mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Smile Bar and Stem for new Mojo SL, sizing

I have just done a head to head test of the Mojo with the new 2008 Yeti 575. It was an extremely hard decision to decide which was the best bike , but the Mojo certainly climbed the best ( I never used the granny ring in any of the climbs in Dalby Forest )
    The Yeti felt superb down hill and pedalling fast over the rough stuff. In the end it was the lure of the ultra lightweight Mojo SL to come that swayed the decion although I will have to wait until mid May by ordering through Stif in the UK.:
    I do have concerns over which size to go for. The medium Yeti was perfect but the Med Mojo felt slightly cramped in the length. The demo bike had a 100mm Thomson stem and and Eastin carbon post. I was aiming to put on a 90mm Thomson stem , with an FSA carbon OS riser bar. Firstly do I need a rise in the stem or not ? Secondly would a Thomson layback seat post make the differance or should I go for the large size Mojo ( which I have not had chance to test) ?
    I am 5ft 8" and weigh 70kg . Any advice welcome

mtbr member

Go for medium Mojo

At 5' 8" I would choose a medium (assuming you enjoy some twisty trails and want a nimble bike to ride them with). From what I've seen most people don't start going to a large until around 5' 9' or 5' 10" and even those Mojo-ers often go medium.

There is a long discussion about sizing at this link that should help you: What Frame Size to Buy?

FYI, I'm a tad over 5' 10" and ride a medium, though I'm at the tall end of a medium (110 stem). I run a slight rise in the stem and also 42mm riser bars, but no setback seatpost. I also run the Fox Talas fork which allows me to drop the bars/front end 40mm on climbs, a feature that I use all the time and would be hard pressed to live without, especially on the steeps. (Also my GravityDropper seatpost takes descents to a new level, but that's a different story.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get the medium. I'm 5' 7" 140lbs (63Kg) and I tested a small and medium. I ended up with a medium with 90mm stem and straight seat post, which made it feel like a small. The medium I tested had a setback seat post and 100mm stem which made it feel too big for me.

www.derbyrims.com

575 vs. Mojo sizing difference

The 575 has unusually long dimensions (TT, wheelbase, chain-stay, slack fork angle.) for their sizing, about 1 inch longer TT and wheelbase than normal for a light AM bike.

The 575 is really more downhill oriented than the Mojo but climbs remarkably well for a singlepivot type suspension. If the DW-link didn't exist, at my 6'1 height I'd probably be riding a medium sized 575 now. (A large 575 I demoed felt way too big for my tight technical trail interests.)

The Mojo is more climbing and all around trail handling oriented compared to the 575.

If you really like the slower handling of the 575, then for the Mojo consider going a size up than Ibis recommends. Itís how you feel on any bike that matters the most.