Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The best Mojo wheels?

Hey, I'm picking parts for my dream Mojo SL.

Like everyone else, I want wheels that are strong and light. I'm going with a RS Revelation fork, so I need the wheel to accept at 20mm axle. I have I9 XC wheels on another bike (which won't take the 20mm axle) and I like them, but this time I don't really need the bling, and I'd like a slightly wider rim than the DT 4.2d.

Crankbrothers cobalts don't take 20mm, and the Iodines are too heavy. I could go with the I9 All Mountain wheels, but want to see if there's something equivalent for less.

Any suggestions?
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

flow where ever you go
    I always run custom built wheels with a few things as priority for a good set that is light, strong, and adaptable:
    • Hope Hub in front because it is fairly light, comes in colors, and can easily adapt to any axle or QR. Rear Hope is too heavy for me.
    • Stans rims because they are light, strong considering, and do great at running regular tires in tubeless mode for more weight savings.
    • Use a great builder who knows how to build for rider weight and riding style.

It's not the only way to go, but it works well for me.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Hey, I'm picking parts for my dream Mojo SL.

Like everyone else, I want wheels that are strong and light. I'm going with a RS Revelation fork, so I need the wheel to accept at 20mm axle. I have I9 XC wheels on another bike (which won't take the 20mm axle) and I like them, but this time I don't really need the bling, and I'd like a slightly wider rim than the DT 4.2d.

Crankbrothers cobalts don't take 20mm, and the Iodines are too heavy. I could go with the I9 All Mountain wheels, but want to see if there's something equivalent for less.

Any suggestions?
    Hey GA.......Scored a set of Mavic ST 20mm for 300 smackaroos.I'm building an SL as well.Having I9s on my Niner RIP9 they are one of the best wheels I've ridden. Pricey maybe but worth it for sure. Custom wheels are cool, but take the money you save and call Darren at PUSH to make that RS fork magical! Tell him Dan sent ya.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    I always run custom built wheels with a few things as priority for a good set that is light, strong, and adaptable:
    • Hope Hub in front because it is fairly light, comes in colors, and can easily adapt to any axle or QR. Rear Hope is too heavy for me.
    • Stans rims because they are light, strong considering, and do great at running regular tires in tubeless mode for more weight savings.
    • Use a great builder who knows how to build for rider weight and riding style.

It's not the only way to go, but it works well for me.
    +1

Hope Pro2 hubs with ZTR Flow rims laced on DT Comp spokes. Best thing both hubs are convertible to most standards, and the pair will be under 1900g, so they will be both very strong and light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    well, you could still get Industry 9 in a 20mm axle and you could use any rim you want.

Don't forget, this is your dream bike! (and now you don't want bling?)

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. It seems the Hope/Stan's combo is almost the price of I9's. Maybe I should just go for the bling...
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

ZEN RIDER!
    I recently was able to ride a demo with a set of Fulcrum's and was really impressed on how they rolled & how stiff & solid they felt. The machining was top notch & they look spiffy to boot.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hubs are a bit personal preference, but I've always run Chris King. Everything that comes out of that shop is like a piece of artwork. I still remember the grin the first time I went bombing downhill and heard the distinct sound the rear pawls made. Super-easy to service, lightweight, and will outlast just about anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just switched from a front hope pro 2 20mm TA laced to a 5.1D with competition spokes to an I9 enduro 20mm laced to a 5.1D with competition spokes. The I9 hub is noticeably stiffer than the hope hub. If the price is close, I'd go with the I9. However, if you can save some dough, the hope pro 2 was a superb hub.

My front I9 also has ceramic bearings...which roll foreeeeeeeeeeever.

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong with any of the suggested wheels. Actually building up a set of Hope Pro 2's because of the ease that you can swap the out the axle from 9mm to 20mm to 15mm, it will future proof your wheels. Plus the conversion kits are cheap - 20 bucks online for 9mm to 20mm conversion. Check out chainreactioncycles.com for some really good prices (free shipping over 250 ). Another benefit and going to something then an i9 and CB is that your not paying 7-10 dollars a spoke and can change rims fairly cheaply (got a quote of changing rims on I9 xc 600 for rims and spokes - wow).

Another idea is to contact i9 or talk to your LBS where you bought your wheels there and buy a front i9 wheel with their AM hub that is just as convertible as the hopes.

Anyways thats my 2 cents
    "Nice bike...Take it off any sweet jumps?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just switched from some American Classics to a new set of Mavic Crossmax ST and I love them. Light and very strong. 15QR front. Got a great deal from Universal Cycles.

Clyde

hope / flow combo

Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    +1

Hope Pro2 hubs with ZTR Flow rims laced on DT Comp spokes. Best thing both hubs are convertible to most standards, and the pair will be under 1900g, so they will be both very strong and light.

Can't beat this deal for them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40780

another $50 to convert the front to 15 or 20mm and the rear to 10mm bolts.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18761

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10238
    Last edited by LuckySomer; 01-19-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Thanks for all the advice. It seems the Hope/Stan's combo is almost the price of I9's. Maybe I should just go for the bling...
    $365 for front and rear
    $25 to convert the front hub
    $0 tax
    $0 shipping
    ====
    $390

how much are the I9's out the door?

Stucco Bucket
    too bad the I9s are so narrow and arent tubeless out of the box, I really wanted a set. Ill be doing the Iodines on my Mojo

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I run Edge composite all mountain hoops, light wide and stiff, and no the wont be ruined if you get a flat, yes I know from experience, I9 classic hubs, converts from 9mm,15mm and 20mm. DT spokes. These are my dream wheels and they are a dream to ride. They are as light as the best cross country wheels, wide and strong.
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What about easton XC one wheels for the mojo?

Any weakness for medium-hard trails?

Turn off the TV
    I have been running the XC Ones for 2+ years and no real issues. sent the rear back to Easton once for truing and a new spoke, they used threaded into the hub at the time. Light, less expensive, but a bit flexie in the rough. I don't think you'll get much better stiffness to weight ratio for thier price. They are xc mind you. If you do mostly xc with a bit more aggressive at times I would go for it, I would not run tires begger than 2.2/2.3 and then you may be pushing it a bit. I run 2.2 purgatory tires and beat the crap out of them though no jumps over 3.5 to flat. Not sure what you mean by hard trail? you can usually find a good deal on them on line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks!

When I said medium-hard trails I mean Hard XC and a little cross-mountain, but I see you are well satisfied with them...

mtbr member
    I run the XC ones also.Good wheelset for XC, but I have been wanting to put wider tires on my bike and can't. You are limited to a 2.1-2.25 tire. If that is ok, go buy them.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The max wide tire I use is 2.25 so they will work fine on my setup...

Thank you all!

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDobson
    I run Edge composite all mountain hoops, light wide and stiff, and no the wont be ruined if you get a flat, yes I know from experience, I9 classic hubs, converts from 9mm,15mm and 20mm. DT spokes. These are my dream wheels and they are a dream to ride. They are as light as the best cross country wheels, wide and strong.
    Hey, Ken, how many spokes are you running, 28 or 32? I talked to one of the Jamis racing team guys who works for Edge (team is sponsored by them), and he said they're all running the AM rim with 28 CX-Ray spokes on pretty much all their courses, including Downieville. Thoughts?
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am running 32 hole with same spokes. I would get the AM rims over the normal xc ones just do to the fact that the weight is so close and the extra width is worth it. They are great and would buy another set in a heart beat. PM me if you have any other questions.
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

mtbr member
    Hi Ken,
    I was wondering about the cost of your wheels, if you don't mind.
    milesW

Church of the Wheel
    Dave Thomas of SpeedDream Wheels is building me the following:

Edge AM rims (28 hole, 30mm wide)
    Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
    Hope Pro 2 front
    Hadley bolt on rear

1615 grams
    US$2363 with RWS through-bolt rear ]

Crazy expensive I know, but they should last for a very, very long time, and with the uber-convertible front hub, I can use them with any fork, even the forthcoming Maverick carbon DUC32. Kiss my ass, DT Swiss!
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    mtb143, you will love them!
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast