mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Bergtec offset bushings with Vector Air?

Hi all, i just ordered a set of the Bergtec offset bushings to experiement with on my HD, as shown here: Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

I've read that there can be issues with the rear tire clearance as well as clearance with the frame. My HD is the 2012 model so it has the added seat tube clearance, but not sure about the frame/vector air.

Does anyone have experience running this combo? Also is there any way that i can measure/test if i'm going to have clearance issues rather than just taking it to the trail and hoping?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Derby did the definitive write up on shimming shocks and is really knowledgeable on the process and how much of a shim you"ll need. He rides a Vector Coil on his HD and could probably tell you off the top of his head how much of a shim you will need.

Would suggest you read his post:

650b shock bottom-out shim for seat tube clearance

You need to depressurize your shock with the bushings in place, see what the clearance to the ST is like from the rear tire, add shims until you do not hit the seat tube with the rear tire and then air the shock back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_O View Post
    Hi all, i just ordered a set of the Bergtec offset bushings to experiement with on my HD, as shown here: Burgtec Titanium Offset Shock Hardware | Burgtec

I've read that there can be issues with the rear tire clearance as well as clearance with the frame. My HD is the 2012 model so it has the added seat tube clearance, but not sure about the frame/vector air.

Does anyone have experience running this combo? Also is there any way that i can measure/test if i'm going to have clearance issues rather than just taking it to the trail and hoping?

Thanks!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As mentioned above, remove all air from the can and the fully compress it - you want at least 1/8" of space left between the tire and seat tube to account for potential flex on a hard landing/bottom-out. I don't know what affect the bushings have on tires/seattube contact but I had to shim my Vector Air by 4mm when I went 650b.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Grams Light Bikes
    I tried the ProShox offset bushing, but I didn't like how it altered the way the suspension reacted. I'll stick with the way the pivot point was engineered.

I'll try the shim method next.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    pastajet - would love to hear more details on the negatives you saw. I'm looking at both the Burgtec offset bearings and a shorter 7.875x2.25 shock with a 650B conversion and was hoping that shimming the shock to 150mm would avoid the too progressive finish associated with using the bearings

linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2011/10/casquillos-excentricos.html - Translator

Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I tried the ProShox offset bushing, but I didn't like how it altered the way the suspension reacted. I'll stick with the way the pivot point was engineered.

I'll try the shim method next.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    pastajet - would love to hear more details on the negatives you saw. I'm looking at both the Burgtec offset bearings and a shorter 7.875x2.25 shock with a 650B conversion and was hoping that shimming the shock to 150mm would avoid the too progressive finish associated with using the bearings
    I noticed that during medium large bumps and/or larger abrupt impacts, the rear felt like it jammed up on me, and just didn't feel very smooth. It was fine on normal terrain, and during small stuff, but when it came to time to boogie downhill, it just felt odd. It's hard to describe, but it took away from the beautiful feeling of the DW system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Gram. Was that shimmed or not? Looks like the curve gets ugly after about 150mm. Curious if you tried the offset bushings and a shimmed shock (I'm looking at potentially using them on a 650B conversion)? Appreciate your feedback.

-Shane

Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I noticed that during medium large bumps and/or larger abrupt impacts, the rear felt like it jammed up on me, and just didn't feel very smooth. It was fine on normal terrain, and during small stuff, but when it came to time to boogie downhill, it just felt odd. It's hard to describe, but it took away from the beautiful feeling of the DW system.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Thanks Gram. Was that shimmed or not? Looks like the curve gets ugly after about 150mm. Curious if you tried the offset bushings and a shimmed shock (I'm looking at potentially using them on a 650B conversion)? Appreciate your feedback.

-Shane
    Haven't tried the shim as yet.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the HD, not sure it needs more slack, but was told not to run it on my SLR. Maybe use the just the front or just the rear if it fits to get a full 1/2 degree, but I just have a hard time thinking it needs more slack. I take it your tried the angleset?