Ride in heat
    May 2012

Best Bottom Bracket for Mojo HD

This was the second time I disassembled the Mojo's BB to the bone, in order to clean and regrease it. I have SM-BB90, like all of you I suppose. By disassembling I mean total destruction up to the bearing's ball level. The first time went OK, this time I screwed it a little. I think there is a couple of sand grains got into the bearings. One can hardly hear and feel it, but they are there for sure. It's not like the BB is going kaput today, but there is an opportunity to change it. Tomorrow I'll try to degrease and clean the bearings, but really not sure what will come out of it.

So, the question is - what is the BEST BB you'd install on your beloved MojoHD, if you had the choice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm 5 years and counting on the RWC (Enduro Fork Seal) external cup/bearing BB. That's at least double what I got with Shimano and 5x Race Face.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I'd be grateful if you mention the whole name of the model with all the needed tools to install it

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Thank you, I've read their explanation carefully and it makes sense. Do you think this BB really much better than Shimano's?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    XD15 or Outboard?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Chris King generally has the best seals out of all the bearings I have used. Has a way of flushing out and adding grease without taking it apart too.

The other option is to just keep replacing BB whenever you feel it not working well. They aren't that expensive and pretty easy to swap in/out.

aka dan51
    I use the Shimano ones that came with my cranks.
    When those wear out, I replace the bearings with these:
    BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FOR HOLLOWTECH 2 AND X-TYPE CRANKSET
    The ceramic ones are a waste of money in my experience.

I replace them using this tool:
    Outboard BB Bearing Puller/Press from Real World Cycling

pop out the old, pop in the new. Takes just a few mins per cup.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    Chris King generally has the best seals out of all the bearings I have used. Has a way of flushing out and adding grease without taking it apart too.

The other option is to just keep replacing BB whenever you feel it not working well. They aren't that expensive and pretty easy to swap in/out.
    Though Chris King is definitely the default option that was in mind and their easy greasing process is also very compelling, but this RWC BBs that dodger has brought to my attention, and I didn't know about them, they seem like a really cool BB. Altogether with their explanation of how it works and the price very close to CK - I don't know what to take. CK has a reputation, and it costs, RWC also costs, but their technology more convincing...

Concerning the replacing - not an option. It costs cheap when in USA, but after shipping and customs' fees it pretty pricey here...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I use the Shimano ones that came with my cranks.
    When those wear out, I replace the bearings with these:
    BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FOR HOLLOWTECH 2 AND X-TYPE CRANKSET
    The ceramic ones are a waste of money in my experience.

I replace them using this tool:
    Outboard BB Bearing Puller/Press from Real World Cycling

pop out the old, pop in the new. Takes just a few mins per cup.
    So, you're also RWC fan... If I go this way, I think I'll go for the whole package and toss the Shimano. Currently I'm leaning towards XD-15, is there any reason not to pay the big bucks for it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am very curious to know how you can tell the bottom bracket is going out? Are you feeling something when you ride the bike? Or are you just feeling notches in the bearings when you clean?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Not sure why u think Enduro/RWC has as good technology vs. Chris King. Enduro is not any different than Shimano IMO (regarding the sealing system). It has the regular seal plus an external cover like most other BB. I also tried ceramic bearings, and it felt really good in the beginning, but same as others in the long run when dirt or whatever eventually got in there.

Chris King as a comparison uses metal split ring that really makes it difficult for contaminants to get into their bearings. I haven't seen anything that is better. I also like the fact that you can flush the old grease out. Enduro doesn't have that either.

PS. If your cranks don't spin freely vs. when BB is new, that 's when you know it needs to be serviced or replaced. Usually after riding a lot in wet or muddy conditions.
    Last edited by Cable0guy; 01-23-2014 at 06:59 AM.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Aba Grizzly View Post
    So, you're also RWC fan... If I go this way, I think I'll go for the whole package and toss the Shimano. Currently I'm leaning towards XD-15, is there any reason not to pay the big bucks for it?
    $200 for a bottom bracket?! No way would I pay for that. On a road bike it might last, but MTB gets dirt and water in that area on a regular basis and nothing will last forever. The reason to not buy it is it's $200 and will likely have the same life as the $20 bearings.
    The most economical and environmentally friendly method is to replace bearings in Shimano cups using the tool. It will cost you $20-$30 and 1 hour of time a year to swap them.

You seem pretty dead-set on the XD-15, so my guess is nothing will sway you from that. You should get them and report back to is us a year.
    Quadzilla

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    Not sure why u think Enduro/RWC has as good technology vs. Chris King. Enduro is not any different than Shimano IMO (regarding the sealing system). It has the regular seal plus an external cover like most other BB. I also tried ceramic bearings, and it felt really good in the beginning, but same as others in the long run when dirt or whatever eventually got in there.

Chris King as a comparison uses metal split ring that really makes it difficult for contaminants to get into their bearings. I haven't seen anything that is better. I also like the fact that you can flush the old grease out. Enduro doesn't have that either.
    The answer for your question - I'm a total zero in BB matters. That's why when I read the beautiful, simple, yet very high-tech explanation on RWC website - it impressed me. Add to this really good review on bikeradar - and they bought my voice. On the other hand, when you put it this way, I start to lean towards Chris King.

If I go CK - which model you suggest I'd buy, and what tools do I need with it?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    $200 for a bottom bracket?! No way would I pay for that. On a road bike it might last, but MTB gets dirt and water in that area on a regular basis and nothing will last forever. The reason to not buy it is it's $200 and will likely have the same life as the $20 bearings.
    Well, maybe it's imaginary for you, but here a simple basic Shimano BB would cost in a bike shop approx 100$. For an XTR BB you would pay 150$. So the choice is either to buy something simple for 100$ or pay 150-200 and get something good. Since MTBing is more like a beloved hobby - I wouldn't spare a buck on my MojoHD...

The most economical and environmentally friendly method is to replace bearings in Shimano cups using the tool. It will cost you $20-$30 and 1 hour of time a year to swap them.
    Yeah, it's an option. But I'd rather do this with a BB, that I'm more happy with it...

You seem pretty dead-set on the XD-15, so my guess is nothing will sway you from that. You should get them and report back to is us a year.
    And here you are wrong, my friend. The whole point of this thread - to hear and learn from more experienced, since in my country we have only Shimano with some SRAM here and there, nothing more... So I'm really open-minded.

aka dan51
    And here you are wrong, my friend. The whole point of this thread - to hear and learn from more experienced, since in my country we have only Shimano with some SRAM here and there, nothing more... So I'm really open-minded.
    My apologies, didn't mean to project my personal experiences on you. I've been in your position many times asking for advice, and at some point a certain product gets stuck in my mind (like the XD-15) and nothing will sway me once I hit that point.

At the end of the day I honestly cannot tell the difference between a $200 BB or $20 bearings. The bearings may last longer, which could be beneficial for those that don't work on their own bikes or hate doing maintenance; I do all my own maintenance so for me it makes sense to reuse cups and swap bearings.
    Quadzilla

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    As a matter of fact, this is my goal either. But since in both times I screwed up the bearing seals a little, and to find them in the country is PIA, and you never remember to order these little things online when you don't need them, and when you need them - who can wait 2-3 weeks until it arrives. That's why the words of Cable0guy about CK BBs swayed me back to CK. According to his words, CK BBs are really simple to maintain. And that's exactly what I'd want in the BB. Outstanding performance, bombproof reliability, and simple maintenance. I don't mind pay big for it, just want to know that I get the best for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chris king. My bb has been on two mojos and is over 5 years old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Chris King and its not even close. If durability is your ultimate goal, Chris King bearings (in all their parts) are the best there is hands down. Now, if it doesn't fit your budget or you want something lighter, or you are running XX1 and can't use their hubs, that's fine. But they are definitely the most durable.

Between my wife and me, we have 7 sets of CK hubs, 4 CK headsets, and 6 CK bottom brackets. We have enough bikes that many of those bearings are lucky to get attention more frequently than once a year. Every other type of bearing we have except a Cane Creek 110 headset (we live in Oregon and ride all winter) rarely makes it a year without needing to be replaced. Yet, I have never had to replace a CK bearing once. They are that good. And, I've bought many of my CK parts used because I have no worries about their condition.

If you live someplace nice and dry (like CO or AZ), you don't need Chris King and will get years of service out of anything decent like Shimano or Phil Wood. If you live someplace with winter muck and grit (like the PNW), you'll be amazed at how much longer CK bearings last.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Chris King and its not even close.
    Agreed. I've got CK parts from the 80's that are still going strong (well, technically my oldest is a CK made WTB headset). For folks who ride in crap conditions, or who don't want to replace parts often, King is the thing.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I will say King as well. I destroyed my last Sram BB in less than six months. Pulled it and was super notchy and we don't do a ton of water crossings in SoCal. Second SRAM BB is feeling the same way after only six weeks. Compare that to my King which has three years with zero maintenance and still feels brand new. I finally just ordered the conversion kit for my King so that it works with XX1.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Well, can't argue with that. CK it is. Thanks to everyone for giving their opinion.

Now I'd appreciate if somebody would educate me - which model to buy for MojoHD Shimano XT hollowtech crank and what special tools do I need with it. From what I understand - there's only one model (???), and I need at least one special BB tool (now I'm using GPX/Howitzer BB tool for current Shimano SM-BB90 - this won't work, right?) and this little guy?

Name:  injectiontool.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  10.6 KB

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Chris King and its not even close. If durability is your ultimate goal, Chris King bearings (in all their parts) are the best there is hands down. Now, if it doesn't fit your budget or you want something lighter, or you are running XX1 and can't use their hubs, that's fine. But they are definitely the most durable.

Between my wife and me, we have 7 sets of CK hubs, 4 CK headsets, and 6 CK bottom brackets. We have enough bikes that many of those bearings are lucky to get attention more frequently than once a year. Every other type of bearing we have except a Cane Creek 110 headset (we live in Oregon and ride all winter) rarely makes it a year without needing to be replaced. Yet, I have never had to replace a CK bearing once. They are that good. And, I've bought many of my CK parts used because I have no worries about their condition.

If you live someplace nice and dry (like CO or AZ), you don't need Chris King and will get years of service out of anything decent like Shimano or Phil Wood. If you live someplace with winter muck and grit (like the PNW), you'll be amazed at how much longer CK bearings last.
    Wow, that's a lot of CKs you got there...

I live in Israel, which means I have it all - powder dust, thorns, sharp rocks in summer, and these winter days it's sticky all-penetrating mud, grit, even sawdust, since this year they thinned out woods in the country. So I recon CK is definitely a must have for me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow, that's a lot of CKs you got there...

I live in Israel, which means I have it all - powder dust, thorns, sharp rocks in summer, and these winter days it's sticky all-penetrating mud, grit, even sawdust, since this year they thinned out woods in the country. So I recon CK is definitely a must have for me...
    Yes, but I've learned the hard way that the investment is worth it. I tried to cheap out for a while, but I kept getting frustrated with creaky or stuck bearings at the most inopportune times. Now, I just keep my eyes out for good deals and jump on them when I get the chance. I've bought 3 CK hubsets for less than $300 by buying a full 26" wheelset with thrashed rims on ebay. Build them up with new rims for less than half the price of a new set.

mtbr member
    You can use the standard Shimano BB tool to install it. The tool you pictured is the grease injector I believe.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk