mtbr member
    Jun 2008

The best tires for HD

Hello,
    So I'm ready to get rid of my Kenda Nevegals tubeless tires and want to try something better. I ride mostly hard packed to loose terrain, and wet to rocky....so I basically want an all rounder, all mountain tires. Set up would be UST 2.4 front for best cornering and 2.2 rear for best rolling/climbing. I'm looking at continentals, schawlbe, and Michelin brands. Please help....please include cons and pros. I ride in NorCal if that helps. Thanks

meh

Too Much Fun

Good job! Nobby Nic is my current fave...

I'm currently on a Mojo HD 160, which I love. I use it as my Everything Bike, and ride it on all types of terrain, from TerrorGnarChunder to buff flow.

I LOVE the Nobby Nic. I'm running them tubeless and they have been fantastic all situations I've had them in. I don't ride in full-on slop, but they're great in 90% of the situations I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip View Post
    Hello,
    So I'm ready to get rid of my Kenda Nevegals tubeless tires and want to try something better. I ride mostly hard packed to loose terrain, and wet to rocky....so I basically want an all rounder, all mountain tires. Set up would be UST 2.4 front for best cornering and 2.2 rear for best rolling/climbing. I'm looking at continentals, schawlbe, and Michelin brands. Please help....please include cons and pros. I ride in NorCal if that helps. Thanks
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Tires have a lot more to do with your location than they do the bike they are on. There are simply so many variables that aren't the frame.

You'd probably gleam more insight posting in NorCal forum to see what others are running on your local trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    +1 on the Nobby Nic. I'm on a HD 140 and I'm running the 2.35 NN front, 2.25 back. They are the tubeless ready version and they are incredibly light when compared to other TL ready tires in a similar size. I believe the 2.35 is under 600 grams. My previous tires were Specialized Eskar and to me the NN outperforms in almost every way (well, maybe not durability - see below). Tires are such a personal preference though...

For reference, I'm also in Norcal and primarily ride Auburn and Tahoe.

Full disclosure, I punctured the rear tire on my first ride on the confluence trail. I have no idea how it happened b/c it's not like I jumped and landed on a rock. I was just riding along like normal when all of a sudden stans was spraying everywhere. The hole was too big to seal, which obviously sucked A. I've since patched the tire and it's been fine. I weigh 175 and run 30 psi.

Two of my riding buddies use the Hans Dampf and swear by them. I have no experience with these though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I found this for you. The OP is also in norcal.

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no....html#poststop

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I love the new(ish) Maxxis Minion 3C. They are 2.5's weigh in the 800's, pump up tubeless no prob and handle all but proper mud. I weigh 185 and run them at 28 front and 30 rear. I run the front on rear as well.
    Not punctured in over a year with these, unlike my mates that seem to swear by NN and schwalbe in general. I think you get NN if you are desperate to keep weight down but the Minion is a much better tyre in my opinion

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I LOVE the Nobby Nic. I'm running them tubeless and they have been fantastic all situations I've had them in. I don't ride in full-on slop, but they're great in 90% of the situations I've found.[/QUOTE]

I was running a UST Nobby Nic on the rear of my HD the weight is nice but the durability isn't. I managed to put a large cut in the sidwall that wouldn't seal and I hadn't even been riding DH rock gardens with it. I can only guess that I probably cut the sidewall when I slid of a log balance beam with a tight corner, but this cut was not deep enough to let air leak. Then on my next trail ride the general wear opened the cut up.

So now I'm running a crossmark LUST 2.25 on the rear and a Spec Purgatory control 2.4 on the front. The LUST has stood up to lifted parks and plenty of shuttling.

mtbr member
    Was running a 26" mjHD 160 and ended up loving my hans Dampf's the best.. Then switched to 650b mjHD140 and running neo-moto's 2.3 front and rear-- they are ok.. Though looking to try out a few different 650b's.. If your on 26's-- try out the Hans Dampf's-- i think youll be stoked..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks to everyone that responded. So many to choose from...just when I'm about to settle for a set...I read about their sidewalls being thin. I ended up looking at the pictures on the HD thread here. I'm thinking of going 2.5 Maxxis minion DH UST front, ardent rear...or Trail king 2.4 front, and Xking rear....or Shwalbe Hans Dampf...... or..dammit...with these tires being so damn pricey, I might just stick with the Nevegals

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf front and Ardent rear. I have ridden almost every combination including the NN, Conti's, etc and this is by far the best combination. I do not like any of the Schwalbe tires in the rear. They tend to hook up too hard after sliding which stands the bike up mid to late in the corner. Minion is not a bad replacement for the Dampf in the front, but a bit of overkill from a weight perspective.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No need to go for the DH UST carcass Minion to run tubeless successfully.
    Try the 2.5 EXO 3C. Grip is very good (not quite Super tacky) Side walls are braided and very strong (many of the trails I ride feature volcanic rock) and weight is good. The Ardent in the rear is an excellent choice if you want better rolling but I find them a bit undercooked if you get into really steep rough stuff.
    What I run are the two identical Minion 3C's with an ardent on the rear for the long ride days.
    I find the German Bike mag reviews to be very funny. If you followed that then a 2.4 NN would have the same grip as a Highroller. Thats just not the case. Often riders that don't lean the bike enough, ride too upright will complain about the dead spot before you get to the cornering lugs, but that just lack of cornering committment IMO

Team Sanchez
    My AM setup consists of a Specialized Purgatory 2.4 Armadillo up front, and a 2.3 Specialized Eskar Armadillo in the rear. Both set up tubeless. I have burned thru 2 rear tires, and never once flatted. Specialized tires are hard to beat. They setup so easy tubeless, and the armadillo casing is light and bombproof.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Still loving the same combo on the HD that I've been running the last year - Purgatory 2.4 front, Captain 2.2 rear. Superior for where I ride in every way imo to my previous High Roller front, Crossmark rear combo - apart from sidewall durability but that is fixed with the Spesh tires by running the Armadillo versions of the tires.

Around these parts there is very little mud at any time of the year, mainly just lots of rocks, hard packed slippery, loose, gravelly kinda riding.

Here's a little post on my blog a year or so ago when I first swapped over to the Spesh tires New Tires, No Tubes | MTB Tires | Digital Hippie

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Big fan of Spesh Butcher Control 2.3 front / Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25 rear on my Mojo HD for the usual Bay Area suspects (Demo, Wilder/UCSC, STCP, Skeggs). Have ridden Minion 3Cs and Hans Dampfs as fronts prior to this. Hans Dampf is a nice, grippy tire but I think the Minion and Butcher corner better because of their side knobs. Liked the Butcher rubber combo better than the Minion 3C though both are great front tires. Run the Spesh SX casing if you want a 1.5 ply.

Spent a lot of time playing with rear tires to get a relatively fast roller that corners and brakes well. Played with Minions 60a and Hans Dampfs in the rear, but both have a bit more rolling resistance than I want in the summer (l liked Butcher/Hans Dampf in the winter though). Tried Ground Controls and I'm not a fan of their cornering and braking. The Ardent rolls well and mates well with the Butcher (or a Minion if you prefer) for cornering and braking.

mtbr member
    I'll play, I really like schwalbe tires especially the fat Albert but pricing and availability made me look for something else. I'm now using the continental trail king 2.2 UST and like them just as much as the schwalbes. My conditions are similar to yours except for the wet riding. Water here (NM) means clay mud on the trails and makes them unrideable.

The trail king UST uses the black chili compound which is supposed to be grippier than the normal compound.

Too Much Fun
    I agree, the Schwalbe pricing is getting a bit rich. Still, my latest NN's have lasted a long while.
    - -benja- -

HJH
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried WTB Bronson and found them a real allrounder for HD 160. Grips very well on wet and muddy rock, rolls very smoothly.

A 650 gram 2.3" Race version also mounts very nicely as tubeless. Pair of Bronsons to Arch EX rims was something like 5 minutes job.

I had tried Trail Kings, Nevegals etc. Bronson beats them all.

mtbr member
    I ride an HD in the Bay Area & posted a very similar post a while back if you want to check that out. Here is the summary of my findings:

I started w/ Maxxis Ardent 2.4 F & 2.25 R & realized that they are awesome and the best all-around set-up for me was the one I started with. I tried a bunch of different tires including:

Nobby Nics (2.25) - good light tires especially in dry conditions, but they wore down so fast and are very $ so not worth the cash IMO; also, they quickly clog w/ mud when it gets wet

WTB Bronson (2.2) - nice tire, but not on the rear; they also wear pretty quickly

Panaracer Fire and Trailblaster (2.1s) - these are extraordinary tires for the weight and $ when it is dry, but when the trail gets wet, forget it - I never had any problems, but the thin sidewalls scare me a bit

Tioga Psycho Genius (2.3) - a good front tire with a unique tread pattern, but slightly less traction than the others; also $$

Kenda Nevegals - awesome traction; but rolling resistance made me feel like the brakes were on

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    El Moco 2.35 Sticky front
    BBG 2.35 DTC rear