mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bike park mojo hd?

I really want a dh bike for n* and mammoth but I just can't afford it. Right now I have a 160mm van and an x-fusion coil shock on the rear. This set up is good for an all mountain bike but I want some more capability and not feel so beat up after a few hours of riding. Is it worth upgrading to a 180mm fork with an angleset? Will this give me a more plush set up?

insert sarcasm here
    How bout one of these:

Bike park mojo hd?-hdjosh.jpg
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ive seen that pic for a while now and always been curious to how that rides. I picture the front end being super heavy and out of balance. But you never know

Off the back...
    I've done a few days at Silver Star and some on local shuttle trails on my HD with a 180. It handled pretty well. If you do use your HD, get your suspension dialed in on an easy lap before hitting the big stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a Totem 180mm and Angleset and settled on a -.5 (slacker) angle after trying 0 and -1. I found that to be the closest match in handling to the 160mm setup. A big rear shock is a must with this setup. Perfect bike for flowier DH trails.

Bike park mojo hd?-mojohd.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pwd81 View Post
    I have a Totem 180mm and Angleset and settled on a -.5 (slacker) angle after trying 0 and -1. I found that to be the closest match in handling to the 160mm setup. A big rear shock is a must with this setup. Perfect bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MojoHD.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	865818
    Did it change the way the bike felt, physically? Like the front of the bike is higher or out of balance from the rear? I like the way the bike feels and don't want to change that. I want the suspension to be more plush on big drops and rock gardens.

Lightly salted
    Check out JKW's bike in this video, 45 seconds in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sick! Thanks for that

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    Did it change the way the bike felt, physically? Like the front of the bike is higher or out of balance from the rear? I like the way the bike feels and don't want to change that. I want the suspension to be more plush on big drops and rock gardens.
    GEOMETRY: With the -0.5 (slacker) Angleset, it does not feel higher. It feels very balanced, but just a bit more DH oriented. It is what I was hoping for and I am picky. -0.5 is a significant change for the better with the 180mm fork, IMO. It is still nimble in tight terrain and switchbacks, but just a bit more DH capable. It does feel higher without the Angleset. I know its technically slacker at 180mm without the angleset, but it felt weird, like the front wheel was too far under me for how much travel their was. Felt surprisingly floppy at -1. Half a degree apparently makes a big difference. -0.5 was goldilocks for me, and handles pretty much the same as the 160 fork with no angleset.

PLUSHNESS: Depends on the fork and how its tuned. On an equally tuned fork, yes, its 20mm plusher than 160mm. The Totem was discontinued, so its hard to find 40mm single crown stanchions now. Its definitely burlier and stiffer than the Lyrik in rock gardens. I'm 210-215lbs with no gear and it definitely feels stiffer up front, without feeling over-forked. The front of the HD is so stiff it handles it just fine. 40mm stanchions may be overkill for lighter riders, but I really like it.

I do have the adjustable fork (150-180mm) and ride it outside the park on big climbs. With the adjustable fork and the dropper seat post, it does both uphill and downhill exceptionally well. Really, I can ride it uphill and downhill in either travel setting, but it definitely helps to adjust for steeps either way. If their are lots of switchbacks, I will sometimes use the 150mm setting for downhill. Between the seat post and the fork, the adjustability of this bike is really pretty amazing. I think 180-150 is better than 180-140. I don't think you have to have an adjustable fork, especially for the park, but it helps in steeps. Again, it's not too tall at 180mm with the -0.5 Angleset. There may be other 180 forks with a shorter A to C.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got a similar set up with a 170 Lyrik RC2DH, CCDB and a -1 Angleset specifically for park days. For my style of riding, it's ideal. I actually bought and quickly sold an Operator and an Intense 951 when I settled on this build. I have another HD and a Ripley that are better suited to long trail rides but I still take this one pretty frequently just for the fun factor. It climbs extremely well and handles the tight stuff too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike park mojo hd?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie View Post
    I've got a similar set up with a 170 Lyrik RC2DH, CCDB and a -1 Angleset specifically for park days. For my style of riding, it's ideal. I actually bought and quickly sold an Operator and an Intense 951 when I settled on this build. I have another HD and a Ripley that are better suited to long trail rides but I still take this one pretty frequently just for the fun factor. It climbs extremely well and handles the tight stuff too.
    So you like this set up better than a full on dh bike? My cheap ass just needs to pony up and rent a dh bike. Lmao!

www.derbyrims.com
    For DH park days swapping to a 26" rear wheel and 170mm fork slacks the HD angles more than 2 degrees and keeps the BB low, from my normal 650b XC setup with fork adjusted from 125 to 160mm with my custom modified u-turn coil x-fusion Ve*g*an** HLR fork. It's no DH bike, but tons of fun on the single diamond trails. Pictures are from summer 2012 : )
    Bike park mojo hd?-hd160-650b26.jpg Bike park mojo hd?-hd152-650b.jpg
    www.derbyrims.com STRONGER, STIFFER, LIGHTER

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    So you like this set up better than a full on dh bike? My cheap ass just needs to pony up and rent a dh bike. Lmao!
    I like it better for my style of park riding but it is no way a replacement for a full on DH bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2 years ago I used my HD also for N* and whistler (swapping wheels with big TK 2.4, 203 rotors, and stronger rims) and tried Roco DH shock (didn't like that much, never got to buy a vivid air) with Float 36 160 and stock Fox shock, but decided to build a glory instead which came out at only 34lbs. Having 64 deg slack, big volume front and back (original HD was too tight) and especially 8" suspension on the back was so much nicer... I never needed more than 160mm front (never bottomed it out) but the rear was lacking for me...

Also N* is so much rougher (than say whistler) that I was apprehensive to bring my super expensive HD. The Glory is cheaper and I don't care if I crash it.
    That said the HD is very capable - but swapping all the parts and re-aligning brakes, etc... is time consuming. If you have a second wheel set, fork, angle set, etc... than you getting close to a second used ALU bike IMO.

The only time I was happy to have 1 bike (with change of wheel) was when I did N* one day, and trim trail with lots of climbing the next... otherwise it's always a compromise but $$$ is also a constrain.