mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!

Of course, I'm totally biased but that's cause my buddy Tom has built me a set of custom, anodized LED lights for night-riding on my mojo! Sick! These puppies are about as small as a harmonica, weigh 120g, and put out 2400 lumens!!

They are sealed and therefore water resistant, and he's placed red glow-in-the-dark tape inside of the light enclosure itself. So when you turn the lights off, the lights glow red in appearance. At nighttime, it looks like there is an evil demon in the woods. Which my mojo totally is.

The top of the light has a "Danger Lights" logo that pulses blue/green in normal operation. At 25% battery power, it turns red to alert you that you are getting low on batteries. At 10% power, it flashes red and the lights cut back to a power-save mode so you can limp home. Neat!

The battery pack placement has been a challenge. We designed a light that weighs about 400g and gets 2.5-3h of runtime, but it can't fit on the stem because of size. We're strapping it to the upper hole in the front triangle with good results. Down the road, we'd like to make a carbon enclosure to hold it in place inside that slot, but that'll be months away.

If anyone wants to buy these, Tom has a spare set that he would be willing to part with for fairly obscene sums of money, like $1000. They took a TON of time to manufacture. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you his email.

Good stuff huh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-1_2.jpg  

Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-2_2.jpg  

Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-3_2.jpg  

Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-4_2.jpg  

Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-5_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the user testimonial Dave! I'm going to follow up with a post in the DIY Lights section shortly going into more detail for all the crazy light nerds like myself. For those of you familiar with Troutelights, it's very similar to his Lumen Liberator (and he's a super-helpful dude by the way) with 6 Cree XP-Gs run at 1.3A max...so 2,400 lumens is at the emitter, not OTF. The idea here was to get them to match the stock red anodized hardware as close as possible, which it does pretty well, even if it's not quite as shiny.....and for it to look like a Robot Face.

If you want more details, I'll post a link here to a bigger, much more in-depth post in the other forum when it's done. As my carbon fiber guy makes some progress on the battery enclosure (his buddy's Mojo got stolen the a few weeks ago, so it may be a bit before he has a frame to mock stuff up on) then I'll be sure to post it in this forum for any Mojo-night-riders out there.

And I do have a spare set and am certainly negotiable on price, mainly just glad to finally have some working prototypes!

-Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-1.jpg  

Best lights for a Mojo, bar none!-photo-2.jpg  

"I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly