Slothful dirt hippie

BEWARE the Mavic hub...

I have an '09 SLX Mojo that my fabulous husband bought new for me on Valentine's day '10. I'm able to do some 1000'+ laps on a ridge behind town on my lunch hour so it's racked up ~2500 miles ('puter went out this summer, just finally got the new one). I'm a very conservative rider. And I LOVE my bike.

BUT THE MAVIC HUB THAT CAME WITH THIS THING IS JUNK. If by some chance somebody's still got one PLEASE know that it's just a matter of time and riding before it fails, so start saving money now. Do a google search on such phrases as "Mavic death howl" and you'll see what's going on... these things apparently have a plastic bushing that simply doesn't last. The hub will start to make this characteristic screech when it's on it's last legs, although the second time I burned through it I had a little warning in intermittent pawl clicking when I was pedaling forward that just wasn't right.

I had my hub rebuilt as last season's winter overhaul, and when it went out again at the end of this season my husband announced (with a fair bit of animated ranting toward Mavic) that I was getting a Hope/Stan's Arch hoop in back so we didn't have to deal with it any more.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Dropshot Champ!
    i have to tear into my mavic ksyriums (road) twice a year. That plasticyrubber bushing is a POS.

I've had the death howl a few times on the road, scary as **** when it gets that loud!

time for new wheels!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yeah, the first time I heard it I was on my way down a big road hill near my house. It came and went a couple times and we were both mystified until we got home. All Hail The Google.

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    ...time for new wheels!
    Just do it- waaaaay better than being stuck way out there with a wheel that won't turn any more, and sure as helz better than dropping money on a crappy product over and over!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Which wheel set are you all referring to? I have a set of 2012 Crossmax STs on my Cannondale and I think that the rear hubs were redesigned for 2011 or 2012. So far, I really like them. They are stiff and fairly light. The spokes are tougher than sticks and derailleurs too. or maybe that is . I'm not sure.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Which wheel set are you all referring to?...
    '09 CrossRides. The rims and spokes have been trouble-free, although as I said I'm a pretty conservative rider so I don't have wheel problems often even on cheap OEM stuff.

The LBS was considering just re-stringing a Hope hub on the same rims but said there was some kind of issue w/ spoke count or pattern that I can't remember, so Stan's Arch it is. For now I'll just keep the front CrossRide as I haven't had an issue w/ it. Maybe I'll get a matching front wheel next winter, but I'm not that worked up about rolling a mis-matched pair.... just so long as it keeps rolling!

mtbr member
    The FTS hubs are well known for that issue, they require a relube every month or two to keep them lasting long if you ride a lot. The new ITS 4 hubs are much better and my 09 Crossmax SX hubs have been trouble free with only a once a year relube and my buddy has the same wheels bought at the same time and has yet to do any maintenance on them with no issue.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    ... I have a set of 2012 Crossmax STs on my Cannondale and I think that the rear hubs were redesigned for 2011 or 2012...
    A little Google suggests that they've redesigned their hubs and chucked the nylon bushing recently, so hopefully you're beyond it.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Yes: mavic hubs need maintenance, more than several other brands you could choose. No: one persons experience is not a valid sample size to statistically determine junk status.

I could also say Fox forks are junk because about once per week I see one that has ruined uppers after less than a year of use. But are Fox forks junk? No, they need maintenance.

My last SRAM chain got 350 miles on it till it was really stretched. Is it junk too? Or did I just ride hard and through some tough dry conditions.

I wish we could all put 1000's of hours of use into our stuff and ride them into the ground, but we can't.

It's not 1990 and we are not all riding fully rigid Shimano XT bikes with thumbshifters. Although that would be awesome.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post

I could also say Fox forks are junk because about once per week I see one that has ruined uppers after less than a year of use. But are Fox forks junk?
    this is sig worth. Yes!

mtbr member
    But are Fox forks junk? .
    Yup!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yes: mavic hubs need maintenance, more than several other brands you could choose. No: one persons experience is not a valid sample size to statistically determine junk status...

My parents once had a station wagon that kept killing water pumps at inopportune times, so Dad started carrying around an extra water pump and tools in the back. Where I come from this is not considered a triumph of engineering.

We have multiple bikes in the fleet that have done multiple years and thousands of miles that have had ZERO hub maintenance. Ever. And I'm talking OEM/Deore middling quality stuff. This is the first hub we've tangled up with that required any attention whatsoever, and given that there's so many vastly more reliable products out there I'm not inclined to give them a pass on it.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Deore hubs are far more reliable than Mavic hubs. Unless you are a big torker and can blow up the pawls, you can run a Deore of those into the ground. I'm talking 10k miles plus.

Mavic hubs under regular use require maintenance about 2x's per year. So there are lots of people who should stay away from Mavic hubs if they don't want to maintain them. That doesn't make them junk though. Chris King hubs require maintenance about 2x's per year too.

I was really calling into question your scientific method of having one failure and then proclaiming that everyone should stay away. It's the physicist in me, my apologies

All that said, I don't run Mavic hubs myself on my mtb, as I think the maintenance interval is too short. DT Swiss is my favorite for the high end, and shimano deore/slx/deore XT on the lower end get my nod for ride them into to the ground with no maintenance.

so I agree with you, Mavic is not right for people you don't think their performance vs maintenance equation is good.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I started having problems with my 2010 crossmax ST, enough play in the freehub that shifting was funky, replaced the bushing with this
    New Hubdoctor Pro Mavic Freehub Rebuild Kit Hybrid Ceramic Bearings | eBay
    been maintenance free for about 2 years now.

I agree with Kaj though, lack of maintenance leading to failure is not Mavic's fault, yes, their hubs are not the best, lesson learned.

What does this have to do with Ibis at all?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    I started having problems with my 2010 crossmax ST, enough play in the freehub that shifting was funky, replaced the bushing with this
    New Hubdoctor Pro Mavic Freehub Rebuild Kit Hybrid Ceramic Bearings | eBay
    been maintenance free for about 2 years now.

I agree with Kaj though, lack of maintenance leading to failure is not Mavic's fault, yes, their hubs are not the best, lesson learned.

What does this have to do with Ibis at all?
    I've also used hub doctor freehub rebuild kit on 2 mavic wheel sets. 2006 crossmaxx xl and 2010 crossmaxx sx. Very easy to rebuild and your good to go. It takes all of maybe 20 minutes to remove the wheel break apart the freehub, rebuild it and put every thing back together. I don't mind the maintance and see it as a part of mountain biking. Things last alot longer when they are maintaned regularly. I don't think Mavic hubs are junk, they just require regular maintance like alot of other mtb parts do if you want them to last and work good.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    ...What does this have to do with Ibis at all?
    The wheel came stock on my '09 Mojo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well, in any case, I like my Crossmax STs a lot (other than not being able to de-sticker the rims)...probably put 2000+ miles on them, did the HubDoctor fix, trued the rear slightly once, no broken spokes, tires seal up nicely, I'm in no rush to replace them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for this posting, I had no idea of this issue until a hour ago,..

But I took me about 20minutes to take apart my two hubs and overhaul them, one of them has a little play the other one still perfect..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chris King...end of story