mtbr member
    May 2006

Best 160 (155) shock for HD 650b, plus fork question

So, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the parts to rebuild my wheels into 650b. However, whether I decide that's the holy grail for me or not, I want a stiffer fork up front which means I'm likely to get a 160mm, probably fox of x-fusion.

Sooo, if I decide to go 160 full time, so to speak, what's the best shock to put on considering it should be shimmed to 150 or 155mm? I'm thinking CCDB air of x-fusion, but I'm not sure how user friendly they are to modify, your thoughts please.

Also, my currentl fork is the Talas 150mm which seems like it have clearance issues at full travel. If I convert that internally to 140 will it add the clearance I need?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm having the same issue! any thoughts here would be helpful!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went 650b on my HD and was originally running a Fox TALAS 36 up front with an RP23 shock. Personally I wasn't terribly impressed with either so I recently switched to an X-Fusion Vengeance HLR air fork and Vector HLR air shock. Shimming the shock for 650b was the exact same procedure as for the RP23 (remove the air can and clip a plastic shim onto the shaft). I've only had a handful of rides on the X-Fusion stuff but so far I'm very pleased with the switch, I find both fork & shock to be buttery smooth and have a bottomless feel. I still need to dial the Vector in, I get a bit more pedal bob than I'd like on my xc rides - perhaps a bit more LSC would do the trick.

As far as clearance with your Fox 32 - I believe the clearance issue is the arch on the lowers, in which case lowering the travel wouldn't help - but I may be wrong, I've only ever done 650b with a 36 whose chassis has more clearance (for meaty AM tires).
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for your reply, tdotrider, I haven't attempted to mount anything on my 150, just let all the air out and it seems like crown clearance isn't quite there. But I was always going to get a new fork, so I was just hoping that if I shimmed the travel I could ride it 650b till then.

Thanks for the info on the x-rusion, I keep flip flopping on the fork, the travel adjust is strickly a 170-140 which seems a little tall for me, but I hear good things about it. Decision, decisions.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    Thanks for your reply, tdotrider, I haven't attempted to mount anything on my 150, just let all the air out and it seems like crown clearance isn't quite there. But I was always going to get a new fork, so I was just hoping that if I shimmed the travel I could ride it 650b till then.

Thanks for the info on the x-rusion, I keep flip flopping on the fork, the travel adjust is strickly a 170-140 which seems a little tall for me, but I hear good things about it. Decision, decisions.
    I'm not familiar with the air versions of X-Fusion, I want to try a set someday. My coil X-Fusion HLR's front and rear are superb. You may have read in my posts I adapted a u-turn to the Vengeance to be able to lower travel for all the tight trail near home, and raise for fast and steep downhills. On most trails I'm usually running my Vengeance at 135mm travel with the 650b wheels to keep handling quick with the big wheels.

I think you'd feel very balanced riding the HD with 650b with an X-Fusion shock up to 2.25 stroke for about 152mm travel (Swapping a HD160 to 140 chips with 7.875/2.25 lowers the BB 1/4 inch and requires no shock shims in HD's having the added seat tube clearance since late 2011). Matched with the Vengeance Duel-Air HLR set at 140mm travel, only raised to 170 for the very fast and steep downhills. The Vengeance a2c at 140 is the same as the new 34 forks at 160 travel, or a Fox 36 or RS Lyrik lowered to 150 travel. The damping of X-Fusion HLR forks and shocks is top quality, and sticktion free (at least the coil is), and feels like more travel. IMO, greater damping quality is more valuable than greater travel, except landing bigger drops.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, I don't do a lot of big drops, but I do drop the Talas to 130mm for climbing.