mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Best shock for the HD?

Looking to change my rp23, ride typical east coast rocks and roots, pretty aggressive. I don't shy away from 3-5' drops, but nothing really crazy, kinda like most people with HD's, love to ride hard suffer the hills to bomb down!! strongly leaning towards the CCDBA, also considering going 650b/140mm. Thanks for any help here!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This winter i just purchased the CCDBA. After scouring over every review i could find of the shocks that were in the running (Vivid air, Fox DHX air, CCDBA, Roco tst air), the CCDBA was the only shock that i didn't see anything negative about. The only thing that people complained about was the set up time due to all of the adjustments. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but i think it will do the job.
    The riding around Alberta sounds similar to yours; roots and rocks, plus the mountain are just a stones throw away. So if you don't mind taking the time to set it up right, the CCDBA is, in my opinion, the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There's no, "Best Shock". Just like there is no best bike....especially if you are a true AM Rider. Mixing XC with Freeride takes a lot of compromise, if it's tires, geometry, travel, etc. There is no way you can get a bike to excel at everything. You really need multiple bikes to do it right.

Have you tried the Fox Air shims to make the RP23 more progressive? I am running the large shim and found it improved the feel of the RP23.

Regardless of all that...if I was to get a new shock I would get the CCDB Air. The new Rockshox Monarch is revised this year as well...it would be a second choice for more XC performance.

Weapon of Choice
    X fusion vector air

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    Looking to change my rp23, ride typical east coast rocks and roots, pretty aggressive. I don't shy away from 3-5' drops, but nothing really crazy, kinda like most people with HD's, love to ride hard suffer the hills to bomb down!! strongly leaning towards the CCDBA, also considering going 650b/140mm. Thanks for any help here!
    Sounds like the same kind of riding I do. My HD is at 160 and tried the Monarch plus and then the CCDBA. Went with the CCDBA. 4 to 5 foot plus drops all day with some to flat, not a wimper. No bottom out problems. No complaints about the pedaling. Go for it!
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Dissolved member
    Craig @ Avalanche can get you a fine tuned shock for your riding style. I ride his SSD in a DHX 5 converted chassis and it is awesome.

See Avalanche Downhill Racing

mtbr member
    I have a monarch tuned by suspension techniques and i am digging it. Much smoother and more tunable than the modded rp23 i had. I did see the new ctd at sea otter today and it shows some promise. Much more linear than the previous model.