mtbr member

Anyone ride an Ibis Carbon Mojo?

I have owned a 2002.5 Hollowpoint and I currently own a 2004 Hollowpoint. I am looking for a new ride and I am trying to decide between waiting for a 2007 MKIII or pulling the trigger on an IBIS. I assume the DW-Limk works its magic on the Ibis as well as it does on the Iron Horse.

kneecap
    Dec 2003

Hope has anyone "seen" an Ibis carbon mojo?

Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor
    I have owned a 2002.5 Hollowpoint and I currently own a 2004 Hollowpoint. I am looking for a new ride and I am trying to decide between waiting for a 2007 MKIII or pulling the trigger on an IBIS. I assume the DW-Limk works its magic on the Ibis as well as it does on the Iron Horse.
    Lots of folks in the same boat, myself included, as you. I don't believe they're even available yet. The 07 MK111 might be on the shelves first, LOL.
    (Kneecap, still enjoying his 04 hollowpoint)

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I had a chat with them at SO and I'm pretty sure the Mojo is already available. They're only making 500 bikes this year (e.g. only a few each month) so the problem will be FINDING one.

aka baycat
    wrenchscience.com? in Berkeley might have one fully built, nice folks over there and some of them post on the board

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Ibis/Bikes.html

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor
    Edit - Pic added.

Ibis saysit will be here "end of May".

I met the investors and Scot Nicol at Sea otter and saw the only two Mojo's in the country, the first and second prototypes. The second one was very near production spec.

It's beautiful, much better than the pictures. And it was light, much lighter than my Tracer.

I can't help but think that they are building up pre-orders and gong to sell the business goodwill to a secondary investor set (Iron Horse?)

I want one. The price is great now and could likely go up if they sell out production capacity.

Carbon rag and plastic is questionable for jagged rock riding or anywhere solid. But it's fixable or replacable.

Did I say it was light? It is very light in weight. Not that weight matters, right?

I'll be putting coil suspension front and rear on it for full state of the art F1/MotoGp quality suspension.

- ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by derby; 04-24-2006 at 07:42 PM. Reason: attached pic

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Ibis says will be here "end of May".

I met the investors and Scot Nicol at Sea otter and saw the only two Mojo's in the country, the first and second prototypes. The second one was very near production spec. I'll post a picture from home later.

It's beautiful, much better than the pictures. And it was light, much lighter than my Tracer.

I can't help but think that they are building up pre-orders and gong to sell the business goodwill to a secondary investor set (Iron Horse?)

I want one. The price is great now and could likely go up if they sell out production capacity.

- ray
    here are the pics I took...

mtbr member

Carbon

i've read the various articles on the ibis website and other places about the advantages of carbon as a frame material, etc..

i love ibis. hated when they went under. wish i had an old mojo with the handjob. still have an alibi. but anyway, anybody concerned at all with carbon as the frame material?

especially given the application of this bike. is this considered an xc bike or a "trail" bike or all mountain bike?

what happens if you lay it down on some rocks or have a high speed crash and some of the resin is lost? i've read their disclaimers about hucking it, etc...but, is it intended as a 5" travel XC bike, or is it intended for a little harder riding?

i read the technical stuff about how they've reinforced the major stress areas, but, i just don't know...

anyway, i like the way the bike looks. and i'm sure it's an awesome ride. just worried some about the durability. oh..and i like the orange paint job over the carbon look...

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    what happens if you lay it down on some rocks or have a high speed crash and some of the resin is lost? i've read their disclaimers about hucking it, etc...but, is it intended as a 5" travel XC bike, or is it intended for a little harder riding?.
    that is also my main concern with Carbon bikes - the fact that the bike is 5.5" leads me to believe it's an all-mountain bike. I would HATE to lay that baby down on rocks - especially Tahoe rocks!

Heck you don't even have to lay the bike down - what if your front wheel throws a big tock at your downtube? I've seen many dented downtubes on trail bikes, I would hate to see what would happen to that nice carbon finish - and at that point I wouldn't feel safe riding the bike.

with that said, that's why I could never push myself to buy a carbon Trail bike.

aka baycat
    snap, crackle, carbon....

what is the warranty on the carbon fiber spesh bikes, they have lifetime on the metal ones, but carbon is what? 5 years?

mtbr member
    nm...double post...my bad...

mtbr member
    here's a link to a thread that Scot Nicol actually dropped in on.

Ibis Mojo Carbon- who has ordered one?

soo..chances are, no "average" rider has ridden on yet. obviously, the true test is when these bikes get out in larger numbers and we hear/see the reviews...good and bad...

i'm sure it's gonna be good.

as for the warranty. here is the info from the ibis website:

Ibis Cycles warrants Ibis frames to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 3 years from date of sale. This limited warranty applies to the original owner and is nontransferable. Ibis will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace any frame or component that it determines to be defective.

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, nor does it apply to damage that is the result of abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, misuse or massive hucking. The costs of disassembly, reassembly or repair of any attached components are not covered by this warranty and are the responsibility of the original owner. Under no circumstance are the costs of shipping to or from Ibis covered by this limited warranty.

This warranty applies exclusively to Ibis bicycles manufactured after July 1, 2005

No Fault Replacement
    Should your Ibis be involved in a crash or other non-warranty situation, Ibis Cycles will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge to the original owner. Ibis Cycles does this at its sole discretion and reserves the right to refuse this offer, so don't go crashing your bike on purpose. We already know that one.

Unless otherwise provided, the sole remedy under the above warranty, or any implied warranty, is limited to the replacement of defective parts with those of equal or greater value at the sole discretion of Ibis Cycles. In no event shall Ibis Cycles be held responsible for direct, incidental or consequential damages, including, without limitation, damages for personal injury, property damage, or economic losses, whether based on contract, warranty, negligence, product liability, or any other theory. Okay. Good!

http://www.ibiscycles.com/tech_faqs/warranty/