mtbr member

New question here. Anyone Own an IBIS ALIBI????

I'd like to pick up an Ibis alibi frame but I'm not sure of the geometry. Ibis does have their website up (a sort of tribute RIP site) thats identical the one that was up right before they folded. The site does not list the alibi geometry though. I'll probably look at a medium size. I think they only made S,M,& L size for the alibi. If anyone has printed figures that's be awesome but if anyone owns a medium frame, I'd like to know the TT length (c to c) and more importantly the effective(horiz) TT length.

mtbr member
    I have a 17" which I believe was considered medium. I'll measure it up tonight.

You didn't ask, but if you intend to put more than an 80mm fork on it, then expect the headtube to be real slack. I had an 80mm and it was good, but went to 100mm and it starts to get pretty sloppy. It's still manageable and after a little riding you get used to it. But I think the frame was designed around a 63mm fork. And not having disc mounts is a bummer, but I just run a magura HS33 on the rear and it works well.

mtbr member
    As I said, I think mine is a medium, but it may be a small. It's not marked.

seattube center to top = 17"
    seattube center to center = 15.5"
    toptube center to center = 21.5"
    effective top tube center headtube horizontal to center seattube = 22.5"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

yep, that's a small....

I'm almost positive the geometry of the Alibi is the same as the Mojo, as listed on that archived site.

For the medium:

ST (c to top)=18"
    ST (c to c)=16.5"
    effective TT=23"
    standover=30.6"

Grande, if you still need confirmation of this, I'll compare my small Alibi and Mojo.

mtbr member

Maybe and maybe not

I called a shop that had 1997 (and only 97) catalog on hand. For a 1997 model, the horizontal TT lists at 22.75, WB is 41.5, head 71.5, seat 72 deg. A medium mojo's TT is 23.0, the size smaller 22.25.

However, I called John Castellano at Castellano (of course). First of all, the guy could hardly carry on a conversation. First he says the Alibis have the same geometry as the mojo, then they dont. Then the alibi geometry was changed. He just kept on contradicting himself.... It was unreal. So I dont know.Do you know the year of your alibi?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alibi
    I'm almost positive the geometry of the Alibi is the same as the Mojo, as listed on that archived site.

For the medium:

ST (c to top)=18"
    ST (c to c)=16.5"
    effective TT=23"
    standover=30.6"

Grande, if you still need confirmation of this, I'll compare my small Alibi and Mojo.

mtbr member
    I'm sure you want the medium, but my small is a 1999.

By the way, what's the link to the ibis archive site? It was on here somewhere, but I can't find it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

ibis wesite here

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have one too

I have a rarely ridden 1999 Ibis Alibi in perfect condition. It is a 18.5", which would be a large, I guess, even though it fits me fine & all my other bikes are mediums, I'm 5'8". I have a 2002 Marz Atom 100mm coil on it, & it rides on rails, climbs like a bat out of hell. Weighs 23lbs. I don't have a picture but it looks just like the other picture w/out all the orange(all silver/black). Let me know if you are interested or want any other info.

mtbr member
    I had a large Alibi and the geometry of Alibi is quite different than either a Mojo or an Avion SS because the top tubes were almost an inch or more shorter than a Mojo or an Avion.

As a far as an aluminium hard tail is concerened it offers an almost steel like ride, comofortable but not mushy but I will take issue with "logs" and say that my (former) Alibi was not a good climber; in fact it really sucked. I tried chaning my gear, my riding position, saddles, etc., etc., etc., but it always felt like I had a giant hand that dragged me backwards any time when things started going vert. Heck, my steel single speed climbed better.

For technical single track riding that doesn't have a ton of climing this bike is a blast but if you have a ton of climbing, or ride a lot of fire trails this bike may not be for you.