Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Call Fox tech Support

Fox Float Volume Spacer kit ($24.99 USD, Fox part #803-00-612)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    Given this thread, and Yody's report on a similar mod, and feeling like I'm also going through my travel on smaller hits than I'd expect, I'd like to give this a try too.

1) Anyone know where to order this part? Google doesn't deliver for the part number and I don't see it on the fox online store.

2) Given that so many have commented on this as a great mod for the HD, I'm curious why Ibis doesn't spec it as standard equipment? The HD was designed before these higher-volume RP-23's hit the market, right?

3) Are there any benefits to using the larger volume shock unmodified? Does it work better for some rider sizes or riding styles?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

no luck from fox

I've called twice to the number on the fox website and left messages, and sent an email, and no response over the past couple weeks. Anyone have a clue as to how to get through to them?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

ext. 4801

Is what worked for me, I waited for someone to answer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks, fox actually just called me back this morning, and the part is ordered...

mtbr member
    My volume spacer just arrived but I'm having real difficulty getting the shock apart.
    Curious to what trick you guys have been using for the HV boost valve version of the shock.
    The large outer sleeve spins freely and trying turn just the small exposed portion near the rear of the shock isnt getting my anywhere.

Really hoping I don't need to search out someone with a vise..

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone install Fox RP23 Shim/Volume Spacer on Mojo?-photo-34-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Grab the top portion and make sure all the air is out then twist counter clockwise.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz View Post
    My volume spacer just arrived but I'm having real difficulty getting the shock apart.
    Curious to what trick you guys have been using for the HV boost valve version of the shock.
    The large outer sleeve spins freely and trying turn just the small exposed portion near the rear of the shock isnt getting my anywhere.

Really hoping I don't need to search out someone with a vise..

Thanks
    First make sure all air is completely let out. You should be able to loosen by hand, since it should only have been hand tightend to begain with. If you still cant get it off, I seen a fox made video where they used a strap wrench. I would be very careful not to crush the air can if you have to use a strap wrench. I've taken apart tons of shocks and they always came undone by hand. Some times the air can is hard to re-install because the shock wants to rebound when your trying to thread the air can back on. It helps to turn rebound all the way clockwise/slowest rebound so your not fighting the shock on the air can re-install.

Heres a video I found on youtube,

Last edited by fuenstock; 07-28-2012 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    maybe the negative air pressure is preventing you from pulling it apart ?
    something to watch out the previous video didn't show....

Lightly salted
    First ride today on my HD 160 with the medium volume spacer in the rp23 kashima shock. Made a big diffrence in small bump performace. I was still bottoming in all the regular places, but now run 10 psi less which gives much better small bump performance. The medium shim seems perfect for my trails, I might think of going to largest shim if I was going to the bike park for more bottom out control. Heres my shock settings before and after shim. I had to reduce psi in my float fork to match the softer rear after the shim went in.

Rider weight 190lbs ready to ride

Pre shim
    rp23 180 psi
    32% sag
    5 clicks rebound from closed

Fox float
    65psi
    zero compression damping
    10 clicks from closed rebound

----------------------------------------------
    rp23 with medium shim
    rp23 170 psi
    32% sag
    5 clicks from closed rebound

Fox float
    60 psi
    zero compression damping
    10 clicks from closed rebound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    fuenstock,
    are you getting anywhere near full travel on the Float ?

While I had no problem getting full travel on my 150mm revelation on my old Mojo, I can't get near that on my HD with a Float 36 160mm (kashima skg seals) and I'm down to about 55psi for 200lbs + gear. Even when I take it to the parks with occasional front landing I'm not 100%

On the rear no problem getting full travel, and I have 195psi on the rp23 but I want to try spacer next as I'm reaching that a bit too easily. Interestingly I had to increase psi after I serviced the shock.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    fuenstock,
    are you getting anywhere near full travel on the Float ?

While I had no problem getting full travel on my 150mm revelation on my old Mojo, I can't get near that on my HD with a Float 36 160mm (kashima skg seals) and I'm down to about 55psi for 200lbs + gear. Even when I take it to the parks with occasional front landing I'm not 100%

On the rear no problem getting full travel, and I have 195psi on the rp23 but I want to try spacer next as I'm reaching that a bit too easily. Interestingly I had to increase psi after I serviced the shock.
    Strange that you had to increase air psi after a service? Maybe you need more float fluid in it, that has the same effect as a voulme spacer when you increase the volume of the float fluid. More fluid equals lower psi, but more ramp up. Less fluid equals higher psi, but more linear feel.
    My float is also a kashima with the skg seals. I don't get maybe the last 3/4" of travel, but it's probably because I have not needed it yet. The fork feels good as is. I was getting less travel when I first got the fork new. I opened up to check oil volumes of lowers and the top of air spring. It's supposed to have 30ml in each lower and 5ml float fluid ontop the air spring. Mine had 20ml and 25ml in the lowers and 15ml float fluid on the air spring. 15ml on the air spring is 3 times what it was supposed to have! I reduced it down to 5ml and that made the fork feel more linear and use it's travel a little easier. It's worth a look and is a fast easy job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    it's the rp23 that needed more psi after I changed the seals. I expected the reverse (tighter new seals).

Yeah, the float I already services the lower (no fluid and lots of dirt on 1 side (dooh!) and small sludge on the other side. 30ml now. I didn't check the air piston but yeah you're supposed to have enough just to lubricate and make a seal. Maybe I have a lot more than that. Will have to check next time (I need to replace 1 of the skg seal (air side) as I'm searing oil and getting dirt pile). Northstar is tough on gear.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    it's the rp23 that needed more psi after I changed the seals. I expected the reverse (tighter new seals).
    Sorry, Thats what I meant to say. The rp23 might need more float fluid. It's supposed to have around 2ml put into the can after the seals are lubed. I usually use the float pillow pack and heavly oil all the seals and pour whats left into the air can before I thread it on. Adding extra float fluid is like adding a volume spacer to the rp23, it lets you run lower psi and get the same sag as before. It's worth a quick look. Or I guess it could just be new seal stiction, but I never really noticed that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Fox tech utube video I saw only mentioned to put in a dime size amount of the supplied lube afterward - not entire thing or 2ml.

I kept half for next time I will just clean and re-lube rather than full O-ring change.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anybody have a large spacer they don't want and would be willing to sell?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anybody have a large spacer they don't want and would be willing to sell?
    I recently got the kit and only using the middle spacer (I may try the small one next) so I could sell the large one. ping me with your email address.

I too recommend putting a spacer. I used to blow through travel too easily, and put the middle spacer during a trip to Whistler and ran 190psi (I'm 200+gear) with only full travel on bigger jumps. Back at home, I'm running 180psi (I was running 195 as still bottoming out on small jumps) and getting nice full travel while being plush.

FYI, you should only put 2ml (or dim size) float lube in the shock, not the 5ml mentioned early by others. see my posted video link, or the fox link.
    Last edited by adumesny; 09-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Does this procedure reduce travel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No. You only need to adjust sag/pressure afterwards.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

Too Much Fun

New question here. Guidance on spacer size

Hi Good People,

I'm ~175-180lbs with full gear and I'm debating whether to start with the small or med spacer.

Presuming I'd go with medium but I was wondering if there's a specific guide to follow for weight.

Thanks!
    - -benja- -

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Hi Good People,

I'm ~175-180lbs with full gear and I'm debating whether to start with the small or med spacer.

Presuming I'd go with medium but I was wondering if there's a specific guide to follow for weight.

Thanks!
    I weight 190 ready to ride and like the medium spacer for nomal all mountain rides and the large spacer for rides with bigger drops and jumps. The small spacer for me didn't do much. I ran around 30-33% sag no matter what spacer I was using. It's so easy to change the spacer that I would just take all three and swap them on your next ride for a good comparision.

mtbr member
    Start with the big one and then try each one to see which feel you like best.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up: you can buy the spacers from Jensen USA now$25

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone have a medium they can measure the thickness of? I am going to machine a few sets up for the locals in Perth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9 View Post
    Does anyone have a medium they can measure the thickness of? I am going to machine a few sets up for the locals in Perth.
    I posted a detailed diagram a little further up this thread with everything you need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast