds of water in my camelback!

When climbing and doing technical rides I like the feeling of a lighter bike. Having the weight up on your pack (water, tools, etc) makes thing feel different, I like it that way.

The trails in in my part of Colorado are mostly rocky and we have lots of nasty Pikes Peaks gravel (sort of small pea gravel) and sand.

As soon as I can I will post all the part weights for my Mojo.

Gram

http://www.gramslightbikes.com/

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by pastajet

Enjoy.

Gram
    A little disappointing how little you can save on the linkage bolts ... I thought it was going to be more. The savings for the frame alone are just 29.6 which about is what I saved on my 5-spot linkages (excluding seat bolt)

By the way you can safely use aluminum on the front der binding bolt, on the rear der set (excluding the pinch bolt) and on the brake levers ... will save an additional 1-3 grams I put aluminum tape over my water bottle bolts (saves 0.3 grams )

Thank you for the info!

Grams Light Bikes
    Yea, there is really only 5 bolts and 2 small ones that are part of the links, so any weight savings is pretty tough to accomplish. I was able to save a total of 30 grams by switching to Ti bolts.

I suppose you could have the shaft pivot and the pin made from titanium but you would have to have it CNC somewhere by a Ti company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ... That's Actually How I Rationalize My Weight Weenie-ism

That's how I rationalize my weight Weenieism. The camel bac water and other junk. I gotta make everything as light as possible because of all the emergency crap I then add back on when I ride. Spare Tube, Patch Kit, co2 cartridge for quick change, Pump just in case, lil emergo light, emergo disc brake pads (no joke !), Air Blast Noice thingy for Mtn Lions, Multi-tool, duck tape, emergo knife, food and gels, oh yea.... 1 beer in case I'm badly hurt and know I'm not going make it by nawing my arm off to get out from under; at least I want one for the road !

Oh yea, http://www.gramslightbikes.com/
    Wow, good job.