mtbr member
    May 2007

Best Upgrade for a Mojo HD???

I am looking to upgrade my Mojo HD and am not sure about what is the best upgrade. I am currently considering updating my suspension or moving to carbon wheels. Currently I have a Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti fork and a Push'd RockShox Vivid coil shock. I am considering upgrading to air suspension like an X-Fusion Vengeance and an X-Fusion Vector Air or Cane Creek Double barrel Air. My other consideration is moving from the Stans Flow wheels with Ibis hubs to a carbon wheel set with better hubs like Hadley, Hope or Chris King. I love the bike but am always looking to see what I can do to make it better. I'd appreciate the feedback from other Mojo HD riders to give me some insight into what upgrade will give me the most bang for my buck and improve the riding experience. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The cheapest upgrade i made was switching to the super low friction seals in my talas when i had it serviced. What a huge difference. The most noticeable upgrade was replacing my rp23 with a CCDB Air with the high flow air canister. It climbs and descends way better. Well worth the money.
    I'm considering a carbon wheelset as well, but for the amount it costs, i'm not going that route until my current wheels break, lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Best Upgrade for a Mojo HD???

What are you looking to do? Climb easier? Down hill better? Better all around bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah what he said.

I'm looking to go to XT from SLX to shave a bit of weight and a dropper post. Personally I think the Arch wheels I have a great and carbon really wouldn't justify the cost.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am looking to make it climb easier but not lose any of the downhill performance. I bought the Mojo HD to have a bike that can climb but still fly downhill and I just want to improve those characteristics.

mtbr member
    For me the biggest things I can't live without are in this order.

1. Dropper Post
    2. CC DBAIR
    3. 780 width carbon bars and 50mm stem
    4. Clutch rear derailleur

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the dropper post and the 785 bars with a 50mm stem. I couldn't ride without them. @Murchman do you find the CC DBAIR is sufficient for the climbs? I've read about new DB Air CS with the Climb Switch lever and have been curious about it for the HD. Is the original CC DBAIR sufficient for climbing and descending once you get it setup right?

mtbr member
    You will notice the rotational weight change from the wheels much more than from the suspension. You also have a super plush/heavy coil setup right now. For my money I would do wheels first followed by rear shock then fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dyermaker41 View Post
    I have the dropper post and the 785 bars with a 50mm stem. I couldn't ride without them. @Murchman do you find the CC DBAIR is sufficient for the climbs? I've read about new DB Air CS with the Climb Switch lever and have been curious about it for the HD. Is the original CC DBAIR sufficient for climbing and descending once you get it setup right?
    I never had a problem with how the bike climbed with the stock fox the bob is pretty much the same with the DBAIR.

I just did a ride with my Fox back on the HD just to see if I could really tell a difference and boy could I. I setup the shock with the same sag and rebound and hit my local trail that I ride almost every day. Today it felt like the trail was rougher and had a lot more baby heads poking up but I know it was no different then yesterday. The fox worked ok but it felt like my tires where over inflated and I was feeling every bump the trail had. Square edge hits where the most noticeable as the Fox would buck me up versus absorbing the blow. Large hits like box drops felt about the same but corners had a little less traction as the back end was sliding out a bit more then I was use to. Climbing was the same just a bit rougher and a little less traction because of it.

Needless to say when I got home the first thing I did was put the DBAIR back on as it's well worth the cost and the added weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    which dropper posts are people likeing the best. I haven't yet invested in a dropper post but everyone seems to think they have become essential .

mtbr member
    I have owned a Mavric Speedball, Crank Brother Joplin, and my current Specialized blacklite command post. I have used the Rockshox and the Fox.

Mavrick and Crank brothers where great when they worked but required services every other week after six months of use. The fox lever setup just wasn't comfortable but otherwise it worked well. The Rockshox was ok but to slow and other riders complain of needing to bleed it to often.

The Specialized has been faultless for two years now and I really like having the set positions more then having the option of stopping where ever I like as I never would stop in the same place each time. Also if the Specialized did fail the way it is designed it fails in the up position so you can pedal out versus others that fail in the down position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    You will notice the rotational weight change from the wheels much more than from the suspension. You also have a super plush/heavy coil setup right now. For my money I would do wheels first followed by rear shock then fork.
    I'm not so sure. At least for me, bolting on a set of Enve's V tuned Monarch from Suspension experts, I would have to go with the suspension. again this is for me, the wheels I currently have are the I9 enduro's and can't tell a great deal to the Enve's, but the rear shock was a huge improvement. Again this is a ton of hill riding and fast descending, for someone else you could be right. The biggest improvement to me was always weight and suspension tuning and great wheels would also be high on the list, but it will depend on the riding you do.

No dabs.
    Upgrades I've done in the past year or so in order of performance, dropping nearly 2lbs in the process:
    - Push'd RS Monarch. Huge to me only because I was coming off a stock RP23.
    - Enve wheels: Incredible. Stiff, light, and not a hint of wobble 7 months later. DT 240 hubs offer great performance and light weight.
    - Lighter tires: Huge payoff on speed and flickability, but more risk for failure. Used Sales punk's tire recommendation and have been happy.
    - KS LEV 150 post: Lightweight, smooth operation and has worked flawlessly. I've had Speedball, Black Mamba, KS Supernatural, this is the best by far.
    - RS Pike: Haven't installed yet so unsure on ranking, but can't wait.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thompson Elite Dropper Post....looks like it could be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The shock is the one thing I'd definitely change. The rest depends on budget. Carbon wheels are nice for stiffness/ride quality but nothing wrong with what you have weight wise. The Marz 55 is a great fork. Wouldn't change it unless you are willing to go a lot lighter. Things I'd think about changing if budget wasn't a factor:

1) Replace the Push Vivid Coil (980g) with a CCDB Air (550g) or Vector Air HLR (430g). Great shock but really heavy. Save it for serious DH days.
    2) Replace the Ibis Wheels (~1850g) with Enve/I9 Torch Classic/CX-Ray (1579g) or LB/I9 Torch Classic/CXRay (1550g) wheels. The I9 Torch Classics use normal J bend spokes and are light with great POE. If you want to save $ use DT Supercomps (+36g but a lot cheaper).
    3) Keep the Marz 55 (2470g) unless you're willing to go a lot lighter - eg RS Pike (1831g). The Vengeance is also nice but 2300g. More of a change for change sake than any real weight savings over the 55 which is a great fork.
    4) Look at going 1x11 (XX1/XO1) or 1x10 (Wolftooth components ring) if it works for your trails/riding/fitness. What are you running today?
    5) Look at your tire choice / rolling resistance especially your rear tire

I've had Hadley/Flows (1980g) and a Lyrik (2194g) on my HD for 4 years and have never felt the weight of either was a limiting factor though in the performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    which dropper posts are people likeing the best. I haven't yet invested in a dropper post but everyone seems to think they have become essential .
    Reverb..done deal

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Like my Reverb a lot and RS CS is great. Lever on the Lev is the nicest though. I'd get a KS Lev if rain/mud isn't an issue where you live and a Reverb if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke