mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Anyone own an SL "Special Blend" ?

Hi, I stopped by a local Ibis dealer. Owner recommended I look at the SL Special Blend given my price point. It sell for $2,850 and I was shocked to find out it had a full carbon frame and swing arm. I actually told him my range was from $3200-$4200, but he said this would be the best bang for my $. He said he will take me out one day next week to local trail to try out a few different bikes, but he felt the 26" SL was ideal for our local trails. He rides a 29er Ripley himself though. This will be my first mountain bike. I could only find limited opinions on this bike. I would be looking at a 2013, which has some improvements done to the X-fusion shocks. What are your opinions on the bike and components?

Thanks
    Mojo SL Special Blend | Bikes | Ibis Cycles UK

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Mojo SL for a few years, and it's predecessor before that... while neither were Ibis' "special blend", I've used some of the same parts and do currently have the same XFusion Velvet fork on my SL. Bottom line....it's a phenomenal bike, and at that price it's astoundingly good.... For comparison, the newer Mojo SLR will run almost the same money for just the frame alone, and all you're really getting is extra stiffness. The special blend should work great right out of the box, and will be totally upgrade worthy if you feel the need later. XFusion is really turning heads for making products that compete with the big dogs on all measures, but cost MUCH less. I own and ride Fox, Rock Shox, and now XFusion, and it really gives up nothing. The Mojo platform is highly tunable and adaptable.... the suspension design works well setup stiff and racy, or deep & plush, the bike works well with beefier parts and longer travel forks for more aggressive riding, and with minor mods it can even be converted to 650b (aka 27.5") wheels, which really boost cornering grip and stability. If I were in your shoes I'd use the extra budget for an upgraded set of wheels, with tubeless ready rims like Stan's Arch EX (or Flow EX if you're a heavier or more aggressive rider hitting more challenging trails) 26" rear, 27.5" front (that fork is compatible and approved by the mfr for 650b use), with whatever tubeless ready tires the fast guys on your trails recommend...Nevegal 2.1's aren't the best, but not the worst either. You might even have some money left over for a dropper seatpost, blingy & light carbon bars, or swapping cranks to a lighter 2 ring XT set.... triple chainrings are really overkill with 10 cogs in back, and add unnecessary weight and shifting headaches vs a 2x.

I guarantee you won't regret a new Mojo SL for under $3k.

I just realized that the Mojo SL build thread is no longer a sticky, so it's kind of hard to find... here it is...
    All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!
    This goes back to '08 ish, but most of the posts on the last few pages are special blends. You might PM some of those folks and see what they think about the parts.

aka dan51
    ^^^ what he said. Also, xfusion>fox.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys. I also wanted to point out that these bikes really do run SMALL. I'm 5'9" with a 32 inseam and when I first tried a M, my hand were actually touching my knees on tight turns. Large, was MUCH better. LBS said I was in the middle in sizing, but to go with a L.
    Thanks for the upgrade suggestions. I just wish Ibis would allow us to do upgrades to their SB package. That would save me some $$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Buy it right away , dont waste any more time contemplating

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Agree with everyone above. You can upgrade the components as you go and the frame is exceptional. Out of the box even, the Special Blend is an incredible bike. I purchased a Nuclear Pesto Special Blend last year and have loved every minute riding since. Have fun on the demo ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    Thanks guys. I also wanted to point out that these bikes really do run SMALL. I'm 5'9" with a 32 inseam and when I first tried a M, my hand were actually touching my knees on tight turns. Large, was MUCH better. LBS said I was in the middle in sizing, but to go with a L.
    Thanks for the upgrade suggestions. I just wish Ibis would allow us to do upgrades to their SB package. That would save me some $$.
    Yeah, by today's standards the SL is a little short (which personally I like.... Size L, 85mm stem, and I'm about 5' 11.5", but YMMV), and steep (which is why, coupled with it's lowish bb, that it takes so well to longer forks, 650b front wheels, etc). Definitely follow your gut and your LBS's suggestions on sizing.

Factory upgrades would be nice, but having a backup set of wheels is never a bad idea, nor is a backup rigid seatpost if you get a dropper. As far as my crank upgrade reommendation, you could save a bunch of money and just change the chainrings to a 1x or 2x.... at the SLX / XT level that's not very expensive at all.... heck if you're a strong rider or your trails don't have a lot of elevation you might just switch to one of the new Narrow/Wide single ring setups.....uber simple and light. Race Face makes those rings for 10sp as do some others.

Anyway, I'm probably going overboard on all the upgrade talk... buy it, ride it like it is, then enjoy the next few years of tweaking, upgrading, and improving the ride to suit your tastes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Your first mountain bike is ibis mojo SL? Wow... I am assuming you are new bie. What did u ride before?
    For first timer, I wonder If u can tell if the bike is good or not.
    Mojo special blend is a very good bike, hope you can appreciate how good the bike is.
    Once I let my neighbor ride my mojo, he only said good bike, but didnt know any better because he had nothing to compare with.
    Im 5 8", and got medium, and also got shorter stem, I like small bikefeeling, very snappy, easier to manuver.
    Congrat on your purchase!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks again guys. Yes, I'm a newbie to mountain biking. I've tested quite a few, but only in parking lots and in the urban jungle. When I jumped on the Ibis, I noticed right away how playful the bike was and that was in a L. My road bike is a 20" Trek FX, so I'm used to being spread out a bit. I want to make sure my first mountain experience is a good one, so test riding from and Ibis, Santa Cruz dealer will most likely do that. This is the only LBS of several, that ever offered to let me test ride some of his bikes on our local trails. That says a lot. FYI, it's Briarcliff Bike Works in NY. The guys there live and breathe mountain biking and it shows. I'll let you all know how the rides go as soon as we can work out a mutual time/date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Agreed with all of the above. I bought a Mojo SL Special Blend last fall and have been loving it. The X-Fusion shock and fork have been tremendous, far better than the Fox suspension I ran on my last bike.

I did upgrade the wheelset, brakes and seatpost (to a dropper) immediately. In my case, I swapped those parts over from my old bike as they were high-end and in great shape.

I also did the 650b mod that Bacon mentioned above. Love that too. If you want the whole saga you I wrote about it here:

James' MTB Blog: Best of Both Worlds or Complete Hype? My 650b Experience So Far...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by quaestionis View Post
    Agreed with all of the above. I bought a Mojo SL Special Blend last fall and have been loving it. The X-Fusion shock and fork have been tremendous, far better than the Fox suspension I ran on my last bike.

I did upgrade the wheelset, brakes and seatpost (to a dropper) immediately. In my case, I swapped those parts over from my old bike as they were high-end and in great shape.

I also did the 650b mod that Bacon mentioned above. Love that too. If you want the whole saga you I wrote about it here:

James' MTB Blog: Best of Both Worlds or Complete Hype? My 650b Experience So Far...
    Thanks! I'm going to check out your blog now!