Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Attention Scot Nicol + Roxy Lo!!

I had an idea while in the shower this morning...

What if Ibis were to offer an option of applying helicopter tape (or the 3M equivalent) to its Mojo frames? There is no argument that a carbon fibre frame is better off protected in its vulnerable areas. Most of the smart and conscientious owners are already doing this right now. But what if Ibis could offer a perfectly die-cut helicopter tape kit to the buyer? It would certainly be more fun than having to do a hack job ourselves, unless one were gifted with superhuman dexterity. Let's face it, taping up a bike isn't the easiest of jobs... .

As I see it, there could be 2 options:

1. offer a pre-cut set of helicopter tape "stickers" to apply to the most vulnerable areas
    2. offer an option to order the Mojo with the tape already applied, at the factory

Keep up the brilliant work!! The mountain biking community is in your debt for your offering of the Mojo!!

Best regards,

Trailbait

mtbr member
    I would purchase it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Me too. Could be someone other than Ibis for that matter.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Taping up an Ibis Mojo ain't easy. It cost me 8 manhours. Excluding thorough research it took how to prepare, cut, and apply the tape right the first time. Plus two days strain that immobilized my 60 yr old lower back after all bending and contortions I did just to do the job right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbait
    I had an idea while in the shower this morning...

What if Ibis were to offer an option of applying helicopter tape (or the 3M equivalent) to its Mojo frames? There is no argument that a carbon fibre frame is better off protected in its vulnerable areas. Most of the smart and conscientious owners are already doing this right now. But what if Ibis could offer a perfectly die-cut helicopter tape kit to the buyer? It would certainly be more fun than having to do a hack job ourselves, unless one were gifted with superhuman dexterity. Let's face it, taping up a bike isn't the easiest of jobs... .

As I see it, there could be 2 options:

1. offer a pre-cut set of helicopter tape "stickers" to apply to the most vulnerable areas
    2. offer an option to order the Mojo with the tape already applied, at the factory

Keep up the brilliant work!! The mountain biking community is in your debt for your offering of the Mojo!!

Best regards,

Trailbait
    It took me about 5 minutes to put tape in the only place that might need it: the downtube around the BB .... just use some if you want some extra esthetic insurance !!!

PS any frame can use help from some (helicopter) tape my spotty after 3 years had dents close to the BB and on one seatstay that would not have been there if I taped over those areas. And by the way, tape will not protect any frame from structural damage, it is there just to keep things looking pretty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Count me in on wanting this too!

I am possibly too anal about protection but I spent several hours creating shapes that fit where I wanted. I would buy several of them so that I could replace them every 6-12 months.

They could just replace the "dots" that come with the bike and put in a sheet with all of the protection. Now, some of us may still choose to add more items, but it would be a good start for those really hard curves.

Also, There was another poster that has already done the work. If ibis wanted to save some work, they could just get / pay for the ones already designed.

Great idea!

Thoughts Hans!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would purchase the die cut tape kit also, and so would my (4) Mojo riding buddies!
    make it happen IbIs or someone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi All,

I was thinking the easiest way is for someone with a little CAD knowledge to make up a template and save it to a PDF. You should be able to do it so it has the correct scale to print off on to A4 (some may need reference lines for going over two pages), then simply cut it out and use as a template over your strip or sheet of 3M tape!!

Even simpler is if someone is about to stick theirs on they can scan and bingo we all have the templates.

All we need now is to find a lucky Mojo owner knows what to do!!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Great brainstorm! Make-your-own template could work for some people.. Then you could customize.
    Roxy

Rides a Bike

Protective Decal Sets

I'm sending out protective decal sets to those who PM'd me just before the end of Feb. I'm back from NZ now and whilst work is nuts, I will get these puppies done and on their way before the week is out.
    PM me your address and email details and i'll give you the total and PayPal info for payment.
    I'll send Scot at Ibis a set to play with too.
    Fish
    Australia

Grams Light Bikes
    Oh my gosh it takes all of 15 - 20 minutes to do the whole bike, its fun, kid of like a little kid with scissors cutting out scraps of paper, the only tricky part is the bottom section of the rear triangle in front of the tire, otherwise its pretty easy cutting and pasting, it ain't rocket science , get the bike up high in a stand with the rear tire off and your good to go, even easier if you take the frame apart and then just put it on the kitchen table

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey guys, how about putting the outlines of a set of bike tape in a gif or other picture file, for people to print out and use as cut-outs? Might be a quick fix for those who don't feel confident to do a good job...

Cheers
    Jever

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Does anyone know of a protective tape product that is transparent and has a matte finish (rather than glossy), which could be applied to the rubberized paint finish? The glossy tape does not look good along side the matte finish carbon frames.

Slovakia (Europe)

Mat tape

Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    Does anyone know of a protective tape product that is transparent and has a matte finish (rather than glossy), which could be applied to the rubberized paint finish?...
    There is one made by BBB, type BBP-60, but only 500 x 50mm size, not available in the roll, http://www.bbbparts.com/.
    The tape is ca. 0.6mm thick, but very flexible (even better if hair dryer is used) and super adhesive. The surface is not smooth, but wrinkly, see below packaging, surface detail and application on Mojo bottom tube. DIY "rock guard" is mounted over the tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slovakia (Europe)
    Once again, higher resolution.

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Wow, that's a tough looking rockguard protector! I guess you've 'adapted' a mudguard or something? Looks good though. The textured film looks good too.

I'll be posting up more detailed pics of my protective decal kit and protective rubber strips tonight so people can see what they've ordered (and where it's supposed to go :0). The rubber strips are to protect the frame from chain slap and reduce noise.

Cheers - Fish
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807
    Wow, that's a tough looking rockguard protector! I guess you've 'adapted' a mudguard or something? Looks good though. The textured film looks good too.
    Yes, that's right. Front rockguard protector is adapted from rear Zefal Classic Mudguard by jigsaw and hot air gun. Adapted front Zefal Mudguard will be used for seat tube/rear triangle mudguard. Zefal Classic mudguards are the best option for adapting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, thanks for showing your Mojo SL in high resolution, the engineering work is remarkable. Soo pretty
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but I just don't understand what the fuss is over custom made die cut plastic protection.

You have to realize a few things :

- The tape is nearly invisible when applied. You really have to look for it.
    - The tape will most likely be covered in dust or mud making it even harder to see.

But most importantly... the tape is simply a means of protection! It isn't meant to accentuate or compliment the frame. It'll accumulate scratches and dings to the point where it'll be replaced... much like a bra on a automobile.

As for myself, I bought a $30 roll of plastic film from findtape.com and spent an hour slapping it onto my bike. I even had enough left over to cover my crucial areas 3 times over.

Just my humble opinion of course!

MPI
    mtbr member
    Hi PeterG!

Thanks for the great input about that plastic downtube protector. Zefal is hard to find atleast here in Finland but SKS 26" Hightrek is same I think. As you said very easy to do with hotair gun.

Thanks

MPI
    Last edited by MPI; 03-24-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI
    Hi PeterG!

Thanks for the great input about that plastic downtube protector. Zefal is hard to find atleast here in Finland but SKS 26" Hightrek is same I think. As you said very easy to do with hotair gun.

Thanks

MPI
    Have a look also here for rear fender idea
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...44347#poststop

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    I'm sorry but I just don't understand what the fuss is over custom made die cut plastic protection.
    i think just ease of use. pre-cut should be a little less work.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Have a look also here for rear fender idea
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...44347#poststop
    Hi again!

I have already looked it. Nice work as usual! I wonder what´s your rear tire size. I sometimes use 2.4 Fat Albert´s and I might have a clearance problem with fender. But all in all very nice job.

Greets

MPI

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI
    Hi again!

I have already looked it. Nice work as usual! I wonder what´s your rear tire size. I sometimes use 2.4 Fat Albert´s and I might have a clearance problem with fender. But all in all very nice job.

Greets

MPI
    I use Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4" front and 2.25" rear. No problem with the clearance, fender can be removed easily, if necessary. According to my experience with Stumpy, if there is a sticky mud, it doesn't matter, if there is a fender on bike or not, the wheels can't turn anyhow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Peter, maybe a noob question, but can you use a regular hair drier instead of a hotair gun?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast