mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ask for help with Mojo SL

Last weekend I tried my new Mojo SL with DT Swiss shock for the first time. It worked well except rather loud knocking noise from the frame when in rough terrain (e.g. big greenswards). It seemed to come out from somewhere near the shock. I gave the bike to my LBS to locate the noice. Today they say it has something to do with the shock and they installed Fox RP23 to test the bike with it. They expect it would work well with Fox, as it is much stiffer than DT Swiss. But now I am affraid what it will mean if the bike is OK with Fox. My experience says that it would be a bent or too flexy frame in this case. Is there anybody riding Mojo SL M size with DT Swiss carbon shock ? Have anybody encountered the same problem ? Should I insist on flawless Mojo SL with original shock, or could I accept Fox as replacement ? Many thanks for help.

flow where ever you go
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I can't fathom why one shock working better than another would point you in the direction of thinking about bent or flexy frames. I would spend some time tuning the DT shock and would also want to try another DT shock that is known to work. Your shop identified the shock as the problem, they should be able to get another DT shock for you. Certainly Ibis will get them one if there is a problem with yours.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I can't fathom why one shock working better than another would point you in the direction of thinking about bent or flexy frames. I would spend some time tuning the DT shock and would also want to try another DT shock that is known to work. Your shop identified the shock as the problem, they should be able to get another DT shock for you. Certainly Ibis will get them one if there is a problem with yours.
    They say it is because of different contruction of rear shock eyelet, which is not stiff enough in DT Swiss and that is why eyelet taps into the frame. I really don't know. The first attempt will be with Fox, if it shows OK, then they have another SL frame with DT, so they will borrrow shock from this frame. And if it shows OK again, then it must be bent frame. I am very dissapointed with all that, because I believed that Mojo SL will be my first FS bike without problems. Up to now I enjoyed problem with Klein Palomino, then with Blur LT and now I started the same story with Mojo. I promise my next bike will be something more conventional like Spec Stumpy.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by monolink
    They say it is because of different contruction of rear shock eyelet, which is not stiff enough in DT Swiss and that is why eyelet taps into the frame. I really don't know. The first attempt will be with Fox, if it shows OK, then they have another SL frame with DT, so they will borrrow shock from this frame. And if it shows OK again, then it must be bent frame. I am very dissapointed with all that, because I believed that Mojo SL will be my first FS bike without problems. Up to now I enjoyed problem with Klein Palomino, then with Blur LT and now I started the same story with Mojo. I promise my next bike will be something more conventional like Spec Stumpy.
    While it's a drag to start out with a problem, it at least seems like a problem that can be sorted out quickly and fully.

If it's the shock then it is not the frame. A new shock will solve the problem.

If it's the frame, then a new frame will solve the problem.

Either way all indications and previous experience confirm that Ibis will make sure your new frame is working as intended.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Shock Noise

Hello,
    It sounds to me like the DT shock is making a top out noise.
    The shock hardware on the DT is designed to reduce side loads on the shock and has no effect on anything else.
    Testing with the other DT shock or the Fox will help you find the problem. Process of elimination.. It takes about 2 minutes to change the shocks. Just try to be methodical and go step by step.
    Please have the shop call us if they need any parts or advice.
    Thank you
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Hello,
    It sounds to me like the DT shock is making a top out noise.
    The shock hardware on the DT is designed to reduce side loads on the shock and has no effect on anything else.
    Testing with the other DT shock or the Fox will help you find the problem. Process of elimination.. It takes about 2 minutes to change the shocks. Just try to be methodical and go step by step.
    Please have the shop call us if they need any parts or advice.
    Thank you
    Hans
    Hi Hans,
    Thanks for your message. The guys in the LBS are my friends and are very nice. The only problem is they are just starting with the Ibis and my Mojo SL is the first one they built. Except mine, they have only one another SL, but already sold, so not very nice situation for experiments. The other thing is that both frames are little bit exceptional, they come from "limited edition". They are clear carbon, even though Ibis doesn't ship SL in this version. So I am not sure if this limited edition frames do not have any other non standard feature/fault in addition to colour. If the thing will not improve quickly, I'll ask LBS to contact you for help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monolink
    Last weekend I tried my new Mojo SL with DT Swiss shock for the first time. It worked well except rather loud knocking noise from the frame when in rough terrain (e.g. big greenswards). It seemed to come out from somewhere near the shock.
    So it was in DT Swiss shock itself, when changed everything is OK.