RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Anyone go from an SL to an HD? Size questions.

I'm 5'9" with a 32-.32.5" inseam and have a medium SL with a 90mm stem and wide 711mm bars with no offset seat post (seat in the middle). The fit is decent, but wouldn't go to a shorter stem. As it stands I could probably get away with a large. I feel I'm on the size border.

I'm looking to get an HD 140 and go 650b, and want a shorter stem (70-80mm). Looking to see if there is anyone out there that may be in the same predicament. The obvious solution is to demo, but there are not many around to do so.

Is there anyone that was my height range that went from M to L, and glad they made the change? I know the TT is a tough longer from the HD to the SL, but not sure if that matters.

Hans, what do you think? Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yep, I'm 5'9" with 32" inseams. I had a Medium Mojo SL and just recently switch to a large Mojo HD. I use a 50mm stem with a 750mm wide bar & I find the fit perfect.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    MTBbiker, how was your cockpit set up beforehand?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    MTBbiker, how was your cockpit set up beforehand?
    I had my SL set up with a laid back seat post, 80mm stem & short bars.

My HD has straight up seat post. Fit is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I have a 50mm stem coming, we about the same size, and I ride med SL's as well. I will be going from my 80mm down to a 50mm for more balance. I will let you know the difference. Also being that the HD seems more rear heavy compared to some other bikes, going to a laid back or move the seat back on the rails tends to balance the bike out, at least that's what I have found for me.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll post up a pic to get all your opinions as to whether I should stay on a medium, or move to a large HD.

Edit: added pic

As you can see the seat is fairly high. Looking to go to a large HD with a 70mm stem and 650B wheels. Not sure if going from a medium sl, with a tt of 22.8", to a L HD140 with a tt of 23.7" is a far stretch.

Anyone go from an SL to an HD?  Size questions.-mojo.jpg
    Last edited by RPG; 07-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    Yep, I'm 5'9" with 32" inseams. I had a Medium Mojo SL and just recently switch to a large Mojo HD. I use a 50mm stem with a 750mm wide bar & I find the fit perfect.
    mtbbiker, could you take a measurement for me? I was curious to see what the distance is from the center of your stem clamp (center of handlebars in the stem) to the back edge of your seat. My bars are a touch lower than my seat so the nose doesnt get in the way. Would love to see a pic of your set up too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Not trying to hijack this thread. But I've the same question, except I am coming from a large Mojo SL and debating between large and medium HD. I threw Alago for both bikes today only really got to power all around the medium and I'm going to take it for a demo in a week or so to really ride it for a full day and see if I feel cramped with a 50 mm stem. The large looked and felt pretty big even compared to my Mojo SL large.
    Last edited by hani1; 07-23-2012 at 10:36 AM.