Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

This bike is fantastic!

Short story: I was an avid mountain biker and occasional racer from 1991-1999, left sport for 8 years (had two kids, work pressures blah blah), and now the Mojo has magically captured the experience/emotion/fun of my early days mountain biking.

My kids are getting a bit older 3.5 y/o and 6 y/o and I find I can now steal some time to myself. Living behind a keyboard over the last 5 years, I finally dusted off the hardtail and took it out some months back. Loved it but quickly started looking at full sussers and decided on the Mojo. Arrived some time ago, but finally put it together and got out for a decent ride with my Rhodesian Ridgeback.

While I cannot offer any comparisons with any other full suspension design, I can say that this bike is like magic. It climbs and descends so well, I feel like Iím cheating. This machine makes every drop a perfect landing and it makes short work of technical rocky climbs. I can already tell that much of the fine body movements and delicate weight/unweighting are largely unimportant on technical climbs. Pretty cool stuff.

Only two issues: the fox fork isnít nearly as plush as the rear (Iíll fiddle with it) and I have a creaking coming from the headset (Iíll fiddle with it).

Hats off to Wrench Science. IIRC, they are the only mail order shop for IBIS, and I think for good reason. Bike fit was excellent and Zach at WS demonstrated that he is deeply knowledgeable.

Itís raining pouring today, so no after work ride so Iím bumming. But I did get to my LBS for some much needed new gear.

Cheers all.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by frayed cable
    . Arrived some time ago, but finally put it together and got out for a decent ride with my Rhodesian Ridgeback.

My kids are 5 and 8 and you better believe that the second my Mojo arrives I'm kicking them out of my way to get to my bike!!!!! How long was "some time ago?"

I've been waiting since May 18th and I'm really anxious! I didn't take years off though so I guess you didn't remember what you were missing. Congratulations on coming back and for making a great choice with the Mojo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    At least 3 weeks. I got side tracked with my other passion, going to the racetrack with my track prepped sports car. Exhilarating, but in a much different way.

After I put the Mojo together, I told my wife that I was going to start racing mountain bikes again (I was joking). Nevertheless, that comment was met with shock and horror and 'how can I race cars and mountain bikes,' translation 'no fooking way are you leaving me for two hobbies when I have the kids.'

Thing is, she's right in a way. When I was deep into the sport, I didn't care nearly as much about stuff like sports cars. I have two, and am thinking of selling the uber expensive one and focusing on fitness and full suspension fun.

It's sort of hard to articulate, but I used to come back from hard rides in a state of euphoria. It was at a time when all was new to me and every ride was a new experience, even on old trails. I didn't get that feeling when I dusted off the hardtail. I completely got it back yesterday. I was awestruck. Alone on the trails with my dog, I was screaming like a giddy schoolgirl.

mtbr member
    Frayed,

I know exactly what you mean. My Mojo has definitely taken my enjoyment of mountain biking to the next level. On my maiden ride, I was flying down some wet trails and had to keep my mouth shut to avoid eating mud. It was really hard to do because I had a permanent smile all throughout the ride.

The good news is that it actually gets better as you learn to push your limits with this bike. It just begs to be ridden hard.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Agreed

I concur absolutely frayed and CK.

The name of the bike says it all.

You know my steez...

Thrilling hobbies!

At least 3 weeks. I got side tracked with my other passion, going to the racetrack with my track prepped sports car. Exhilarating, but in a much different way.

After I put the Mojo together, I told my wife that I was going to start racing mountain bikes again (I was joking). Nevertheless, that comment was met with shock and horror and 'how can I race cars and mountain bikes,' translation 'no fooking way are you leaving me for two hobbies when I have the kids.'

Sounds like we have the same wife! What kind of cars do you have and where do you race? I used to race motorcycles at Willow Springs Raceway in California so I know the exhilaration you speak of! It's big time adrenaline! The thing about mt. biking is you get a similar thrill PLUS the obvious benefit of increased fitness after every ride! Not to mention it's much more affordable that racing cars or motorcycles!

I'm a big IMSA fan. Post a picture of your car (maybe add your bike it the picture for thread relevance). I'd love to see it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    CK, just like in the early days when I was uncovering just how fast and how hard you can go on a mountain bike (then a rigid Diamond Back with a whopping 1.5" of fork travel), going to the Mojo is equally amazing. In just one ride I found it astonishing. . . the things you can do, including both gnarly climbs and drops. I'm obsessed all over again.

BunnV, I have a 2007 Porsche GT3 and a 1995 E36 M3 Lightweight. The M3 has a built euro motor putting down 307 rwhp, and is gutted and caged. The GT3, well, you are probably familiar with them. Here's a pic of me picking up my car with my son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's the axle

Mojos and Porsches

My 89 GT.

The nice thing about it is, I can toss the Mojo in the back.

If I had to choose between the two of them, I'd take the Mojo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    LOL, mojos and porsches. And *****cats and bears too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You guys are hardcore for sure. a $5K Mojo is one thing, but a $105KUS GT3 is just awesome! Congrats frayed, on both the Mojo and the Porsche. Both outstanding machines in every way. Funny how a bike can bring us all back to that special place....the pressures of work, family, etc. all fade and it's just you and ride. It really is too cool for words...

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007

porche alternative :)

First time at the track with the Subie - has a boxer engine at least!
    The car is sporting bike racks most of the time now

The guy in the 'white car' behind me eventually passed me on a straight only to spin off into the dirt at the end... he wasn't as fast after that
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

Downunder Mojophile
    This is what I race in. Trying to source the rack for my Mojo as well.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007

wow

Quote Originally Posted by ozelise

That's a very trick looking rack, on a very tasty car!

With the Sube just swapped out the Yakima raptor (downtube grabber) for a King something or other ( wheel grabber )... waiting to put some paint protection film around the down tube so i can use the cable lock without worries of paint erosion...

Frayed - sweet!
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

You know my steez...

Great choices in bicycles and cars!!!!!

You have the correct cars (as if you didn't know that). The E36 is the perfect track car and the GT3.....OMG, that is a dream car. I've driven a stock 997, I can only imagine what your car feels like. Hey, cute kid too! Thanks for the pic, you've got great taste and a great life! Congratulations!

You know my steez...

Trick toys!

Quote Originally Posted by ozelise
    The thought of seeing an Elise with a Mojo on the side is just too trick! I love it! I'm glad to see you guys actually drive your cars on the track! Awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting trend here with fast cars and mojos.

Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    You guys are hardcore for sure. a $5K Mojo is one thing, but a $105KUS GT3 is just awesome! Congrats frayed, on both the Mojo and the Porsche. Both outstanding machines in every way. Funny how a bike can bring us all back to that special place....the pressures of work, family, etc. all fade and it's just you and ride. It really is too cool for words...
    Thanks mang!

Mountain biking has dominated more years of my life as my passion than motorsports, and I already look at the shiny, sexy orange mojo with the same affection I have for some of the finest cars I've had the pleasure of owning. In other words, I obsess over it already.

Over the years having experienced some nice toys, I've come to understand that positional goods are just that and do not give the pleasure commensurate with their costs. It was an expensive lesson; I bought a Ferrari Modena 360, 2004 with 5k miles. Beautiful car but not the performance of the modern 997 chassis from Porsche and for that reason I had trouble totally enjoying it. Anyway, as cool as the GT3 is and as cool as the Ferrari was, I don't think I ever hooted and hollered out loud while driving them, even on track! To me that says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    You have the correct cars (as if you didn't know that). The E36 is the perfect track car and the GT3.....OMG, that is a dream car. I've driven a stock 997, I can only imagine what your car feels like. Hey, cute kid too! Thanks for the pic, you've got great taste and a great life! Congratulations!
    Hey thanks! The E36 is a rocking great car for track use; so tractable and truly a giant slayer. The GT3 is a whole 'nother level but it's hard to absorb the risk of a 100k car on track driven at my limits.

Yeah, Jake is a cute kid, he looks like his mom. I've had people ask me who's kid that is. LOL.

mtbr member
    Interesting to see so many cars guys on a bike forum. I'm a car guy too. My guess is it is easy for us to embrace carbon fiber as a strong material because it is so common in the auto side.

I just picked up my Mojo last week (takes over for my 05 Reign). I used the money I was going to use to upgrade my current sports car (18 months old getting itchy). The truth is I never worry about losing my licence when I ride, its good for me, its dangerous and it is full of tech. Every dollar I spend on my bikes gives me a much better return than on my cars. I have actually lowered the ceiling on the price of the cars I will now buy (especially the ones that are for me not the family) because it is hard to justify the expense and the gas (environmental reasons etc.) The thrill and reward ratio seems to be getting out of whack.

I do however wish the cycling press had even one magazine as well written, photographed etc as EVO, CAR or Top Gear. All of the magazines are really unimaginative and very weak from a technical and entertainment level.

The Mojo is a great bike, I have been out riding every day and it is getting better every time. My old bike feels like a tank.

mtbr member
    I just do DE's. Too much politics in club racing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This thread is deeply intriguing and has finally ended my days as a lurker. I too share the twin passions of the Mojo and quick cars. I have an 06 BMW 330i that I'll be taking to the track this summer, and to Oktoberfest in the fall. (Oktoberfest is the annual week-long gathering of BMW car nuts).

Cycling and cars seem to tickle the same "need for speed" gene in many of our brains. What other hobbies do y'all enjoy? Some of my other pursuits are road riding, skiing, trail running, kayaking, travel, and reading.

Helvetica you're right that EVO, CAR, and Top Gear are top notch mags. Thankfully, I've found that several of the British cycling mags are also top notch: MBUK, What MountainBike, etc.

As for the Mojo, it's the finest bike I've ever owned and gives me constant urges to flee urban Virginia for the splendor of the mountain West.

www.derbyrims.com
    Ex-Porsche driver here. Started about 25 years ago in my mid-20's with a trusty rusty '67 911S. Got tired of repairing rust damage and couldn't afford a nice 911 so got a 914 1.7 and got into autocrossing with the Porsche Club of America. Then a black 914 2.0 which I tweaked the suspension and won top time of day at the PCA Parade at Laguna Seca autocross in '92 (beat all street tired Porsches). Then a stock 914-6 TTOD -1 by 0.1 second to a local tricked out 944 Turbo at Jack Murphy Stadium San Diego PCA Parade in '94. I got into Time Trialing with the Golden Gate Region and instructed for a few years with GGR at Laguna, Sears Point (Infineon), and we were some of the first drivers at the new Thunder Hill and Buttonwillow tracks when they opened. Then a 944 Turbo (that was a blast on the track but terrible boost lag on the street), then a 944 nomal. I like the versatility and comfort of the 944's with the hatch rear window for carrying bicycles. I also could break down my early rigid mountain bike into the back trunk of the 914's. I wrote a how to guide for 4-wheel alignment of Porsches 20+ years ago called ' Home Alignment of Porsche for Street or Track' that still has word of mouth demand!

4 years ago with my last Porsche a 944, I bought a sport bike, a used '02 ZX-6R. And decided to sell the 944 after another year since I was not driving it except occasional track days and really not learning anything any more without much more horsepower (and cubic dollars!). Now I have this '02 R1 I've customed very much for long-distance street riding (adjustable bars and foot pegs, suspension upgrades, etc.) It's cutting into my mountain bike time some. But the Mojo is ridden about 3 times as many days as this, my only road bike.
    Last edited by derby; 07-01-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Update picture w/repainted cowlings

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Same here. I may jump into club racing some years down the road, but for now it offers too much aggravation for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm a long time bmw fan, and have had multiple. In fact, more of a bmw guy than a porsche guy. The 330 based on the E9x chassis is fantastic. When you find the need to change things as you get more track time under your belt, be sure to talk to James at Bimmerworld. They have been campaigning an E90 in World Challenge and know chassis setup better than anyone at the moment.

But that's pretty far down the road for you and only if you stick with tracking.

I've been on track for years, and struggled with where to fall along the track car- street car continuum. I finally threw in the towel and built up a track only car (though it still has plates). That way, I can drive a bit looser and have more fun w/o worrying about balling up my street car that has to get me to work the next day. I also let friends and clients drive it on track to indoctrinate them into the sport. Been trying to get my wife out there as well. Hopefully this fall!

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007

wheel - o - philes

It is interesting how folks who care so much about the quality of driving experience picked the mojo... of course i don't know if it is just this thread or if you'd find similar tastes throughout mtbr...?

It would be fun to know the car : bike correlation for different brand models of bikes !

The mojo was unique in my search in that i had a nervous excitement the night before i got to ride one for the first time - something inside already knew

BMW's - '69 2800 CS owned for over 20 yrs, '84 320i nice transpo back in the mid 80's.
    Acura Integra '92 - surprisingly good little trackable car with a few little upgrades - first few trackdays with this one. headroom a minus...

80's dream car - the BMW CSL
    90's dream car - Acura NSX - dream waning
    00's dream car - kinda fancy a Cayman.. Ford GT.. Audi R8

Other hobbies - photography, xc skiing, audiophile, hiking, traveling,

I told my wife i was as or more excited about the mojo than buying a new car!
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Hey thanks! The E36 is a rocking great car for track use; so tractable and truly a giant slayer. The GT3 is a whole 'nother level but it's hard to absorb the risk of a 100k car on track driven at my limits.
    another dream is to have a track only car! The GT3 has got to be whipsering to you, c'mon take me to the track! even at 8/10 it would be worth it

For me the subie was 'my baby' and i put off the first track day till 'she' had over 100k miles under her.

One of the feelings i got about the mojo is that it will be a great bike to build skills with over time.
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hmmmm.... well I can't compete with the GT3... but my Ibis usually travels atop my Audi S4 Avant Wagon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast