Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Biggest rear tyre to fit the Ripley?

I am planning to use a big combo: the Syntace MX35 wheel (28.4mm inner width) and Maxxis Ardent 2.4". On P35-rims these tires measure 58.2mm. So Hans - will they fit?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hans told me a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2,35" will fit. The Maxxis Ardent 2,4" should be smaller than the Schwalbe, so it will fit too I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    At the spot where the tread is usually the widest we have about 72 mm space.
    We have test fit Pergatory 2.4 and Hans Dampf 2.35 and they fit OK. We have not tested the Ardent 2.4 on a wide rim. The height is usually where you would run out of room first though and the Hans Dampf is a tall tire, so maybe it will fit. You guys really would like a 30" wheeled bike I see ; )

H

mtbr member
    Thanks, Hans.

A wider rim normally flattens the profile of the tyre somewhat, so if there is 72mm of space and a HD fits, I'll go for it with the MX35 wheels and Ardents.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just wanted to update this....

With my I9 Torch wheels (23.5) and Nobby Nic 2.25 tires, there is only a few mm of clearance between the outside knobs and the frame. I'll take a pic later and post it up. I had to put some helicopter tape there because scratches were showing up on the frame there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    weirwolf 2.3 on Enve AM rim is a very tight squeeze.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nobby Nic 2.35 on 23mm wide rim. Fits but not much room spare
    Biggest rear tyre to fit the Ripley?-20130727ibis-ripley03.jpg

mtbr member
    wonder how it compares to sultan or 429c?

mtbr member
    I'm currently running a 2.3" specialized purgatory on the rear on Easton Haven carbon wheels, and it doesn't fit, I just can't get full travel because of the tire bottoming out on the seat tube.. found that out after I noticed some black stuff (rubber from tire) on the seat tube!
    Conner "Big Bear" Kuhns
    San Jose, CA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I run Hans Dampf 2.35 trailstar on Syntace W30 wheels. They rub the seat tube when bottoming out. I have added some tape and it looks like it's ok.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Buyoen! I wonder whether the extra width of the W35 will flatten the profile enough to avoid rubbing.

mtbr member
    it will not. the circumference of the tire will not change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    In theory a wider rim will change the tyre profile to a a slightly less bulbous shape. How much is another matter.

The MTB Lab
    With wide tires its the right side clevis where it will rub. You might or might not get a taller tire to hit the seat tube on full compression. I also depends on your weight, psi in the shock and whether you huck or hit big G-Outs.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the new Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on the rear of the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I did. It fits OK, but you get a 1-2 mm clearance from the frame

mtbr member

How about a conti x-king 2.4? Has anyone tried that tire?

mtbr member
    Any experience with Maxxis Ardent 2.4" on the Ripley so far?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Ardent 2.4 rubbed against the back of the seat tube, removing the paint. It also rubs the cross piece joining the chainstays. Not sure if it really rubs or just throws more grit at that piece, but I went back to the 2.25 and don't have the seat tube rub anymore. I now run a 2.4 Ardent on the front and the 2.25 on the back and like the setup.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmarc View Post
    The Ardent 2.4 rubbed against the back of the seat tube, removing the paint. It also rubs the cross piece joining the chainstays. Not sure if it really rubs or just throws more grit at that piece, but I went back to the 2.25 and don't have the seat tube rub anymore. I now run a 2.4 Ardent on the front and the 2.25 on the back and like the setup.
    Be sure to protect your seattube with tape. Fat tires will rub the seatstay just by the cleavis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hans Dampf rubs

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmarc View Post
    Just checked after a big ride with lot's of motion in the rear and the Hans Damf rubbed the seat tube and rubbed off the I in Ibis and made a nice skid mark below that. Going to switch to a racing ralph 2.25

mtbr member
    Maybe we need to update the thread with: Tires that do fit the rear of the Ripley. I'm going to want something bigger than the stock ones when I go to Sedona in a month and a half and I still don't know what I'm going to use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redway View Post
    Just checked after a big ride with lot's of motion in the rear and the Hans Damf rubbed the seat tube and rubbed off the I in Ibis and made a nice skid mark below that. Going to switch to a racing ralph 2.25
    What rims are you using?
    Last edited by aequitas; 12-23-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added context

mtbr member

It really pisses me off that Ibis still cannot make room for beefy rear tires. Why!?

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    It really pisses me off that Ibis still cannot make room for beefy...
    I really don't get you guys. Why do you need a wide tire in back? The Ripley is an XC or Trail bike - meant to go fast. A wide tire in front is all you need for max grip in corners. 2.3 or 2.4 in front with a 2.2 in rear is all you need...unless you have noob maneuvering skills. I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous. Go sell your Ripley and buy an HD or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just a warning, my friend who also owns a ripley just sent me a pic of his seattube and the first two layers of carbon shredded away by a high speed rear tire, it was a nobby nic 2.35 rear tire and the fox shock had an air pressure issue that was covered under warranty. Obviously it was an extended loss of pressure in the rear and not a quick easy bump from a bottom out, but it indeed damaged the frame. He wasn't running any helicopter tape on the seat tube like I am, that might prevent a little damage in an all out failure (not likely to happen) I'd suggest letting ALL the air out of your shocks to test clearance.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Thorin_2 View Post
    I really don't get you guys. Why do you need a wide tire in back? The Ripley is an XC or Trail bike - meant to go fast. A wide tire in front is all you need for max grip in corners. 2.3 or 2.4 in front with a 2.2 in rear is all you need...unless you have noob maneuvering skills. I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous. Go sell your Ripley and buy an HD or something.
    The Ripley is very capable over a large variety of uses from XC-racing to light DH. To make the most of those capabilities you need to be able to run larger volume tires. 2.25" is more or less the standard size for XC-tires (and fits ok) now but 2.35" are now the trail tyre standard size with many running 2.4" (both rubs). Big volume tires lets you run lower pressure and have more grip, more ruggedness and more speed on real life terrain.

One thing is for sure - mtb-tires are not gonna get skinnier, just bigger. No surprise. Look at rims, frame tubes, suspension travel, skis, whatever.

And Ibis boasted about plenty of room for big tires such as Hans Dampf 2.35" in advance. Tire clearance is a longrunning issue on Ibises. It's nice to have a big front tyre, but most of your weight is over the rear and hence where you need the volume the most.

So why not make sure you allow some extra space when you make a new bike and test it with big trail tires? For many this is actually a dealbreaker.

And a HD is a different bike.

"640k memory is all you ever gonna need...." Bill Gates.

mtbr member
    @simenf, I appreciate the politeness of your rebuttal, a skill which has become increasingly less common in this day in age.

It would be unfortunate for the over generalization of "wider is better" to mislead riders who are new to the sport. For mechanized vehicles that generates gobs of torque, like motorcycles and corvettes, wider rear tires make a whole lot of sense.

Mountain bikes, on the other hand, are better suited towards a front/rear tire width ratio that favors a wider front and narrower (relative to the front) rear tire width. Why? Because cornering is where traction is needed most, and all else being equal (i.e. if you were running identically sized tires front and rear), you would lose traction in the front before you lost traction in the rear.

Thus to achieve the a balanced cornering profile you would employ a front tire that is (relative to the rear) wider and grippier, and rear tire that is (relative to the front) a bit narrower and faster rolling. Hence my recommended 2.35-2.4” front with 2.25-2.3” rear for the most balanced and sensible (less is more) setup.

I will concede that there is one scenario where a wide rear tire comes in handy, and that is for short and punchy climbs where rear traction is at a significant premium. And I will also concede the fact that there is a trend towards ever-wider tires, even though it defies logic at some point, as weight and rolling resistance (RR) will increase proportionally to tire size (after a certain threshold, as RR is actually reduced for wide tires running low pressures over skinny ‘old school’ sized tires running higher pressures).

To conclude, I think we we can both agree that at some threshold, traction gains are offset by weight and RR. I don’t know if there is sufficient empirical evidence to determine what that threshold is. Is 2.4/2.3 F/R wide enough? Or do we really need 2.5/2.4 F/R or god forbid wider?

Although I cannot proffer a conclusive answer, I would propose my recommended F/R ratio mentioned earlier as providing the best of both worlds, and fits the Ripley perfectly to boot.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Thorin_2 - I try to keep it friendly :-)

However, you seem to confuse grip with volume. Bigger volume does NOT equal higher rolling resistance; that is a old myth that has been debunked many times:

Wider is faster! | Schwalbe North America
    source: http://www.mtbonline.co.za/downloads...llustrated.pdf

The rolling resistance is largely from the deformation of the tyre, and more volume/larger diameter will reduce deformation and hence also rolling resistance. Most mountain biker's pressures are well within the range where lower could be better for travelling over rough ground. That, in most cases, requires a bit more volume to play with.

In other words, more grip at the front is safe and useful, but it does not have to come as a compromise to rear end volume. A big, light rolling rear tyre (preferably set up tubeless) is my preference as it gives that combination of compliance, grip and puncture resistance, all the more pressure tuneable due to the large volume. This is even more important to larger riders that otherwise have to run higher pressure than optimal to avoid snakebites or blowing tyres off the rim with high sideways loading.

People should be free to choose their desired rear tyre within reasonable limits, and I believe Ibis has set those limits a bit too narrowly with the rear frame of the Ripley.

You may have a point regarding the tyre profile and riding dynamics, but that can also be tuned with different rim widths. The weight penalty of the wider version of most tyres has been getting pretty small over the last few years.

More: Rolling resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    @simenf, I am well aware of the fact that RR decreases as volume/diameter increases; however what most people fail to realize is that it is not a linear progression between these two, while weight will increase linearly as diameter increases, which is why you don't see XC racers racing fat bikes!

I must admit that I had failed to consider the needs of clydesdales as perhaps the most obvious reason for larger volume tires in the rear. At 5'10' and weighing a svelte 155lbs, I can run 20psi on my 2.25 RoRos without any downside; so I agree with your rationale there.

In general I agree that people should be able to choose their desired tire within reasonable limits, and personally I think 2.35 is a reasonable constraint. Interestingly, some on this thread have indicated trouble even with that size (Schawlbe NNs), which is surprising, until you read that one guy had a faulty shock and the other guy was bottoming out his shock (wrong sag? clyde doing big drops?).

In any case I think we are not so far apart in our opinions. Really it boils down to what that reasonable constraint is for the rear tire size. Should be it be 2.4? Higher? Perhaps; but truth be told there aren't a whole lot of options in that range - some Contis, Ardents, and RoRos I think. Not exactly a cornucopia of wide tire options. That is why I'm personally ok with the 2.25-2.35 as a "reasonable" rear constraint.

mtbr member
    OK, that understanding was not so clear in your first post :-)

I believe we agree.

I got my Syntace W35 (28.5mm ID) rear wheel today and will be investigating the rear tyre options in combination with a wide rim as soon as the conditions allow. I got Ardent 2.4", HD 2.35" and Specialized Ground Control 2.3" lined up and ready to go.

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro in 2.25" works fine on a Crest (21mm ID), as does Rocket Ron 2.25" (an underrated tyre in my opinion). It is very close on full compression on the ISPs, but it clears the seat tube.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just want to to add to this thread.

Knobby Nic 2.25 = No rubbing on seat tube
    Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 = Rubbing on Seat tube
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 = Rubbing on Seat Tube.

I weigh 140lbs, and the shock is set to 150psi.

mtbr member
    Thanks, mcgong. Which rim is used?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Thanks, mcgong. Which rim is used?

I have the I9 Torch Wheels.

mtbr member
    I can run a Continental Trail King 2.2 on an Arch EX.

The Trail King 2.4 rubs seat tube and drive side of triangle.

Has anyone run 35mm wide rims on the Ripley yet?

mtbr member

Ripley Rear Tire Fit Updates?

Bumping this thread by providing a summary of findings so far. It would be great if each new post could include the below list with added/modified/removed entries where applicable, so that newcomers can browse the last post and get a complete list of tires that fit or failed to fit.

YES: Continental Trail King 2.2 on Arch EX rim
    YES*: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (yes but 1/2mm clearance only)
    YES: Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    YES: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 on Syntace W30 (rub seat tube when bottom out (apply tape))
    YES: Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.25 on Crest (21mm ID)
    YES: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Crest (21mm ID) and Easton Haven Carbon rim
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on I9 Torch (few mm clearance)
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.23 on 23mm wide rim. (NOTE: 2nd report says no but due to shock failure so not a proper test)
    YES: WTVB Weirwolf 2.3 on ENVE (although tight squeeze)

NO: Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 on I9 Torch (rubs on seat tube)
    NO*: Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on I9 Torch
    NO: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (rub seat tube)
    NO: Continental Trail King 2.4 on Arch rim (rubs on triangle)

MAYBE: 2.3 Specialized Purgatory on Easton Haven (bottoms out on seat tube) (Note: contradicts Hans 2.4 claim)

*Contradictory claims. One says 2.35 fits (barely) while another says 2.25 does not. Difference in rims?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bumping this thread by providing a summary of findings so far. It would be great if each new post could include the below list with added/modified/removed entries where applicable, so that newcomers can browse the last post and get a complete list of tires that fit or failed to fit.

YES*: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (yes but 1/2mm clearance only)
    YES: Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    YES: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 on Syntace W30 (rub seat tube when bottom out (apply tape))
    YES: Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.25 on Crest (21mm ID)
    YES: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Crest (21mm ID) and Easton Haven Carbon rim
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on I9 Torch (few mm clearance)
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.23 on 23mm wide rim. (NOTE: 2nd report says no but due to shock failure so not a proper test)
    YES: WTVB Weirwolf 2.3 on ENVE (although tight squeeze)

NO*: Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on I9 Torch (rubs on seat tube)
    NO: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (rub seat tube)

MAYBE: 2.3 Specialized Purgatory on Easton Haven (bottoms out on seat tube) (Note: contradicts Hans 2.4 claim)

*Contradictory claims. One says 2.35 fits (barely) while another says 2.25 does not. Difference in rims?

Thanks!

Updated the Contradictory claim for the Ikon 2.2. Fits width wise, but rubs on seat tube.

mtbr member
    UPDATE: HD, GC and ISP. Moved some to MAYBE. Please specify rim when making updates!

YES*: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (yes but 1/2mm clearance only).
    YES: Maxxis Ardent 2.25.
    YES: Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.25 on Crest (21mm ID).
    YES: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Crest (21mm ID) and Easton Haven Carbon rim.
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on I9 Torch (few mm clearance).
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on 23mm wide rim. (NOTE: 2nd report says no but due to shock failure so not a proper test).
    YES: WTB Weirwolf 2.3 on ENVE (although tight squeeze).
    YES: Specialized Ground Gontrol 2.3 on W35.

MAYBE: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (rub seat tube) Update: On W35 they rub only a little. Probably OK if you tape up and run a lower pressure.
    MAYBE: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 on Syntace W30 (rub seat tube when bottom out (apply tape)) OK. W35 (ID 28.5mm) fits, but only 1 mm space on RHS. Probably not useable. Forgot to check if it rubs the seat tube, but as it fits W30 it is probably OK there. Needs to be tested on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Updated with 2.35 Nobby Nic on Light-Bicycle carbon trail rim: (YES):

YES*: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (yes but 1/2mm clearance only).
    YES: Maxxis Ardent 2.25.
    YES: Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.25 on Crest (21mm ID).
    YES: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Crest (21mm ID) and Easton Haven Carbon rim.
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on I9 Torch (few mm clearance).
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on 23mm wide rim. (NOTE: 2nd report says no but due to shock failure so not a proper test).
    YES: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 on Light-Bicycle carbon trail rim.
    YES: WTB Weirwolf 2.3 on ENVE (although tight squeeze).
    YES: Specialized Ground Gontrol 2.3 on W35.

MAYBE: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (rub seat tube) Update: On W35 they rub only a little. Probably OK if you tape up and run a lower pressure.
    MAYBE: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 on Syntace W30 (rub seat tube when bottom out (apply tape)) OK. W35 (ID 28.5mm) fits, but only 1 mm space on RHS. Probably not useable. Forgot to check if it rubs the seat tube, but as it fits W30 it is probably OK there. Needs to be tested on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the list and updates. Bummed out on tire size with this bike! backcountry riding in Montana is hard on big tires. don't know if i will keep this frame? bummed

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    simonf - How are those W35s? I'm liking that option for either a Ripley or a 2014 Horsethief. I have Dually's with 2.4 Ardent on my Jones SS and the volume and grip is like nothing else.

mtbr member

@demondan: I see what you mean as conditions around here are rough too. Just remember that those wider rims give more volume to smaller tyres.

@xbrian: haven't tried them yet due to the white stuff outside!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just fitted Specialized Purgatory 2.3 Control on my Arch Ex wheels, and there is still approximately 5 mm distance between the tire and the seat tube when I release all the pressure in the shock. Frame is a medium Ripley. Off the top of my head that should allow a rim that is up to 12,5 mm wider than the Arch Ex 21 mm internal width, i.e. a 33,5 mm rim, and still leave one mm to spare at full compression.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    not the circumference of the rubber part of the tire, but the practical circumference is made up of the rubber tire and the internal width of the rim. you can easily demonstrate this by taking a strip of paper and change the distance between the ends to simulate different rim widths. the change in diameter equals the change in circumference divided by pi, i.e a rough estimate is that every 3 mm increase in rim width increases diameter by 1 mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had mine in May of last year and sold it in August. I tried multiple tyres on the back and could not get the clearance i needed. Ardent 2.25 did not fit on my large frame. Same with a nobby nic 2.25 and a bontrager x4. I found it real hard to get a tyre that was fit for purpose and did not rub so I sold it on. I do miss it a bit was a great bike super fast but grew tired of anticipating the noise of it hitting my seat tube. I am pretty hard on my bikes so this did not help but also those measuring the clearance need to remember that if there is 5mm or less clearance it will hit on a big impacts due to flex in frame and bigger forces involved as opposed to just pushing/sitting on the frame to test.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    I tried multiple tyres on the back and could not get the clearance i needed. Ardent 2.25 did not fit on my large frame. Same with a nobby nic 2.25 and a bontrager x4.
    Hello Forum!

If a 2.25" tire is not clearing there is something wrong with the frame.
    Just contact us and we'll help sort it out.

Hans

mtbr member
    I am running a 2.25 Nobby Nic in the back and it fits with room to spare. Even the 2.35 appears to fit (albeit with little room to spare), so long as you don't bottom out your shock. My current NN rear and 2.35 HD in front are the perfect combination of grip and low RR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Hello Forum!

If a 2.25" tire is not clearing there is something wrong with the frame.
    Just contact us and we'll help sort it out.

Hans
    I did email and then call, ibis techs tried to help by suggesting other tyres nothing else was forthcoming at the time. I would of loved to of sorted it out as I loved the bike but I went to see fox here in the uk and they could not work out why it was happening and I left it with a shop for a while who tried different set ups. Either I had a faulty frame or the tolerance between rear tyre and seat tube was too tight to begin with. Like I say I would of liked to of sorted it but at the time felt I had exhausted my options.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Hans Dampf 2.35 on Nox Composites XCR

Biggest rear tyre to fit the Ripley?-bike-tire-clearance.jpg

Frame size Medium. I'm running a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 on a Nox Composites XCR rim at 30 psi with no issues. Ride tested with full shock compression resulting in no rubbing on the seat tube. Photos are of the seat tube area, shock air released for full travel, and the right forward chain stay area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biggest rear tyre to fit the Ripley?-chainstay.jpg  

Last edited by mgs4410; 06-03-2014 at 12:57 AM.

mtbr member

Hans,

Which tyres are you running?

Not HD?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast