Team Chilidog!

Anyone here run a 180mm fork on their HD o HD-R?

I saw on the Ibis website that you can run the HD (and HD-R) with a 180mm fork. Not that I plan on doing this full time, but it seem to be a good way to run the HD as a park bike by switching out forks (I already run 7" rotors front and rear).

Has anyone done this? I'm curious to how it rides and if this makes sense. My bike is pretty burly built (Saint calipers, i23 rims, straight gauge spokes, XT drivetrain).

Feel free to tell me this is a good or bad idea. I'm really digging this bike, but I'm not sure if it makes sense as a park bike or not too, especially as much as Northstar beats everything up.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I run mine with 180 full time. I still think it handles agile even with a big fork. It paired the best with a coil rear shock for Mammoth. Not close to a real DH bike, but was still pretty capable.

Weapon of Choice
    I did with a marz Rc3 ti and i liked IT alot. If your riding style is agressive technical terrain and you feel 160mm fork isn't cutting it, give it a try. I also liked the slacker ride but you will feel the weight of the front end heavier. For now I keep the 55 rc3 ti which is superb as well.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    I bumped out my Lyrik to 180 and added a -1.5 Works headset and keep it there all the time. On steep uphills is can tend to wander a bit, but once you get used it, it's easy to counter/control that. I run it at the DH park here(Steven's Pass) on the 3 trails they have built so far, and on the local XC trails.

Once I buy a dedicated DH bike I will probably change it to 170, but if you really want a do-it-all 180 and -1.5 degree is pretty nice.

Off the back...
    I have a TALAS 140/180 on mine. Climb on the 140, descend on the 180. Flats are done at whatever height the fork was at on the climb or descent. I can't say that I would only want 180, it's just a bit too much work to keep weight on the front tire on most of the climbs I do around here. If the majority of my climbing was on fire road, it would be all 180 all the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My HD started with a 180mm fork which I had spaced down to 160mm. Its much easier for Sydney trails (generally techy with buggerall flow to them). I am however looking to go to a 180mm coil for some of the more DH type trails in the region. I would also like to get my hands on a 55 Ti coil at 170mm if available.

180mm is tolerable on the climbs but then the climbs I did were pretty short. Alpine style they are not.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I have a TALAS 140/180 on mine. Climb on the 140, descend on the 180. Flats are done at whatever height the fork was at on the climb or descent. I can't say that I would only want 180, it's just a bit too much work to keep weight on the front tire on most of the climbs I do around here. If the majority of my climbing was on fire road, it would be all 180 all the time.
    Same here......ran the 140/180 with a lot of success. Went to a 34 Float to save weight; miss the 180 on the descents

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    +1 on the long Talas. The versatility is key. With 180mm at descends you run a 66 head angle. That can't be particularly called slack these days, but it's nearly modern. And it's good. - You may want to lower your cockpit with that fork, e.g. reduce rise in stem or handlebar.

mtbr member
    I know a couple people in Tahoe that run 180 full time and love it.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Anyone here run a 180mm fork on their HD o HD-R?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    I bumped out my Lyrik to 180 and added a -1.5 Works headset and keep it there all the time. On steep uphills is can tend to wander a bit, but once you get used it, it's easy to counter/control that. I run it at the DH park here(Steven's Pass) on the 3 trails they have built so far, and on the local XC trails.

Once I buy a dedicated DH bike I will probably change it to 170, but if you really want a do-it-all 180 and -1.5 degree is pretty nice.
    How'd u get the lyrik up to 180mm? Did u have to get the domain lower legs?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ran 180 float for a bit but prefer the 160 for my local riding (SF bay area trail riding) for geometry reasons.
    my son runs a 170 lyric coil and that works great for him - he leaves the ground a lot more than I do ;-)