mtbr member

Anyone tried a 1x10 with a 32 tooth front. Chainring on an HD

As the title says. I have an HD coming and will build it up light ish as an enduro bike. I am not worried about spinning out since our downhills are super chunky and you basically just level the pedals and "coast". I am more worried about my legs so am thinking 30 tooth versus 32 up front due to the steep chunky punchy climbs. Does anyone have experience or know if the 30 tooth chain ring will mess up the suspension characteristic / cause pedal feedback etc? TIA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run a 33T on my 160 and a 34T on my 140 with an 11-36 cassette. I don't consider myself to be particularly strong and I've never run out of gas on technical stuff (at least not because of the chain ring...). I think you might be giving up a bit with a 30T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, you're a stong dude to handle a 32 1x10. I couldn't handle that myself but that's just me. I have a custom triple up front with a 32 middle and 11-36 rear. As for pedal feedback, I've never felt any on this frame with the DW link in any gear. Now on a VPP yes, but DW no.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    My buddy runs 1x 37T with an 11-34 rear and kills it. We did 3K of climbing yesterday in 20 miles and another 2.5K today in 18. He seems to be just fine on it. Way too manly for me though.

Lightly salted
    Im running 1x10, 32 chainring 11-36 cassette on my hd 160 and another bike. Switched from 2x10 a few months back. I was surprised how fast you adjust to the 1x10 drive train. Hard at first, but now feels normal. Last weekend did 32 miles with 4,500 elevation gain on my HD 1x10 no problem in Auburn Ca. It really depends on how steep your trails are and your strength.
    I doubt you would have peddle feedback with a 30t ring. When I ran my hd as 2x10 the small ring was a 24t and it didnt have any peddle feedback that I noticed, atleast compared to my old vpp2 bike.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Hi! I ran 36T front 11-36 cassette in rear. Previously used 1x9 36T and 11-34. Works fine for me for Finnish enduro races. But we have hills not the mountains.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I run 32 and 11-34 at the back in my mojo c. Works fine with me.

mtbr member
    I run a 32 tooth with 11/36 rear as well... I bought a 31 from homebrew, but never put it on. I'm usually fine at the beginning of a ride as long as someone in a 22 tooth granny ring doesn't clog up the climb...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Running the XT 32 with 11-36 in the back on my HD and I love it. Took some getting used to around here, as we have long and sometimes steep climbs but once you commit, your legs will get stronger.

So nice and quiet with an XTR Shadow Plus. Highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Funny I just saw this thread. Demoed an HD160 today set up 1x10 with 32 ring. Bike weighed 32.2lbs ready to roll.

So many variables but I live in New England, 55 years young, 185 geared up, and ride about 3 times a week. For me there is NO way I could live with it on the trails I like to ride. Just to tiring and limited IMO. Long not so technical climbs I could grind out (short term with fresh legs) but the technical crap, quick ups and downs and rock gardens I'd be spent pretty quick. Felt it made the bike feel heavier and sluggish but man that thing could pop off stuff really nicely. Give me an affordable XX1 please!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run 32t with 11-36T on my SL. Feels so good. first few ride my chain came off. now is good with top guide placed very close to chain. Before, I put the chain the wrong way, the shimano sign facing the bike. the chain would come off too often. Flipped it over, then its good, plus top guide.
    I do miss granny sometimes.

mtbr member
    Another 32 x 11-36 here. With both shadow+ and mrp. East coast rocky techy riding, short steep up & down. Very very happy. I'd probably be even happier with the gear range of a 31 or 30 up front for climbs. When I researched it originally, anything smaller than 32 sounded dicey. Ibis and DW have both posted here to that effect, IIRC. No personal experience with it. Also, my rides are rarely more than 2 hours; if I did 4+ hour epics, I might be less happy with my set-up.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a front derr. At least til I'm old like skidad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Demoed an HD160 today set up 1x10 with 32 ring. Bike weighed 32.2lbs ready to roll.
    Burly build. My XL 160, with lyrik and reverb and dampfs and alloy havoc bar and no bling, is about 30#.

mtbr member
    Thanks all. I haven't seen anything posted by _DW or Ibis. Maybe I missed it. I would rather a 30 tooth as I am not that strong but if it compromises the suspension feel I'll go 2x10 or rob a bank and go 1x11.

mtbr member
    you can get a 31 t from homebrew, just about the smallest you can put on the middle ring position. I personally have no problems climbing with it ya just gotta get stronger. I run my HD 160 with a 7lb 180mm coil fork dropper post etc.. and it only weighs in at 31lbs 32 lbs is a burly build! with a lyrik on front tubless mountain kings, 1x10 etc.. the bike is 28.5 lbs all day.. climbs like a champ!
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah, would depend on your climbs. I'm running a 1x 32 with 34t in back. Ex serious track racer (pursuit/kilo, eventually sprints) so am not limited in the wattage dept. and it's more than low enough for local trails in VIC, but if I live near real mountains again, or had a lot of tech climbing I would want something lower.

mtbr member
    I just mounted a 35 1X tonight and loved it. In response to the 30 1X question, you will be fine. 2X is a compromise both directions. The HD is designed around a 32T chainring, hardly anyone uses that gearing. 32T was just the middle ring on standard gearing when they designed it originally.

mtbr member
    I dont recommend anything from Homebrewed components if you want actually receive the product. I ordered a 31t ring in early June and got charged immediately but still havent received the product. They dont respond to emails either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm running 1x10 on my HD 140. 32t Renthal chain ring on XT cranks and an 11-36 cassette. Never felt under geared. Bike is 28lb dead.