Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone running a 150mm Pike on their Ripley?

I just built up my new small Ripley last week with a 140mm Fox 34. I am extremely underwhelmed by the fork. It seems to be holding a great bike back. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a Pike. I would greatly appreciate feed back from those who have a Pike. If I don't sell the Fox, I will definitely be sending it off to Push.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have the 140mm pike on my Ripley and its pretty good, it feels a bit "dead" at first but it maintains good tractionand its not really dead just composed. Its also a lot stiffer that the X fusion 34mm. The x fusion felt a bit shetchy, or popy as in not composed.

If you want a more trailbike feel go for the 150mm as my Ripley is a tad nervous on rougher trails with the 140. Just a caveat Ibis does not recommend 150 on the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Thanks motoguru.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm running a 150mm / 120mm dual air Pike on my Ripley and love it. Lighter than the Fox 24 and excellent damping. 120mm travel gives short C-A for steep pitches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2c View Post
    I'm running a 150mm / 120mm dual air Pike on my Ripley and love it. Lighter than the Fox 24 and excellent damping. 120mm travel gives short C-A for steep pitches.
    I have the same Pike on my new small Ripley, but can't give any ride report yet. Will do my first ride tomorrow. I was going to get x-fusion Trace, but its still not available. I am actually happy for ending up with Pike. I don't do aggressive ride and jumps, but when riding Downieville, I bet 150mm will be really fun (going to Downie again in 2 weeks).

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    I just built up my new small Ripley last week with a 140mm Fox 34. I am extremely underwhelmed by the fork. It seems to be holding a great bike back. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a Pike. I would greatly appreciate feed back from those who have a Pike. If I don't sell the Fox, I will definitely be sending it off to Push.
    Been running the 2014 TALAS 140 for over 2 months, and I like the fork a lot and think it complements the Ripley quite nicely. The new TALAS and updated CTD and air spring have dramatically improved the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What year Fox, if it's not a 2014, you might want to look at getting the 2014 internals for around $70. Hell of a lot cheaper and all the reviews I've read say the 2014 internals are much better.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    It's a 2013. That's a great idea.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    It's a 2013. That's a great idea.
    Get the new internals. Having ridden a 2014 TALAS and 2013 TALAS back to back several times, the 2014 is worlds ahead of the old one.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Get the new internals. Having ridden a 2014 TALAS and 2013 TALAS back to back several times, the 2014 is worlds ahead of the old one.
    You should really wait until 2016 and then get the internals.
    We've been hearing X year is better than Y year for 8 years now, and the TALAS still seems to be a POS.
    So, in 3 years from now the internals will be GALAXIES better instead of worlds better.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    We've been hearing X year is better than Y year for 8 years now, and the TALAS still seems to be a POS.
    So, in 3 years from now the internals will be GALAXIES better instead of worlds better.
    Wow, harsh, sorry I used the word 'worlds'.

Been riding forks since the RockShox RS-1, so I have ridden quite a few forks during my biking tenure. I have tested and used various iterations of the FOX TALAS, FLOAT and VAN forks over the years. While I have always liked the adjustable features of the TALAS, it always had some issues that I just accepted as minor compromises. Over the last several years FOX has been adding some small updates and changes which helped but did not solve those problems. They added better seals, Kashima coating, upgraded damper and internals, etc., and to me, doing back to back comparisons, the changes were discernible, though not in a drastic sense.

The new TALAS is very FLOAT like. The travel is smooth and supple, without any of the drag issues of its predecessor, and has noticeably less stiction throughout the stroke.

Sorry you consider the TALAS POS. I'll be the first to admit the pre-2014 TALAS had issues (not enough to be called a POS), but the 2014 TALAS is a substantial upgrade and overall great fork IMHO, and its been a great addition to my Ripley.

aka dan51
    Sorry, my comments weren't meant to question your credibility.
    I've just seen year after year reviews say this year is better than last, and then frieds buy it and hate it, selling it for a RS or converting it to float. So I am way skeptical on any review on the talas.

I rode a float for the first time yesterday in 5+ years while demoing a ripley. It was the first time in years that I had to come to a stop on my usual DH run because of hand fatigue. IMO, the OP is right by saying the fox is holding back the bike's potential.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Where were you last year oh wise one? I read a ton of criticism of the 2013 Fox's. They tried something new with the CTD and got it wrong. Admitted and improved it.
    it's one reason I bought a 2012 used and sold my 2013.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Kaj
    mtbr member
    The Pike's are butter butter butter -- when an option we are putting them on all our builds right now. Ask me how many brand new bikes I can't sell right now because they have a broken out of the box 2014 Talas. Actually don't ask me, I'm not happy about it.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    The Pike's are butter butter butter -- when an option we are putting them on all our builds right now. Ask me how many brand new bikes I can't sell right now because they have a broken out of the box 2014 Talas. Actually don't ask me, I'm not happy about it.
    Wow, bummer, first I have heard of that. Been hitting mine (2014 TALAS) hard for 2.5 months now, 3x a week, rock gardens, bike parks, etc., and it's still running fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    What's broken?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Wow, bummer, first I have heard of that. Been hitting mine (2014 TALAS) hard for 2.5 months now, 3x a week, rock gardens, bike parks, etc., and it's still running fine.
    It's not 100% failure rate, closer to 5% I would guess. So 95% of people will have no issue with regular maintenance. But when you sell a lot of them like I do, I get to see the 5%... The fact they are broken is not even the issue. It's that Fox won't send me parts to fix them, I have to send the forks back to Fox. Rock Shox sends me parts. Why should bikes be unrideable for 2 to 3 weeks because they need a part that can be mailed out in 24 hours? Ask Fox.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member

I've ordered a Pike 150/120 for my XL.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    had a talas on my mojo HD.. got rid of it. Had an rp23 too, got rid of it... I've slowly moved away from fox in general. I like the rock shox stuff, an I recently tried the trace 140 on my ripley.. feels just like my lyrik (only with a few mm less travel) I wanted a pike, but couldn't justify paying 1000 when the trace costs 580.. I have about 100 hard miles on my ripley an trace an I'm blowing all my descent times on my MOJO HD out of the water..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member

Had to wait three months for the Pike, then a 46mm offset model turned up... Sent it back but the is a 3,5 month delivery time for a 51mm offset around here right now. Bummer. Snow is falling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Had to wait three months for the Pike, then a 46mm offset model turned up... Sent it back but the is a 3,5 month delivery time for a 51mm offset around here right now. Bummer. Snow is falling.

RockShox Pike RCT3 29" MAXLELITE15 Dual Position Air 150 White Tapered 51 Offset | eBay

Dropshot Champ!
    that seems really high. I've seen them go for hundreds cheaper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    that seems really high. I've seen them go for hundreds cheaper.
    It is for sale in the land of the free market & no one has to buy it.

mtbr member

I've already ordered a new one. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm running the Pike 140 coming from a Fox Talas 140/110. Huge improvement going with the Pike IMO. Lighter, Stiffer, Superior Performance. Been riding it for a few months. I actually just shimmed mine down 7mm to 133mm and really like it where it's at now. I felt like the front end was almost a little too high at 140mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast