Thread: Awesome!

www.derbyrims.com

Smile Awesome!

I had to post this again after doing so a year ago.

It's been just over a year now on my new HD... and it's just awesome!

So well designed and engineered ... spectacular! ... and so easy to ride more difficult trail, jump bigger, rock climbs and drops ...

There have been some great new bikes since the HD. But none I want anywhere near as much. None as versatile, having variable XC/Trail/AM travel and geometry, both coil or air friendly, smoothest action having stiff angular contact roller bearings, 650b optional ....

Thanks again ibis!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Mine ships today!!! Cant wait!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm waiting on mine too. Can't wait...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Amen brother!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The ONLY thing that I don't like about my HD is that I want to try every different variation that is possible with the bike, and that's a lot of variations. So far I've checked off 140 26" and 140 650b. Now I am waiting for the 2013 x-fusion line up and I will be setting it up with longer travel. Not because I'm unhappy with my current rig, just out of curiosity.

mtbr member
    Such an amazingly versatile bike and I don't even mean the 140/160/27.5 stuff either. Park bike one day and climbing machine the next. All done on the exact same setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2 years on mine and it's still stunning! Get off that seat and stomp on it!!

Too Much Fun
    Agreed.

I've been riding MTBs over 20 years and the HD the best I've ever ridden. So damn fun.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Just got one, wish I'd bought one when they first came out, amazing bike.

Too Much Fun

Good job! The versatility is the secret HD sauce

Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    The ONLY thing that I don't like about my HD is that I want to try every different variation that is possible with the bike, and that's a lot of variations.
    Too true. I'm fascinated by 27.5, but have chosen instead to put "extra" $$$ into putting together a light 29'er hardtail.

The HD does everything really well, but I want to experiment with the bigger wheel sizes for XC finally and didn't want to mess with the HD right now; it's too dialed to fug widdit.
    - -benja- -

Dissolved member
    Hey Derby,

Thanks a lot man, your HD/650b posts are a great inspiration for me. What is your current HD setup? Any recent pic?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Park bike one day and climbing machine the next. All done on the exact same setup.
    Yep, had my HD for almost a year now and I sold the 2 heavy DH bikes (IronHorse 7pt) after I realized I like my HD for everything better.

I do swap out wheels (beefier tires, 203 rotors, 32 spokes as I don't trust nor want to damage my 24 spokes CB iodines) but otherwise amazing versatile bike that did great for a week at Whistler, few weekends at Northstar, while being my 90% of the time trail/AM bike where I spend 2/3 of the time climbing before enjoying great DH runs...

Love it. Sold my regular Mojo as well. 1 bike does it all.

(now if I could only get that chain to not drop off in the rough - without having to get a new 2x crank spider+bash and RD type2).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Agreed.

I've been riding MTBs over 20 years and the HD the best I've ever ridden. So damn fun.
    I've been offroading since 1984 and can't agree more!

www.derbyrims.com
    Recent pix. XC and DH park set ups...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Awesome!-hd152-650b.jpg  

Awesome!-hd160-650b26.jpg  

mtbr member
    So you're swapping the rear wheel, extending the fork, and dropping the seat for this transformation? That's it?
    ....very cool... that thing must be smooth as butter w/ big wheels and coils f & r.
    Hey, what's that thingy on the seatpost just above the clamp?

Dissolved member
    Thanks Derby, I plan to do exactly the same thing, loving the flexibility of the HD. How would you compare the Vengeance DLA coiler to the Lyrik U-Turn?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Thanks Derby, I plan to do exactly the same thing, loving the flexibility of the HD. How would you compare the Vengeance DLA coiler to the Lyrik U-Turn?
    The Vengeance HLR is the same weight, stiffer, better speed sensitive damping, and more noticeable external damping adjustment with each click, more travel (170mm) than my 2012 Lyrik MiCo with u-turn coil.

Modifying my Vengeance to adapt the u-turn coil with 125mm to 170mm travel, infinitely adjustable, has made it as versatile as the HD, from XC to DH park uses.

BTW, the clamp on the seat post is a fender mount, and helps to keep the post from creeping lower when the fender is not in use, and is quicker to attach the fender when needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A week ago in tahoe - Saturday doing XC riding (Rim and Flume trail), while swapping wheels the next day for some DH at Northstar closing day.... one bike with some swaps (I've picked up a Roco air WC since then) can really make 1 bike does it all !

The HD is amazing and I spent a week at Whistler + 6 days at Northstar on it and it works pretty well. 90% of the time I'm XC/AM riding up to enjoy the downhill and drop that adjustable seat.

CB Iodine wheels, light 2.2 tires - about 29.5lbs (XL nude)

Flow/Ibis wheels, beefier umongus TK 2.4 tire ~940gr tubeless mounted (still much lighter than true DH tires that are 1400+gr), 203 rotors, and soon Roco WC air, seat 12" below. ~32lbs
    Last edited by adumesny; 10-17-2012 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    report back on roco please, interested in this shock too.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    report back on roco please, interested in this shock too.
    Unfortunately DH season is over so it might be a very long time until I really get a good ride on it.

I will have to say it is a very tight fit (1mm or less) and can ONLY be mounted 1 way (reservoir up near the back) or you either touch the frame on full compress (not by much) or not fit the mount point. Once mounted you *cannot* access the air valve without getting an extension (went to car shop to get stem extension) as it sits really close to the rear triangle arm. Due to my particular bike rack I also have to take shock out each time, so this will definitely be a dedicated DH park day setup...