Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone Riding XX1 Yet?

Now that is available would love to hear some feedback on it. Thinking about making the switch, but am nervous since I have been an XTR guy for the last 20 years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    XX1 has been one of the most significant ride-impacting upgrades I've done to date on any of my bikes, ever. I have XX1 on a Carbine 275 and on a 2011 S-Works Epic 29er. Was riding XTR prior to XX1 and XX prior to that.

My favorite perks:

1) Silence - Yes, XTR Shadow Plus and XO type 2 rear derailleurs were a huge improvement over traditional chainstay-slapping versions. But even with those, you got chain strikes on the front derailleur cage causing noise. Also, the chain tension from the rear mech is much greater than XTR or XX and helps immensely. XX1 is dead silent.

2) No left shifter and front derailleur - this is obvious but until you try it, you won't understand just how great this is. Riding in situations with quick transitions from climbs to descents or slow turns to sprints, or in rolling terrain, you are in the right gear all the time without having to think about it at all. No mixing chain ring and rear cog combos is necessary, no sticking with the wrong chainring just to avoid front shifts, no chain drops. More focus is available for shredding the trail. No large compromises either as with the missing ranges on a 1 x 10. Heck, its even easier to clean since dirt and mud do not pack into the front derailleur gaps, between chainrings or between bottom bracket and inner chainring area.

3) Less weight!

4) Ground clearance - with the standard 32 tooth up front, I am able to clear more logs and obstacles without grinding the ring.

Least favorite thing:

1) Lost some top end - in order to maintain the same low end gear ratios as my 2 x 10 setups I've had to give up the highest gears. Not by much, but enough to necessitate more RPMs on fast stretches and sprints.

Hope that helps!

EDIT (more info below as requested)

Personal preference thing:

1) Trigger Shifter ergos - I moved from XX to XTR largely because I preferred Shimano's smooth, longer throw lever ergos and push/pull trigger shifting option to the XX's short, snappy thumb-only shifting. Moving to XX1, I am back to the thumb-only shifts, but am willing to compromise here due to the huge benefits of the system overall. Actually, the shifts feel better and much lighter than XX despite the tighter rear mech spring. You can also shift up 5 cogs in one long lever push. Shifting to smaller cogs still require a single click per gear but is not much of an issue since most of this kind of shifting is done under light loads on the drivetrain, and can be done in rapid fire.

2) Gripshift ergos - Thought I wouldn't like gripshift since I didn't back in the 90's. I do now. Controlling the entire gear range of the bike in one twist of the wrist is very cool and after a couple of minutes, becomes completely intuitive. The action is also much lighter than I remember old gripshift to be. What I didn't like are the really long and hard grips provided. Because of the gripshift mech and the still longish right grip provided, the right brake gets pushed very far inboard effectively narrowing your bars when you compensate by holding onto the grips further inside. There's a matching left grip, also long. I took a box cutter and a Dremel to the right grip of a pair of Ourys and now have a much better feeling setup.

3) Confidence - yes, knowing very little can go wrong with the drivetrain is great. The rear mech's horizontal-movement design eliminates ghost shifts on the rear and the single ring front eliminates chain drops, which by the way never happens even on the harshest terrain. I initially wanted XX1 after reading about it a couple of days after dropping my chain and miss-shifting the two-ring set up on my S-Works Epic yet again on a short-course race. After trying out XX1 on the race bike, I immediately saw potential benefits for trail riding, put it on the Carbine as well, and have been a happy camper ever since. My old drivetrains now feel obsolete.

Weights:

Someone asked about parts weights. Yes, I did incidentally weigh almost everything as I unboxed the stuff:

Crank (BB30 166 175mm w/ 32-tooth) - 548g
    Crank (GXP 166 175mm w/ 32-tooth) - 566g
    Rear Derailleur - 240g
    Cassette - 266g
    Trigger Shifter - 110g
    Sram BB-92 GXP Bottom Bracket with Wave Washer - 90g
    Sram PF30 Bottom Bracket - 82g
    Last edited by ducrider; 12-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.

The Crow
    From what drivetrain did you migrate to XX1?
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
    From what drivetrain did you migrate to XX1?
    Read his post much?

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by ducrider View Post

3) Less weight!
    great review! I recently saw two XX1 builds that were very similar to my XX race bike, and I was surprised to see that the groupsets are very close together! You gain some weight on the cassette, and the cranksets are about the same weight too. Did you happen to weigh the full group, or each part individually?

ps, post pics. It's monday morning, we need some bike pron!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Was riding XTR prior to XX1 and XX prior to that.
    Thanks for a great review - everything you say is what I would expect and why I'm excited about this group (not that I can pony up for it anytime soon).

Curious: why did you go back to XTR after XX? (if I'm reading this right).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    Thanks for a great review - everything you say is what I would expect and why I'm excited about this group (not that I can pony up for it anytime soon).

Curious: why did you go back to XTR after XX? (if I'm reading this right).
    Mike & RedMR2, I've updated the original post with the details and weights

Dropshot Champ!
    Thank you. Interesting that the cassette is only 70g heavier than xx 11-36.

That bb30 crankset weight is 120g under what i've seen, that is great news!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great Review. Thanks
    What did you do about wheel systems? This seems like the biggest impediment to changing over.
    Salespunk- what will you do with your EC90's? Is there a conversion?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanmike View Post
    Great Review. Thanks
    What did you do about wheel systems? This seems like the biggest impediment to changing over.
    Salespunk- what will you do with your EC90's? Is there a conversion?

The carbon Rovals on the S-Works Epic 29er use DT Swiss internals. On the Intense Carbine, I have a set of Enve AM 650b wheels which also use DT Swiss 240 hubs. It took all of 30 seconds to swap each of these to the new DT Swiss XX1 hub bodies, no tools needed.

Right now, if looking to use your existing wheelset, best case would be that you have either Sram or DT Swiss rear hubs which have readily available XX1 compatible hub body replacements available.

mtbr member
    Easton is working on the new cassette body for the M121 hub, which is the late 2011 update. The older M120 will not have the ability to upgrade. Really interested in trying the XX1 though. I like the gear spread and not having to run a chainguide.

Awesome feedback and thanks for the datapoints.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    XX1 would be a very nice upgrade coming from a 1x9 setup. The biggest draw back, though is you have to change your rear hub just to accommodate their cassette. I hope shimano is working on something that would not let you change the hub just for you to have a new drive train.

mtbr member
    Nice write up Ducrider. Just for the record Hope has a cassette body available also.
    Last edited by Jamenstall; 12-04-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Easton is working on the new cassette body for the M121 hub, which is the late 2011 update. The older M120 will not have the ability to upgrade. Really interested in trying the XX1 though. I like the gear spread and not having to run a chainguide.

Awesome feedback and thanks for the datapoints.
    Sweet!

Loving XO with gripshift and type 2 RD but the FD mount has issues (not perfectly straight) so this is worthy of consideration next year!

mtbr member
    Shimano will not be able to run a 10t in the rear without a redesign of the cassette either. It is a physical limitation based on the diameter of current freehub bodies. Without a 10t they will not be able to get the same topend. What I like about the XX1 is that a 38t up front gives a similar low gear to a 28/36 which is my current low and a high gear similar to 40/11. I am switching to 1x tonight with a 32t up front and will probably go to a 34 before the end of the month.

I'm more of a dog person

156 Q-factor

Anyone try the narrower q-factor XX1 cranks on an Ibis Mojo or HD? Wondering if the arms will clear the chainstays without problems

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT View Post
    Nice write up Ducrider. Just for the record Hope has a cassette body available also.
    Wow didn't know that hope has one. Do you have any idea how much is the cassette body?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XX1 is a great concept. But I too prefer Shimano. What I'm more concerned about over losing top end is the low end. I hate climbing so I currently run 22t granny and 36t rear. Call me old fashioned but it makes climbing less painful for these tired legs and lungs.

Going 32t-42t is still not low enough for me. Guess I'm sticking with my current setup. That's good. I need to wear this one out before I blow another wad of cash.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    I haven't been able to find any online, but I would assume/hope they would be around the same price as their standard bodies.

I did although speak to Hope USA and they were placing an order for them. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by timex99 View Post
    Wow didn't know that hope has one. Do you have any idea how much is the cassette body?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    XX1 is a great concept. But I too prefer Shimano. What I'm more concerned about over losing top end is the low end. I hate climbing so I currently run 22t granny and 36t rear. Call me old fashioned but it makes climbing less painful for these tired legs and lungs.

Going 32t-42t is still not low enough for me. Guess I'm sticking with my current setup. That's good. I need to wear this one out before I blow another wad of cash.

BTW, there is a 28-tooth XX1 chainring available which will get you the equivalent of 24 front, 36 rear. Pretty close to your setup.

mtbr member
    You might try pushing a bigger gear. I have found that it lowers my heart rate and breathing considerably. Doesn't make me faster though

Mtb Guide
    Hans confirmned my frame is shipping to me today yay, My XX1 has been lonley in its box, I dont get the fasination with losing gears, Ive been on single rings for years, ran 11/36 x 33t up front still rode up everything everyone else did, was it harder yes, but still no issue, with XX1 it will be a doodle, why do people knock what they haven't tried.

The rear d is heart of XX1 that I find sexy, the cage does not need to go forward and back it just follows each cog, quite amazing, I cant wait to get it on my HD.

Maybe next week by time it lands goes through customs get her built up, so excited, nit been so excited about a frame and drivetrain for years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    You might try pushing a bigger gear. I have found that it lowers my heart rate and breathing considerably. Doesn't make me faster though
    Yeah, but I prefer to spin vs. push. And I'm not a big roadie either but I feel it's more effecient. Don't get me wrong, though, this XX1 has me very tempted but dang, gotta change the whole drivetrain AND freehub body. I just bought my new 10spd goods too.

I bet in about 1-2 yrs Shimano does something similar and maybe even better. Without getting into a Shimano vs. SRAM debate, Shimano has just been better for me. Like disc brakes and suspension forks did, the technology will improve and come down in price. I'll wait for better carbon wheels/rims, and now this 1x11 concept too.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    BTW, there is a 28-tooth XX1 chainring available which will get you the equivalent of 24 front, 36 rear. Pretty close to your setup.
    Perfect, that's my current setup on 2x10. 30T might be and option to try also.

Hadley will have a freehub available in January and I9 is already shipping theirs.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller View Post
    Anyone try the narrower q-factor XX1 cranks on an Ibis Mojo or HD? Wondering if the arms will clear the chainstays without problems
    I recently e-mailed Ibis about this and he gave me the thumbs up:

"Yes, a 156mm q-factor SRAM crank will fit on the HD. Clearance is tight, but it does work just fine. We specced 156q cranks in our XX kit for years and didn't have any issues."

You might consider the size of your feet and how they are positioned on the pedals though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast