Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone else running Wolf Tooth 1x?

I recently discovered Wolf Tooth components through a friend he set up his bike 1x10. I thought I would give it a try, so far after 3 rides, no dropped chain. I decided to go with a 32t ring with a 11-36 cassette.

Living in Gunnison, CO I thought the 32t maybe be a little tough on steeper climbs, especially in Crested Butte, but on the other hand a 30t I would be spun out on most downhills. I'm still spun out on the dh's, but I may try to get a 10t for the cassette if possible.

Best part is I dropped a pound, yes a pound off my HD and it's really noticeable! Price per pound upgrade was $78. So stoked on this upgrade so far! My HD now weighs 28.4lbs.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

mtbr member
    I'm running one as well (34T with 11/36 on the rear). I'm still running a full chain guide with mine but at some point will try to drop the bottom guide. Before running the Wolf Tooth chainring, even with a Shadow Plus rear der I would occasionally pull my chain off the chainring to the outside when hammering in my 11T cog (even with the full top and bottom guide), which ruined the last race I did, so for now I'm fine with the probably overkill combination of full chain retention, clutch der and the narrow-wide chainring. No issues after about one month. Hopefully the chainring lasts longer than e13 chainrings, those things wear out fast and the WT is twice as expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am running one as well. I have only had one ride on it so far. I am running it on a ripley 1x10 with xtr shadow plus and just an outer bashguard and didn't drop the chain at all. So far so good, we'll see how it goes. I don't know how anyone rides without a bashquard of somesort though.. atleast out here in the east, it's hard not to hit at most places I ride
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Have been running one on mine for over a month now and havent dropped the chain once. Have it 1x10 with xt shadow der and a raceface bash, last ride I went out on I had the clutch system off on the rear der and still didnt drop the chain. Awesome product and highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Same with the others... running a 34 and 36 ( for enduro races only ) and haven't dropped a chain yet...

I have a slightly different setup though... i'm using a NSB 1x 104bcd spider for the X0 crank, and then standard WTC 104 34 and 36 chainrings as I wanted to avoid any screwy proprietary offset patterns ( xx1 ). With my setup I can now run any 104 bcd fat/skinny chainrings.

Regardless, the chainrings have held up great to 3 BME race/practices and about 50+ miles per week of riding for ~3 months now.
    Last edited by rodeoj; 07-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    i am running 32 teeth narrow/wide from race face. pretty much same thing for 1/2 price. have about 200 miles on rough colorado front range trails. no dropped chain so far. no guide or tensioner. just clutch rear der. great upgrade.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm running one on my SL-R. I dropped a chain on the second ride, then installed an MRP 1x upper guide. No drops since. I've got a picture up in the SL-R picture and build thread.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Will be using it when I convert my drivetrain to XX1, as I ill be keeping my XTR cranks.

Dissolved member
    Has anyone been able to test real differences between the "classic" 1x rings like the Bling Ring and the new generation wide/narrow teeth rings? I run 1x10 w/ a Type 2 RD, Bling Ring 32T and a skid plate from MRP G2 Mini (both guides removed) and I have yet to drop the chain from the Bling Ring.

Team Chilidog!
    Ran a 28T Bling Ring with an AMg bash/guide before going back to a Shimano 2x10 (I suck at climbing, so I like having the extra gears).

Never had any drops on the Bling Ring.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member

Silence is golden....

Not running a NW at the moment but have a Wolftooth 30T on order. Running an Absolute Black 30T at the moment. Love this setup though, complete silence from the drivetrain.

Once the Wolftooth is installed I'll experiment by removing the top guide and sticking it in my back pack. It will be fine for most of my trail riding but will see how it performs on brutal French Alpine trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else running Wolf Tooth 1x?-photo-18-.jpg  

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are you guys running these with just regular Shimano/KMC 10 spd chains, or have you switched to a SRAM 11spd chain when you did the upgrade. I'm wondering if the narrow/wide profile works with the standard Shim/KMC 10 spd chains.

Thanks!
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    standard chain
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Standard 10 speed KMC for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Anyone else running Wolf Tooth 1x?

Standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I love the silence, but keep finding myself spun out on downhills with the 32t-11t. I can see the advantage of the 11 speed, with the wider range. Damn you Sram!

mountain biker
    I've had a 32t WT chainring on my bike since March. Only one dropped chain, but it was from a large impact, straight onto my crank, and high speed in a compression. Not much short of a full DH top&bottom guide would have prevented.

Setup: Mojo HD, 32t WT ring, RaceFace SixC cranks, Straitline bashguard, 11-36 XT cassette, Zee derailleur, 10sp KMC chain.

I'm throroughly impressed and pleased with this setup. I think it is one of the best "innovations" in mountain biking since suspension and clipless pedals....

edited to add: since we're midway through a particularly wet summer up here in the North East, I should say that wear seems to be minimal and that after a wet spring and early summer performance hasn't changed.
    Last edited by slyfink; 08-01-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Dropshot Champ!
    is anyone running one w/o a clutch type rear d?

how effective does it become without that piece of the puzzle.

I saw someone in here had the clutch type off...but I think with the clutch off, there is still more tension than a regular rear d, correct?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    man when I read posts like this it just makes me realize how horribly out of shape I am and how poor of a climber. I've visited my brother in law out in CB and can't imagine having to ride uphill there.
    Hell I need my granny on my 3x10 set up here in MD for some hills.

Hat's off, sorry for the derail.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Running a 32T RF Narrow-wide on my Ripley with Shadow+. Took off my e13 XCX and tried no guide in front. First ride I dropped the chain twice...so I put back on my guide again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Been running a WT 30 for about 4 months now with an XT clutch der and 10sp chain. No chain guide or bash guard. So far, zero dropped chains and no rock strikes and we ride pretty technical rock gardens routinely. It's been a great combination in my opinion.

Off the back...
    I've been rolling the 30T for the last few weeks and am pretty pleased. I dropped a chain whilst crashing, but otherwise it's been flawless. Setup is SLX crank, Ultegra 10sp chain, XT 36T cassette, Zee derailleur.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just threw a 30T Wolf Tooth on my SLR, took off the chain guide and I love it. Only thing I can hear on the bike is my CCDB air cycling, crazy, no drops yet!

mtbr member
    I got about a month on the 32T wolftooth with XX1, no drops whatsoever. Even on the chunder. No guide, just a bash ring

mtbr member
    Update: For some reason I have been dropping my chain lately. Thinking my chain was a little too long. I just put a 34t on and took out another link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast