mtbr member

Anyone have an all mountain or FR build mojo?

Now that I have had the mojo for a while I have been thinking of beefing up the capabilities of my mojo. I am wondering if other mojo owners have built up their bike with heavier duty gear. I am thinking of getting a used coil shock, 50mm transition stem and a set of azonic or transition wheels for starters. I would really like a slacker head angle but can't afford a new longer fork right now since there is really no problem with my Fox RLC. Also, for those long days at Kingdom trails, I would like to easily convert back to a lighter trail bike. Anyone else getting the urge or have pics of a beefy build?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

i ride a heavy mojo

This is my fat mojo. Others ride similarly fat versions of the Mojo.

IMG_2020.JPG

Mojo
    - Lyrik U-Turn Coil 160mm Fork
    - Pushed Fox Vanilla Coil Shock
    - Bashguard
    - Maveric Speedball Remote Seatpost

I also have a Pace RC41 Fork that I may put back on at various times throughout the summer.

I ride places like Moab and Pueblo in the Winter and assorted enjoyable trails in the Colorado Rockies throughout the summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

All Mountain Mojo SL

I've been riding this beauty for a couple months now and I'm truly amazed on how well it handles. I built this bike with one intention in mind, to build the (Ultimate All Mountain Trail Bike). I'm very happy with the results! I love climbing tuff technical terrain!!!! and this bike those it well, despite it's 27 LBS the bike feels very agile and has very good low speed handling traits (in part due to the 36 talas at 100mm, the DHX on max propedal and DW-Link). When in flat terrain,tight single track or railing a corner this bike feels so balanced and in control. With the fork set at 130mm the bike just flows effortlessly. On downhills with the fork at 160mm and DHX in full open I'm constantly looking for the roughest lines I could find, but I have to remind myself that I don't have the skills that Brain Lopes has.

With its DW-Link, Ultra High Modulus Carbon fiber frame and good looks, the Ibis Carbon Mojo is a Dream come true!!!!

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    Now that I have had the mojo for a while I have been thinking of beefing up the capabilities of my mojo. I am wondering if other mojo owners have built up their bike with heavier duty gear. I am thinking of getting a used coil shock, 50mm transition stem and a set of azonic or transition wheels for starters. I would really like a slacker head angle but can't afford a new longer fork right now since there is really no problem with my Fox RLC. Also, for those long days at Kingdom trails, I would like to easily convert back to a lighter trail bike. Anyone else getting the urge or have pics of a beefy build?

You can't slacken the HA w/o changing your fork. Adding a shorter stem or higher rise bar just changes your position on the bike which would help (or hurt) depending on what you're trying to accomplish. A taller tire would only have a marginal affect on HA. Something that would have worked if the Mojo did not have an integrated headset was to buy a Chris King race like this: http://ventanausa.com/main_accessories.html It's really designed to increase clearance for some fork's knobs and the downtube but that would also have the benefit of changing your HA. I don't know if it would be compatible with Cane Creek headsets (i'm assuming you have one), but it would be interesting to know. It's a really cheap alternative if all you're trying to do is slacken out the bike.

But beyond that, a shorter stem and higher rise (wider as well) bar would make a big difference and is a relatively cheap upgrade as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo1034
    I've been riding this beauty for a couple months now and I'm truly amazed on how well it handles. I built this bike with one intention in mind, to build the (Ultimate All Mountain Trail Bike). I'm very happy with the results! I love climbing tuff technical terrain!!!! and this bike those it well, despite it's 27 LBS the bike feels very agile and has very good low speed handling traits (in part due to the 36 talas at 100mm, the DHX on max propedal and DW-Link). When in flat terrain,tight single track or railing a corner this bike feels so balanced and in control. With the fork set at 130mm the bike just flows effortlessly. On downhills with the fork at 160mm and DHX in full open I'm constantly looking for the roughest lines I could find, but I have to remind myself that I don't have the skills that Brain Lopes has.

With its DW-Link, Ultra High Modulus Carbon fiber frame and good looks, the Ibis Carbon Mojo is a Dream come true!!!!

That is one sweet ride! How do you like the paint/finish on that SL? I haven't seen an SL in person. Do you like the rubberized matte finish or would you prefer the shiny finish of the standard mojo? I have to admit I really like the guinness foam in person, but doesn't look as good in the picture.

mtbr member

Head angle...

Yeah, as far as the head angle there isn't much I can do unless I get a new fork. I looked into Enduro's headset extender and it won't fit on the cane creek. If anyone knows of another solution please let me know. I can't go wider than 28" on the bars, if anything I need to trim them a little because the trees are so tight here, but I have held off. The 90mm stem made a huge difference and the 50 or 65 I'll try next might help more. The higher riser is a good idea. For the most part the head angle feels good, I am just looking for more stability on the tall steep rollers. After a nasty crash that left me with a chipped tooth and two bruises the size of apples I never want to endo again!

www.derbyrims.com
    Mineís a light AM build now for most California conditions. I put heavier knobbed tires and platform clip-in pedals for trips to the desert. Itís just hovering at 30 lbs or just under as pictured.

PUSH Industry tuned coil suspension, front Ė í08 Vanilla RLC, and rear Ė Ď02 Vanilla RC. Iím waiting on a PIKE u-Turn 95 Ė 140mm travel coil 454 with 20mm axle to be delivered and PUSH tuned. The flex of the Fox 140 fork is noticeable since Iím coming off a couple years riding a Nixon fork with 20mm axle (PUSH wonít tune the Nixon and didnít tune the PIKE last summer when I got the RLC, and Iím spoiled now by their fine tuning quality and big increase in usable damping adjustment for different trail conditions).

AMP height-adjustable seat post with remote, with 1 and 4 inch drop (very high quality precision).

650b front wheel feels like 1 inch more travel and slows steering slightly and raises pedal clearance slightly. I can use a click or two firmer compression damping, reducing dive without adding any harsher feel and it rolls better over rocks and roots and carves better than a smaller wheel. It only feels a little floppy balancing at a near stop around tight uphill switchbacks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Anyone tried a "really" short stem?

My 90 feels good for techy trail but I am thinking of going as short as 50mm for the rollers etc. Anyone tried that? Is the front end all over the place on any climbs? maybe a 65 or 70mm would be better? I do have long arms but I have trouble getting behind the seat unless I bump the seat forward a few cm and then the ride steers a bit twitchy. I have long legs and the seat needs to be almost all the way back to feel comfortable on the legs.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    My 90 feels good for techy trail but I am thinking of going as short as 50mm for the rollers etc. Anyone tried that? Is the front end all over the place on any climbs? maybe a 65 or 70mm would be better? I do have long arms but I have trouble getting behind the seat unless I bump the seat forward a few cm and then the ride steers a bit twitchy. I have long legs and the seat needs to be almost all the way back to feel comfortable on the legs.
    I am 6' 0" on a large frame and run a 50mm stem on my Mojo. I move my body around a lot when climbing technical stuff and I am climbing technically better than I ever have and feel like I am still improving constantly. The bike certainly does't wander on me as I climb techy stuff.

The difference on the way down is insane - between the shorter stem and my speedball seat post I think those two things alone have made the biggest difference in my confidence on slow technical descents.

mtbr member

Awesome...50mm it is...

I am 6'0" too on a large and it sounds like the 50mm might be a good match. I'll give it a try

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    The difference on the way down is insane - between the shorter stem and my speedball seat post I think those two things alone have made the biggest difference in my confidence on slow technical descents.
    This is slightly off the subject of shorter stem, but still on the All Mountain topic... I'm with zzsean on the remote adjustable seatposts. I installed a GravityDropper a few months ago and my downhilling (both the speedy and slower technical stuff) has improved dramatically. It adds maybe 100-200 grams to bike weight, but it WAY more than makes up for it in what it does for your riding abilities.

Some riding buddies use them, and I used to mock their odd looking and gimmicky posts. I figured I only lowerer or raised my post once or twice on a ride, so why do I need a contraption for that. But then I tried one and never looked back. You start using it more and more on your rides even on the short ups and downs, and that ability to change the bikes geometry with a flick of the thumb have improved my riding abilities and enjoyment more than any bike upgrade I've ever made (besides buying my Mojo of course!).

And I know I need to go shorter stem shopping too...