Happy when not-last.

Bashguard or no? (re: MRP 1.x)

Has anyone had issues by not running a bashguard?

I'd like to be able to run the MRP 1.x, but don't know how I feel about giving up the guard.
    As far as a taco goes - I use the saw-tooth Salsa design and feel like it helps me roll off a log if it digs in.

Any complaints from not running a bashguard?
    Who runs the 1.x?
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    I hit my bash guard really hard on a fallen tree yesterday and was glad I had it. I am not sure if it would have bent my Surly stainless steel ring though.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    I wouldn't roll without the peace of mind of my bashguard, and I run 2x9. If I ran only 1 ring I wouldn't even consider it. But really depends on how many obstacles you normally encounter, and how much you enjoy the carefree joy of bashing over them.

holding back the darkness
    Whether or not you need it, it is nice to know it's there... I just got back from a trip running no bash guard and I know I was holding a little back and wincing whenever I thought I was getting close to a strike.
    Sure.. they weigh a little more, but if that really bothers you just ditch some useless contrivance from your backpack or hit the gym a little harder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I run 2x9 on my mojo with a Blackspire C4 bashguard and last season I shattered it going over a log. Yes I had bashed it quite a few times before. It's fun to know you can just go for it. In my case a big xtr ring is over 200.00 canadian if I bend it. I agree with Subliminalshiver that you could hold yourself back. I am riding with a friend you just got her new bike. She has always had bashguards and I notice that she is really taking it easy over logs, actually getting off her bike in some cases.
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    running MRP G2 and love it. 1x9 and haven't dropped a chain in my first 100 or so miles.

mtbr member
    I bashed my big ring pretty good today. I never use the big ring some I'm also thinking about ditching for a bash guard and running it 2x9. When replacing the outer ring do you buy a guard that is the size of the middle ring (aka 32T) or do you buy the same size as the outer ring? (sorry I've never run a bashguard before)

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    I bashed my big ring pretty good today. I never use the big ring some I'm also thinking about ditching for a bash guard and running it 2x9. When replacing the outer ring do you buy a guard that is the size of the middle ring (aka 32T) or do you buy the same size as the outer ring? (sorry I've never run a bashguard before)
    You'll want one the size of your middle - 32, 34, etc. Check out the Salsa Tooth Fairy. They don't make the 32 anymore, but you may be able to find one from ebay or craigslist if you're lucky.
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yep, what MinskyBA said. You'll need to get a 32T bashguard for a 32T middle ring.
    I use one of those Turn components bashguards off Ebay in 32T size. It's light and works great. But any 32T bash will do.

mtbr member
    I ended up going with a MRP 36T and an Blackspire Stinger

My New MRP

mtbr member
    I would not even think about running without a bash guard.

mtbr member

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    Has anyone had issues by not running a bashguard?

I'd like to be able to run the MRP 1.x, but don't know how I feel about giving up the guard.
    As far as a taco goes - I use the saw-tooth Salsa design and feel like it helps me roll off a log if it digs in.

Who runs the 1.x?
    MinskyBA,
    I ran a 1.X for a good portion of last season and have plans on throwing the newer seat tube mounted version on once it's released.
    The only problem I had running the 1.X guide solo was that if I back pedalled through rough sections (to set up for a jump, corner or just being dumb) I was almost guaranteed to drop the chain. Thing that sucks about that with the 1.X is that it usually drops to the outside of the crank and usually means you have to loosen the two bolts to get the chain back on the chainring.

So after falling prey to that more than a few times I ended up running a Black Spire Stinger along with the 1.X guide. Sounds dumb, but it was a bit lighter than any dedicated single ring guide and I had more leeway in adjustability without sacrificing the correct position of the 1.X guide. Bonus was that it made the drivetrain almost completely silent and I never dropped a chain.

Seemed like the 1.X didn't allow for use of all 9 cogs without some annoying rubbing so I took a Dremmel and hit the inside plastic a bit to give the chain a bit more room. I then took a small piece of Frame Wrap and covered the small section of plastic that holds the end of the guide together to cut down on chain hitting plastic noise.

Downsides: It does throw the chainline off a bit as it's as if you're running two BB spacers instead of one (that will be solved once the seat tube mounted versions come available), but it's not as bad as the chainline achieved with say a G2 or SRS+. It's also VERY quiet, which means hikers and runners won't hear you come up behind them as often as when you're on a bike with the chain whipping the stays and everything else...so I found myself yelling ahead earlier than before and should probably buy a bell.

Also, with this 1.X/Stinger set up you can throw a bashguard on quite easily by removing the outer section of the 1.X guide and slapping on a bashguard. Only downside to this is that it can be noisy as there is nothing to support the end of the 1.X guide and it will slap against the inside of the bashguard. I ended up using an old washer from an Avid disk brake set up and used the 1.X screw to hold it in place. This will take up some of the gap between the 1.X half and the bashguard and if you cover it with a thin piece of Frame Wrap it's silent.

Here's the set up on my old Tracer VP, nice thing about this is that you can accomodate the lower half around VPP/DW chainstays a lot easier than a dedicated setup and it's much cheaper. It looks a lot better in person:

Hope that helped.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 04-10-2010 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darty

Man, I love the CNC work on those RF cranks!