mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Anyone ridden an SLR w/ 67.5 HA?

I'm debating between a Mojo HD & an SLR....have been leaning toward the HD. Wondering if anyone has ridden both the HD and the SLR w/the head angle adjusted to 67.5 (w/the Cane Creek adj. angle set)? How does that ride compare with the HD? (or the HD 140?) Would it be a good 'middle of the road' approach between the 2?

Also...for people who have ridden both an SLR & HD, can you give me some perspective on how much of a difference it makes when climbing, i.e. are we talking like a minute on a 30-minute climb or ???

(I haven't yet decided which is more important for me...ability to climb better / lighter bike or advantages on DH & technical a slacker angle will give me. I'm fairly new to all this & don't know what type of terrain I'll end up riding down the road so that's not a main factor for me in my decision.)

Thanks for any input....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have an SL-R with a 140mm fork and the CC Angleset at -1.5, making the HA 67.5. I haven't ever ridden an HD, so can't totally answer your question. However, my SL-R is quite light (probably 24-25 lbs), climbs extremely well, and has taken everything I've thrown at it on the downhills really well (rocks, roots, jumps, drops). The only place I haven't taken it is bike parks (I have DH bike for that), but easily venture to say that any terrain I'm not willing to ride down with the SL-R is more due to me and my inability than the bike.

My general opinion is that you could get either frame and, depending on components, tweak it to meet your trail needs (e.g., more XC or DH oriented). You could get an SL-R, throw lots of burly components on it, and ride it through some pretty crazy, rough stuff. You could also get an HD, throw some lighter more nimble components on it, and ride it on an 8 hour all-day epic climbing-fest. I'd venture to say both bikes could do a good job of being your "do it all bike".

I hadn't really ridden the SL-R too much before putting the Angleset on it (maybe 3-4 rides), but feel it's noticeable and helps when the terrain gets steep and fast. At the very least, I'm never thinking the geo of the bike is my limiting factor.

Hope that helps even though it doesn't really answer your question.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ride a Mojo HD, standard XT buildkit, 720mm handlebar, KS seatpost, Heim2 cguide. Also have demoed a Mojo SL-R with -1 angleset and 150mm Talas (67.5), 720mm handlebar and Arch EX rims on 1.8mm spokes (stiff), no tele seatpost.

Pros on HD:
    - Infinite frame stiffness and bombproof construction.
    - I have a large DH background, so 160mm is needed.
    - Suspension efficiency
    Cons on HD:
    - NO!

Pros on SL-R:
    - Weight. About 3lb lighter than the HD setup.
    - Suspension efficiency.
    - Not as HD, but yes, is very stifff.
    Cons on SL-R:
    - Is not an HD

If you're a downhiller that needs an excellent climbing bike, go for the HD.
    If you're a climber looking for safe and fun downhills, go for the SL-R.
    If you're confused, go for the HD140 and think again in a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    HD then you have the option to fiddle 160/140 light heavy whatever....

SLR is nice but I would only ever buy it if I was racing XC/ or marathon

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This forum is awesome - thanks to you all for those comments. All very helpful, exactly the info I was looking for, and helped move my decision process. Going to go for a light build HD 160. I like the 160/140 option and the suggestion/option to 'rethink in a few years'. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmmaa View Post
    This forum is awesome - thanks to you all for those comments. All very helpful, exactly the info I was looking for, and helped move my decision process. Going to go for a light build HD 160. I like the 160/140 option and the suggestion/option to 'rethink in a few years'. Thanks again.
    where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by circlesuponcircles View Post
    where do you ride?
    Sierras...foothills, Tahoe, etc. (But don't really know what type of terrain/rides I'll be riding most as I'm fairly new still).