Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Yeah, but I prefer to spin vs. push. And I'm not a big roadie either but I feel it's more effecient. Don't get me wrong, though, this XX1 has me very tempted but dang, gotta change the whole drivetrain AND freehub body. I just bought my new 10spd goods too.

I bet in about 1-2 yrs Shimano does something similar and maybe even better. Without getting into a Shimano vs. SRAM debate, Shimano has just been better for me. Like disc brakes and suspension forks did, the technology will improve and come down in price. I'll wait for better carbon wheels/rims, and now this 1x11 concept too.
    I am/was a spinner too. Just went to a 28/40 XTR 2X and was surprised how much I liked it and adapted to it. My last ride I did not go above by 28/28 and felt really good. Going to a 34 1X today, but I do like the idea of the XX1. Hopefully Shimano will have a solution soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Shimano will not be able to run a 10t in the rear without a redesign of the cassette either. It is a physical limitation based on the diameter of current freehub bodies. Without a 10t they will not be able to get the same topend. ...
    Might be misunderstanding you but I have 07 XTR wheels/freehub with 0h 12 two by ten. No prob. Do you mean Shinamo wheels can't fit an 11 tooth with the current spacing? That would be a deal breaker to me. I want hubs I can O/H in 10 minutes with $10 woth of tools on the floor of a hotel room at 2 am. Shimano or bust there. If the 1x11 would fit XTR wheels I'd consider it for sure...

OP do you ever find the XX1 shifter tripple clicks down on you when you only wanted one gear? My X0 used to do that to me all the time especially on bumpy ground like say in the mountains. Want one gear...get three.

mtbr member
    Correct, Shimano hubs cannot fit the XX1 rear cassette. The diameter of the Shimano freehub is too large to fit ANY 10T cassette. Might want to check out the SRAM wheels, but it sounds like you are refusing to run any wheels that have sealed bearings which is really limits your choices.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by conekilr View Post
    I recently e-mailed Ibis about this and he gave me the thumbs up:

"Yes, a 156mm q-factor SRAM crank will fit on the HD. Clearance is tight, but it does work just fine. We specced 156q cranks in our XX kit for years and didn't have any issues."

You might consider the size of your feet and how they are positioned on the pedals though.
    I did make a quick call to Ibis and they also confirmed that the 156q will work for the Ripley as well. I have small to medium sized feet so I'm not so much worried about heel rub, but the narrower q-factor should help with pedaling for my short ass legs.

mtbr member
    Wondering if there is/will be a bash guard available for the XX1. Otherwise it would be very painful to break some tooth of the chainrings or even damage the chain or the carbon crank while accidently hitting some rocks on the trail....

Mtb Guide
    An MRP XCG BB mount might work, the cranks themselves can't take a bash guard as std they only have the one ring mount, unless you can remove replace the spider as you can on XO cranks.

mtbr member
    Is the design of the XX1 crank a lot different from others? Normally it is no problem to just add an outer bashguard and lock it with longer screws to the original spider/chainring?!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I also would like to have a bash option. Living in New England I know I could find a way to smack the single ring.

It's still so new but I'm sure someone will come up with a solution(s)
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    I also would like to have a bash option. Living in New England I know I could find a way to smack the single ring.

It's still so new but I'm sure someone will come up with a solution(s)

Well I found this one:

MRP Responds To SRAM XX1 With Three New Chainguides - Eurobike 2012 - Pinkbike

But I would prever a solid outer ring instead of a flimsy chainguide solution.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by kalkhoffpink View Post
    Well I found this one:

MRP Responds To SRAM XX1 With Three New Chainguides - Eurobike 2012 - Pinkbike

But I would prever a solid outer ring instead of a flimsy chainguide solution.
    Yes but is that compatible with the IBIS dw link?
    Doesn't say its BB compatible?
    Edit, I found this thread answer from Noahcolorado cheers
    It is BB compatible sweet, may look at one of these myself.
    MRP1x or eThirteen XCX on 1x10 HD?

Kalk. Ski, the XX1 crank like the rest of the system has been designed ground up each component is not like any other component before it so you cant compare to what you have been used to.

The cranks spider as std has no recesses its only one is for the chain ring, longer bolts will do nothing, this is to optimise the chain line I would say.

Like other Sram cranks you maybe able to replace the spider, I would look but all my parts are at the LBS waiting on the frame for installation.

The MRP XCB should def be compatible anyways.
    Last edited by Maverick005; 12-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Mtb Guide
    Found this pic, first in this link, looks like the spider is removable so in theory you could mount a std Sram spider to allow for bash ring compatibility.

SRAM XX1 Review

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Found this pic, first in this link, looks like the spider is removable so in theory you could mount a std Sram spider to allow for bash ring compatibility.

SRAM XX1 Review
    I am not the best engineer in the world but the chainring on the XX1 is easily removable to swap the chainring to another size. IMHO it should be no problem for what company ever to invent a simple bash guard with the right holes and dimensions to fit the xx1 like any other bash to be attached with longer spider-screws...

Mtb Guide
    I am not the best engineer in the world but the chainring on the XX1 is easily removable to swap the chainring to another size. IMHO it should be no problem for what company ever to invent a simple bash guard with the right holes and dimensions to fit the xx1 like any other bash to be attached with longer spider-screws...
    You are missing the point, maybe read some XX1 articles thoroughly you don't need to be an engineer just read it, this is not a standard spider on the crank arm.

Ive run single rings for years with bash rings I know what you're assuming, they're is no way a standard bash ring can mount on that spider, read my earlier post about the removable spider then yes a std bash and ring will fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    You are missing the point, maybe read some XX1 articles thoroughly you don't need to be an engineer just read it, this is not a standard spider on the crank arm.

Ive run single rings for years with bash rings I know what you're assuming, they're is no way a standard bash ring can mount on that spider, read my earlier post about the removable spider then yes a std bash and ring will fit.
    Hmm, I didnīt get it. From my point of view I see no problem. Heres a pic:
    To me the crank with the spider and the chainrings look like on every other crank.
    Maybe the dimensions are a little different. But why should a bash with longer screws not fit on this one? And I do NOT mean an existing one it hast to fit the XX1 dimensions of course. Where is my mistake?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well you could probably jury rig longer bolts and spacers but there will be no shoulder edge for the bash to mount on. Totally supported by just the bolts which I don't like the idea of.

This thing is so modular that there will be a good solution in short time for a full outer bash ring like for example this spider assy from North Shore Billet for XO and X9 cranks arms that allow the use of 104BCD rings (for those stuck with the 120BCD cranks)

2 x10 104BCD Spider for SRAM X0 & X9 Cranks Ŧ North Shore Billet
    Last edited by skidad; 12-07-2012 at 11:56 AM.

I'm more of a dog person
    Hmm, I didnīt get it. From my point of view I see no problem. Heres a pic:
    To me the crank with the spider and the chainrings look like on every other crank.
    Maybe the dimensions are a little different. But why should a bash with longer screws not fit on this one? And I do NOT mean an existing one it hast to fit the XX1 dimensions of course. Where is my mistake?

The four bolt holes on the XX1 spider are not equidistant from each other. The 76 BCD on the spider requires the two holes along the crank arm to be spaced further apart in order to get an allen key in there. There aren't currently any bashes on the market with this configuration.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone know if the crank arm removes from the spider or is it integrated or bonded or whatever? Looks like it might be removable?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Anyone know if the crank arm removes from the spider or is it integrated or bonded or whatever? Looks like it might be removable?
    It is removable. It is a splined interface - same as X0, X9, and Truvativ AKA. AFAIK the XX1 arms are the same as X0. I am using an XX1 spider and ring on my X0 crankarms.

One of the reasons a bashguard won't fit on the standard XX1 setup is that the spider is has no surface to mount one on.

An MRP XCG will keep you protected - or an MRP AMg will keep you protected AND ensure you never lose a chain.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Another wheel options would be Industry Nine. They have a freehub that fits it also.
    Industry Nine SRAM XX1 Hub and XC29 Carbon Wheels | Mountain Bike Review
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Any chain drops with XX1 crank?
    Is the crank reliable enough not to use a chain guide or something like that?

dwt
    mtbr member
    You might try pushing a bigger gear. I have found that it lowers my heart rate and breathing considerably. Doesn't make me faster though
    Ah, the old high vs. low gear argument. I thought it was generally understood at this point that spinning lower gears is more efficient than pushing big gears - which tires out your quads faster and strains your knees. It's not wimpy to prefer lower gearing. Use what feels right to you. If you like to grind, go for it
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    If you had read my entire post you would see that I used to spin small gears. I don't believe it is wimpy, I was encouraging people to try new things. I have gone from a 22/32/42 triple to a 28/40 2X to a 35 1X in the last 60 days and felt better on the climbs each time. Try it, you might like it!

mtbr member
    If you had read my entire post you would see that I used to spin small gears. I don't believe it is wimpy, I was encouraging people to try new things. I have gone from a 22/32/42 triple to a 28/40 2X to a 35 1X in the last 60 days and felt better on the climbs each time. Try it, you might like it!
    Congrats to your strong thighs, but I do not see how this should work with normal bikers. At the moment I am riding a 22/36 2x combination and on my tours I am often very happy about the 22 front, 36 rear combo because otherwise I would not be able to climb a lot of parts of the trail.
    Thinking of switching to 34 in front and 42 (XX1) in the rear within 60 days would be a miracle. How should this work without month of training? I would definitely start with the 28 front 42 rear combo at first...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, the whole thing about XX1 is that you can pretty easily change the front ring. Buy 2 or 3 and change them out whether you ride trails or mountain stuff.

Only a monster could crank up a hill in the alps with 34/42. On the contrary on those trails you harldy need a big ring going down because anyhow you don't need to pedal to get speed.

dwt
    mtbr member
    As my entire post said "ride what you like"

I still have my 26" SS. If I want to grind a big gear climbing, I can. I put "a normal" sized ring on my 26" 1X9 (32T) for the greater efficiency while climbing in a lower gear. On the other hand, while hammering, I rarely spin out the 32:11. On my SS, I frequently spin out 32:17

Everybody is different. I have been in many arguments with "pedal harder" 29'er folks who insist they have no problem riding bigger hoops with gearing designed for smaller hoops.

Not me. Whatever floats your boat.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast