boba
    Dec 2007

Best TOUGH Rides in California?????????????.

Good Day....I ride all year long, with a group from Vancouver Island, in BC, called the River Ratz...We are looking to drive down to California in early May and spend a week riding...We are not] Cross country riders....our riding is very technical, long climbs followed by steep downhills with lots of roots and rocks...sort of a detuned, North Shore...we ride all winter by light at night...

Any suggestions that we can follow up would be appreciated. So far, our group have suggested Downieville and the Mojave desert. Please put out your ideas and we will look at the areas on the web....thanks, Bob Austin, Comox., BC...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    San Luis Obispo,CA (SLO)

Anywhere in santa cruz (you will need a guide for the good stuff)

SLO is super epic, and you can link damn near all the trails in the whole area in one day, 50+ mile day with over 10k of climbing. These are not sissy trails. Super rocky, steep etc. Well worth the drive.

while in the area, head down to santa barbara from SLO and exp more rad trails
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

www.derbyrims.com
    May will probably be too early for snow cleared trail up higher in Tahoe or much above Downieville. Late June is usually clear enough.

Have a great time!

mtbr member
    Yeah, many of the higher elevations may still be under snow then, but there have been years when it's been warm enough...

In Norcal, you gotta visit Tahoe. There's a loop many mtbr people do called the punisher. Here's a map.

Downieville is also great. Lots of options. You can shuttle, or if you really want tough, you can do the Hell Ride route, which is a race sponsored by Santa Cruz bikes where the goal is really just to finish. 14,000 feet of climbing at elevation.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    San Luis Obispo,CA (SLO)

Anywhere in santa cruz (you will need a guide for the good stuff)

SLO is super epic, and you can link damn near all the trails in the whole area in one day, 50+ mile day with over 10k of climbing. These are not sissy trails. Super rocky, steep etc. Well worth the drive.

while in the area, head down to santa barbara from SLO and exp more rad trails
    I just did a 40 mile version of this day in slo and it was one of the most memorable rides in some time

mtbr member
    Agreed that early May is almost certainly too early for the best Tahoe and Downieville rides (which are indeed some of the best).

There's some very good stuff in Marin, but you need a guide.

Pacifica offers some very techy downhills that most face on DH rigs, full face helmets and body suits, but maybe you BC guys are badass enough clean without the big guns. I've done it on my Mojo, and a few of the drops sure make my nether regions pucker... It's no epic ride though.