mtbr member
    May 2011

Anyone running clutch derailleur with shimano 38/24 2X10 with 2x guide?

The "Hey Ibis/mrp..." thread has gotten so long and convoluted that I though that this question warranted a new thread.

I'm running shimano 2x10 with the mrp 2x guide. (11-36 in the back.) I still frequently drop the chain and the 2x guide makes it all the more annoying. I have an XT medium cage shadow plus clutch rear derailleur on order. Will this solve my problem, at last?

Can anyone that is running the 2x guide/clutch derailleur combo report zero chain drops?

Could i even remove the noisy chain guide and hope that the clutch derailleur alone will solve the problem?

Thanks,
    Circles
    Last edited by circlesuponcircles; 10-08-2012 at 11:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm on a Mojo wiht XTR 2x10 and XTR Shadow Plus derailleur and no guide. It's a bliss. No chain drops the past six months and the bike is super silent. The clutch rear derailleur is one of the most remarkable innovations recent years in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good to hear. When I get the clutch derailleur I plan on removing the guide part of the MRP 2x guide/bash combo. (I'll keep the bash on to protect tahat $80 chainring!) If that doesn't do it, i can always put the guide back on. If that doesn't do it i don't know what I'll do.

mtbr member
    Same here. 2 months HD 2x10 and 1 year tranny 1x10 with shadow plus/no chain guide. No dropped chains/suck compared to many before.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    With the same setup of 2x10 on 38/24 front and 11/36 rear I use a e13 heim2 guide and drop the chain quite often on rougher downhills - annoying. A few days ago I added the 2013 XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur long cage, but wasn't able to ride yet. Next weekend promises some 8'000meters downhill on two days, so that will be a proper test. I'll report.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
    With the same setup of 2x10 on 38/24 front and 11/36 rear I use a e13 heim2 guide and drop the chain quite often on rougher downhills - annoying. A few days ago I added the 2013 XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur long cage, but wasn't able to ride yet. Next weekend promises some 8'000meters downhill on two days, so that will be a proper test. I'll report.
    ==> Plain awesome, fantastic! That was a heavy weekend with endless rough trails and downhills. My leg hurts, my back hurts, my fingers hurt, my arms hurt, but I didn't drop my chain once. I didn't dare to expect this. I love my HD even more with the Shadow Plus.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    I ran the clutch XTR rear derailleur with a 1x10 and no guide for several months with no drop. Then suddenly I started getting drops and I would get 3-4 every ride..I was even getting them while riding on paved a paved greenway. So I decided to go back to a 2x10 and put the front derailleur back on.