mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Best travel case for MojoHD?

Hi - Has anyone any recs for a travel case? Looking to take my Large MojoHD on a plane soon. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Keep us updated on what you find. I am interested as well.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Evoc if you can afford it

mtbr member
    Agreed EVOC. Used it twice for airplane, better than the Thule hard case I had before

The hard cases are two narow so it is still squishing your bike. when stacked

BIKE TRAVEL BAG - EVOC - SPORTS ? TRAVEL- PROTECTION

OriginalDonk
    Third vote for the EVOC. I'm down here in Australia on contract where a bike is still considered a piece of luggage in many cases. No massive fees so I bring whatever bike I like with me wherever I go. When you open up the EVOC you'll realize somebody finally produced a travel case that just makes sense. Extra protection only where you need it with plenty of adjustable straps to keep things in place. Talk to your LBS to see what they can do or find a coupon to grab one online for a discount (i.e. 20% off).

Worth every cent I paid for it given the value I place on my bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I used a friends Dakine hard case to take my XL HD to Rotorua. Aside from being quite heavy (12kg I think) it was great. I removed the handlebar but left everything attached, removed the fork and let all air out and removed the pedals to go into hand luggage (e13 flats - a little weighty).

I used some old server packing foam to fill and pad the bag out then used riding tops to tie things together. My bike isn't light, around 14 kg plus and altogether it weighed a whisper under 30kg.

Having wheels to drag it was a god send as of course were the handles. I think such things like good handles makes it easier for the luggage handlers to move so they are less likely to heave the box around in a less bike friendly manner.

My advice would be to move the heavier items into hand luggage to allow room for lighter but maybe bulkier items like knee pads, riding clothes etc.

OriginalDonk, where in Oz are you? If you want a Sydney guide or riding buddy, let me know.

OriginalDonk
    I also used buddy's Dakine Bike Bag to take my Turner 5 Spot to from Melbourne to Rotorua to Queenstown and back to Melbourne. The Dakine bag does what it's supposed to do in a very simple way. It rolls along the "base" of the bag (i.e. you need 2.5 feet of space to roll it through) and offers one large cavity for the bike, wheels, and whatever else you can toss in there. I found that I needed a lot of packing material or clothing to make things secure and had a very hard time staying below weight restrictions.

The EVOC rolls along the "depth" of the bag (i.e. you need about 10 inches of clear space to roll through) and offers a number of well designed and built in features to secure the bike significantly reducing the amount of additional packing material required. The big ones for me are a bottom bracket pad, snap/velcro straps to secure the chainstays, downtube, fork, and bars. Wheels are in separate compartments on the outside of the bag with reinforced areas for rotors. I don't have any vested interested in EVOC but I was pretty freakin' happy with the bag. I opened it up and saw quickly that it made sense.

To put things into one statement, I feel like the Dakine protects all areas equally while the EVOC allocates material to protect the more susceptible areas of the bike. Unfortunately the Dakine was no match for the large and extremely strong Maori baggage handlers in New Zealand who tossed the 65 lb. bike bag onto the baggage cart bending the rebound adjustment on my fork (even though it was well protected) and ripping off the handle. The EVOC has fared much better.

My02, I split time between Melbourne and San Francisco. I'm up in Sydney every once in a while and will send you a PM. Hardtail country down here in Melb for the most part and am keen for some time in the Blue Mountains.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Anybody fly Southwest airlines with the evoc? Southwest's website says the bike's total dimensions ( l+w+h) must be less than 62 inches. If I did my math right then the evoc is 99 inches.

Special Luggage

mtbr member
    I've used a trico iron case several times and it provides good protection. The only thing I don't like is that when the TSA idiots open it up to inspect the contents if they don't close it properly things may shift around. The two halves of the case sandwich the bike/wheels between thick pieces of foam and it's very safe from impacts during travel.

mtbr member
    Anybody fly Southwest airlines with the evoc? Southwest's website says the bike's total dimensions ( l+w+h) must be less than 62 inches. If I did my math right then the evoc is 99 inches.

On southwest you will have to pay the oversized luggage fee of $75 each way.

_____
    Jul 2007
    It looks like southwest charges $75 each way for oversize luggage. Used to be $50.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just bought an Evoc, havn't traveled with it yet. Just testfitted the bike, which was very simple.. I have a medium HD, but there should be plenty of space for a large..

Photo by jbellander • Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a Pica Packworks that I use with my Mojo HD to travel to Peru once a year to visit family and have never had any damage or issues with it. Another thing is that the bag does not look like a typical bike case so when they ask whats in the bag I say "sporting equipment" and it usually goes free. Its an awesome bag..

Pika Packworks | Bicycle Travel Cases

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another vote for the Pika Packworks. I recently bought one for my trip to Moab, and I was very impressed, especially for the price. I flew JetBlue (Boston to Denver) and did not get charged any fees either way, despite the bag being well oversized according to their policy. I suspect whether you get charged on Southwest will be dependant on the region and the ticketing agent. In Boston, the bag contained "sporting goods" and in Denver it was immediately recognized as a bike.

It's also nice and light. I was able to fit my Mojo HD, riding gear, and reassembly tools inside the pack at a nice 49lbs. Regardless of whether it's a bike or oversized, if it's overweight, you will get charged.

As for fit, I bought the Stretch version for my Large HD 650B. After using it, I would not recommend the (smaller) normal version of the bag. It's a comfortably close fit.

mtbr member
    lazarus Do you know the weight of your Pika? I am stuck between the Evoc and the Pika. The Evoc seems nice because it can fit 26/27.5/29 and you dont have to remove anything. Did you have to reverse the forks, or take off the derailleur? Whats involved with the Pika? thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My Pika is somewhere between 15 and 20lbs, I'm not exactly certain. When I had my luggage weighed at the ticket counter, it was 49.0lbs, with a 29lb bike, camelbak, shoes, helmet, and some allen wrenches. My best guess is 18lbs.

I ended up taking off the bars and turn the fork around. I took off the rear derailleur, pedals, and brake rotors, I and let all the air out of my tires and suspension and compressed them. Tools required to reassemble: M4, M5, M6, T25, shock pump, tire pump.

I don't think I needed to remove my rotors or rear derailleur, but I'd much rather take the precaution than arrive with something bent. I also probably could have gotten away with not rotating the fork, but it felt reasonably snug with the fork backwards.

I packed 27.5" wheels without any issues. I can't speak for a 29er - Pika does make a 29er version, but I think that's more to cope with long wheelbases and not large wheel diameters.

Hope that helps.