mtbr member
    May 2004

Anyone using a Roco Air on a Mojo?

I was wondering if anyone is running any of the Zokie Roco airs on their Mojo and if you are how much do you weigh? I 'm 200lbs (6'3") and ride an XL Mojo. I'm not happy with the performance of the RP23. I have tried different sags and all the rebound settings and have found that I'm either blowing through the travel or it is to firm.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks
    I was wondering if anyone is running any of the Zokie Roco airs on their Mojo and if you are how much do you weigh? I 'm 200lbs (6'3") and ride an XL Mojo. I'm not happy with the performance of the RP23. I have tried different sags and all the rebound settings and have found that I'm either blowing through the travel or it is to firm.
    There's a bunch of threads about people in your weight range using the HV sleeve on the rp23. Have you investigated that?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have read those threads. I was considering my other options and I'm curiuos about how the Roco air performs on the Mojo.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    There's a bunch of threads about people in your weight range using the HV sleeve on the rp23. Have you investigated that?
    Yes, the high volume sleave from PUSH Industries will make the spring act more linear and have more support in the mid travel range, not blowing through travel so easily with a nice soft sag, and ramp up firmer deeper in travel. Larger riders usually like the HV sleave.

The Roco Air is reported to be firmer in compression than the RP23, like having propedal set on 1 or 2 all the time.

Trail Rider

The sleeve works well

I had the problems you mentioned and the inability for the bike to use the advertised travel. The sleeve allows me to use all the stroke at a higher pressure. It also cut down on the pedals hitting so much. My friend has a Iron Horse MK III with some kind of comparable Rock Shox air shock that looks to have an even bigger sleeve than what Fox offers. It works excellent. I don't think it comes with any kind of platform. You or your local bike shop can order the high volume sleeve directly from Fox. I had Cal Coast order it and install it for under $100. I might pick up a Rock Shox shock as my spare. I can send the Fox to Push to work their magic on it, when the RP needs service.

I don't know, it seems like having to spend another $100 on a $6000 bike, just to get it to work properly, seems high. I guess most riders are lighter. I should have gone with the DHX air shock. That might be another alternative to the RS(as a spare). Maybe Ibis could offer the sleeve as an option(less fuss and lighter than the DHX air).
    [size=4]Don[/size]

flow where ever you go
    Can anyone explain why the HV sleeve works for heavier riders and blows though travel too easy for lighter riders? It's not intuitive.

At my weight (155), the answer was going from the high compression RP23 my Mojo came with to the medium compression.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Can anyone explain why the HV sleeve works for heavier riders and blows though travel too easy for lighter riders? It's not intuitive.

At my weight (155), the answer was going from the high compression RP23 my Mojo came with to the medium compression.
    That is not my impression, I am 150 pounds and the HV sleeve did not go through its travel too easy, initially it just felt more comfortable then the standard. I am now back with the standard

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    That is not my impression, I am 150 pounds and the HV sleeve did not go through its travel too easy, initially it just felt more comfortable then the standard. I am now back with the standard
    Interesting, it did bottom out for me (as Hans and DW predicted) regularly. It was a soft bottom, just using all the travel, but on even small rough/jumps/drops. Why did you go back to the normal can?

mtbr member
    Interesting, it did bottom out for me (as Hans and DW predicted) regularly. It was a soft bottom, just using all the travel, but on even small rough/jumps/drops. Why did you go back to the normal can?
    I did use more air pressure then with the standard (up to 10 psi) and I liked the ride. I went back to the standard just to try it again and since I could not detect any advantage with the high volume sleeve (just maybe a bit more plush and responsive on speedy rocky/rooty stuff) I kept it that way: it does take a while to swap the sleeve! ... I will eventually have the standard pushed when the windsurfing season restarts (now I am riding too much) ...

By the way: I am very suspicious of shock "tests" chat. It might be me but I have a very hard time comparing things when I have to spend an hour plus to swap them! The solution is really to get a Mojo SL and keep the Mojo too to do side-by-side comparisons with different shocks

Trail Rider

I thought the setting you are referring to is the Pro Pedal tune. Do you keep it on Pro Pedal all the time? My standard sleeve shows 3 factory tune settings(Pro pedal tune). This shouldn't matter unless the lever is flipped on. Mine was a medium. I don't use pro pedal except on fireroads.

I made an error in my statement above. With the sleeve, I am actually at a lower pressure than without. I dropped pressure from 179 to 160 to get the 1/2 in. sag with the sleeve(a bigger can, more volume, less pressure ?). I use sag to setup my suspension. When I get it at the right sag, I note the pressure with that pump. Since Davide went up in pressure, perhaps this kept the shock from blowing through . I don't know.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I thought the setting you are referring to is the Pro Pedal tune. Do you keep it on Pro Pedal all the time? My standard sleeve shows 3 factory tune settings(Pro pedal tune). This shouldn't matter unless the lever is flipped on. Mine was a medium. I don't use pro pedal except on fireroads.

I made an error in my statement above. With the sleeve, I am actually at a lower pressure than without. I dropped pressure from 179 to 160 to get the 1/2 in. sag with the sleeve(a bigger can, more volume, less pressure ?). I use sag to setup my suspension. When I get it at the right sag, I note the pressure with that pump. Since Davide went up in pressure, perhaps this kept the shock from blowing through . I don't know.
    I was not referring to Pro pedal.

I was referring to the factory compression setting on the RP23. It can come set at low, medium, or high compression. There is a sticker showing which setting the RP23 is at. It is set by the factory and can not be changed. Some Mojos came with the high compression RP23 as mine did. Ibis swapped mine for a medium compression version after I tried the HV sleeve.

When I tried the HV sleeve with the high compression RP23 I also used sag to set it up and it bottomed too easily. So I am still confused why the HV sleeve was recommended for, and reportedly works for, bigger riders.

www.derbyrims.com
    I was not referring to Pro pedal.

I was referring to the factory compression setting on the RP23. It can come set at low, medium, or high compression. There is a sticker showing which setting the RP23 is at. It is set by the factory and can not be changed. Some Mojos came with the high compression RP23 as mine did. Ibis swapped mine for a medium compression version after I tried the HV sleeve.

When I tried the HV sleeve with the high compression RP23 I also used sag to set it up and it bottomed too easily. So I am still confused why the HV sleeve was recommended for, and reportedly works for, bigger riders.
    Riding style? Us heavier riders have to use more air pressure for sag, but ride "lighter", more delicately, less aggressively for balance and control in the same rocks and jumps due to greater weight shift balance issues than a lighter rider deals with. Some exceptionally talented heavier riders do ride just as aggressively as is easier for lighter riders, but that is not the norm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Riding style? Us heavier riders have to use more air pressure for sag, but ride "lighter", more delicately, less aggressively for balance and control in the same rocks and jumps due to greater weight shift balance issues than a lighter rider deals with. Some exceptionally talented heavier riders do ride just as aggressively as is easier for lighter riders, but that is not the norm.
    To be completely honest this idea that the high volume canister is the right thing for "heavy" riders but does not work for "light" riders sounds a bit more then illogical.

My experience (weight 150) with larger volume chambers is both with shocks and forks (RP23 high volume and the Rollon mods for the Fox Float): they work perfectly fine requiring just a slight increase in pressure in respect to the standards.

The idea that somehow an increase in air volume inversely correlates with rider weight in respect of performance makes very little sense to my limited brain capacities

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide

The idea that somehow an increase in air volume inversely correlates with rider weight in respect of performance makes very little sense to my limited brain capacities
    Yea, I have a whole history of confusion along these lines:
    1. I thought I wasn't getting full travel with the RP23 (I was correct, but I later learned it wasn't as bad as I thought).
    2. The idea came up in the Ibis forums to use the HV sleeve for more travel.
    3. In switching cans to the HV sleeve I figured out that there is 11mm of shaft left on the RP23 when all travel is used (thus I had been using more available travel than I thought).
    4. I found the HV sleeve bottomed often on aggressive rides when set up for proper sag. I also noticed Hans (and, I think, DW) predict this.
    5. I put the regular sleeve back on and rarely got it to bottom out, which I decided was better than too often.
    6. It was reported that PUSH recommended the HV sleeve for heavier riders on the Mojo (which I'm still trying to understand).
    7. Hans suggested that a medium compression RP23 might offer good trade off over the high compression RP23 for some people.
    8. I switched to a medium compression RP23 and am happy with it. It uses the end of the travel easier but doesn't bottom too often and the ride is still great.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How much do you weigh NoShortCuts?

Trail Rider

Here is something I found at Push

[SIZE=6]New![/SIZE] High Volume (HV) Air Piston Kit. Much like using a high volume air sleeve on your rear shock, this kit tunes your forks air spring curve to give a more linear feel throughout the travel. Having problems getting full travel out of your Float fork, or just want a more plush and active feel? Here's your answer!
    [size=4]Don[/size]

flow where ever you go
    How much do you weigh NoShortCuts?
    155 lbs.

Do you have the medium or high compression RP23. If you have the medium, maybe the high would be better for you?
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 01-01-2008 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've have the medium. I bought my Mojo in May 07 but didn't get all the parts together and it built until Sept. I have a heavier AM bike that I ride the most and i run a DHX coil on that. I built the Mojo for Enduro Xc racing and all day rides and want to keep the RP23. I'm goig to call Ibis and see if they will swap it for a higher compression. If they won't I will try PUSH.

flow where ever you go
    I've have the medium. I bought my Mojo in May 07 but didn't get all the parts together and it built until Sept. I have a heavier AM bike that I ride the most and i run a DHX coil on that. I built the Mojo for Enduro Xc racing and all day rides and want to keep the RP23. I'm goig to call Ibis and see if they will swap it for a higher compression. If they won't I will try PUSH.
    I'm confident they will swap for you.