Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Anyone crack a frame yet?

I am soooooooooo bummed!
    Was cleaning up the bike for a ride and found what at first looked like a scratch in my Eddy orange frame.
    When I cleaned it up and inspected it, It turned out to be a crack in the frame on the top tube just in front of the seat tube.
    Took it to the LBS were I bought the frame and they did confirm my horror.

They are going to call IBIS tomorrow to warranty it, but now I have to ride my back up and it just is not even close to the bliss I was receiving from my Mojo.

I know that I did not have my seat post up too high, Its a 410mm length and I was only using half of the length.
    Was wondering if any other owners have had any issues with a cracked frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What kind of seatpost?

Do you ride carbon seatpost? I broke a Saltamontes frame same place and when Sherwood looked at it (I took it right back to the factory) he said the carbon seatpost I was riding probably contributed. Something to do with the flexiness. I'm medium weight and post was well into the frame, it wasn't that. But CF posts do slop around.

If it was a Thomson or whatever, not sure what happened. The Ibis folks monitor this board, tho, hey guys any thoughts here? I'd sure like to avoid cracking my brand new black Mojo I waited 3 months for!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    strange place for a crack to appear. was your seatpost plenty long enough?

I have been riding my Mojo in colorado and moab since last October and I have a few scrapes on it but no cracks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

... and if we just ...

Seat post is a Thomson 410mm length, had a least 190mm of it in the frame.
    I am a big guy (230# with gear) but was told that these were very strong frames.
    I left the whole bike with my LBS just in case someone from Ibis wanted to see it built.
    I bought it (frame only) in Capitola which is only ten minutes from Scotts Valley, home of Ibis.

You know how hard it is to get by without your Mojo, I just want to get mine back as soon as possibile

It's the axle
    I'm finding it hard to believe it could be a serious crack. Just because the fabric layers are overlapped to avoid that kind of thing. Weird.

I hope your withdrawals aren't too painful.

mtbr member
    Doh!

This is the first time I've heard of any damage to a Mojo. Would you happen to have any pics?

Being the clumsy rider I am, I usually average two wipeouts per ride but apart from some minor scratches in the clearcoat, I've yet to do any major damage. (I clean my Mojo after every ride because she sits inside my house. )

Trail Rider

Sorry to hear...

The seat post sits in an aluminum insert(another post on this forum) bonded to the frame. It seems if the post was at least to the bottom of the insert, it would be OK, unless the post was abnormally long and the rider was real heavy. From the pics of the insert, it is the normal insertion length. If you had any longer length in the seat tube, it seems like that wouldn't matter

How do you transport your bike?
    [size=4]Don[/size]

www.derbyrims.com
    This is the first publicly reported frame defect (other than paint chips on delivery). Sorry to hear, but mistakes happen.

You could most likely still continue to ride it safely until the warrantee frame arrives. Just keep an eye on it periodically during your rides. And try to avoid huge seat weight shift (ride a bit "light" until you trust it's OK.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    This is the first publicly reported frame defect (other than paint chips on delivery). Sorry to hear, but mistakes happen.
    Mine came with a couple of small but noticable gouges in the paint, along the bottom tube. Hmm, sounds like it could have come from the factory rather from the company that did the build. I wonder if fingernail polish would make them less noticable by 'wetting' the paint (orange)?

It's the axle
    Oh, I'm getting the impression it's above the top tube. Not below. One would be a frame problem, the other would be a frame attachment problem.

This sounds more like the seat tube issue that has been discussed recently.

But I'm just posting because I'm bored. So just ignore me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    The seat post sits in an aluminum insert(another post on this forum) bonded to the frame. It seems if the post was at least to the bottom of the insert, it would be OK, unless the post was abnormally long and the rider was real heavy. From the pics of the insert, it is the normal insertion length. If you had any longer length in the seat tube, it seems like that wouldn't matter

How do you transport your bike?
    It sits inside my (Mazda6) wagon.
    I would have continued to ride it except that it also had begun to make a creeking sound as well,(thought it was my seat) and since I am a big guy I just would have rather not have if fail on me while I was in the middle of a ride.

I am not so sure I could get the crack to show up in a pic, like I said I thought that I had scratched it at first, and had to feel the break in the clear coat to realize that it has a crack developing in the carbon material.
    The crack is on the top tube just in front of the bend that forms with the seat tube.
    I was reading about the aluminum seat tube inserts coming loose on a few of the frames and if you were to measure mine it is below were the insert would end, hummmm.

I am sure that from all of the other testimonials of Ibis's great customer service that I will get at least a new front triangle soon.

So in the meantime its back to my 05 Hollowpiont MKIII.

Trail Rider

Well that shoots down a theory...

Quote Originally Posted by Ibismojomofo
    It sits inside my (Mazda6) wagon.
    I would have continued to ride it except that it also had begun to make a creeking sound as well,(thought it was my seat) and since I am a big guy I just would have rather not have if fail on me while I was in the middle of a ride.

I am not so sure I could get the crack to show up in a pic, like I said I thought that I had scratched it at first, and had to feel the break in the clear coat to realize that it has a crack developing in the carbon material.
    The crack is on the top tube just in front of the bend that forms with the seat tube.
    I was reading about the aluminum seat tube inserts coming loose on a few of the frames and if you were to measure mine it is below were the insert would end, hummmm.

I am sure that from all of the other testimonials of Ibis's great customer service that I will get at least a new front triangle soon.

So in the meantime its back to my 05 Hollowpiont MKIII.
    I thought maybe hanging from some kind of rack(I don't know if that is possible with the Mojo). I have a pickup truck and a Honda CRV with a hitch rack where the wheel fits in the rack to support the bike. Good luck! I'm sure by the great CS so far, Ibis will make it right. I love my Mojo, but I first experienced the DW link on a 06 MKIII. Those test rides made me want a DW bike. Thanks for sharing. I really don't like the forums that scold their members that announce that they broke a frame or others who hide the fact that their frame broke. All the info (good or bad is GOOD) IMHO
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member

We got you covered

Hello Ibismojomofo,

Tom from Ibis posting. Saw this thread and thought that I would chime in on a few things.

First of all, we were sorry to hear that you had a problem with the bike in the first place.

Second, as you probably already know a replacement front triangle was delivered to your LBS yesterday evening.

Third, when Ryan (another member of the Ibis team) inspected your frame he thought that the crack was probably superficial, not structural. Now, I haven't seen your frame yet personally - so I can't confirm his assessment categorically, but it sounds likely. It seems that some of the radiuses and more complex surfaces on the frame do not always come out of the mold smoothly. These surface defects are cosmetic, not structural. So the factory fills these divots with resin, and - in the case of slightly larger ones - places a carbon fiber patch over the top of it. The frame then goes through a second curing process to make the additions integral to the structure. However, the carbon fiber patches are not subject to the same kind of pressure during this second curing and so the adhesion of the patch may not be adequate and it's possible for the surface to crack around the edges of the patch. Once again, this cracking is only on the surface, not in the underlayment.

That said, even this kind of defect is a rarity. I think that we have seen only one other frame like this, and that one was put into the fleet of demo bikes that we loan to dealers. It's still going strong 10 months later.

Also, I don't think that you need to be concerned about your size (weight) in regard to riding a Mojo. The frame's ultimate strength is several times your body weight, and - as quite a few people on this forum already know - I'm nearly as heavy as you, I ride with a perverse amount of seat post extension, and despite my rather inelegant manners on a bike I haven't been able to break one in almost two years now.

Finally, in reference to the creaking you heard, I doubt that it is related to the crack in the frame. It could come from a variety of sources, but a good place to start would be the BB or the seat post. I have frequently had problems with creaky BB's and find the best solution is to wrap the threads in silicon plumber's tape. With your seat post, make sure that all of the metal-to-metal contact areas have a film of grease on them - on the clamp bolts, between the lower clamp and the post, and on the saddle rails. In the frame itself we recommend using Tacx's assembly compound. It's a non-conductive paste that increases the friction between the seat post and the frame and reduces the clamping force required to secure the post in the frame.

Okay, that's it for now. I hope this has addressed some of your concerns. Feel free to contact us directly if you have any other questions.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ibismojomofo
    I am soooooooooo bummed!
    Was cleaning up the bike for a ride and found what at first looked like a scratch in my Eddy orange frame.
    When I cleaned it up and inspected it, It turned out to be a crack in the frame on the top tube just in front of the seat tube.
    Took it to the LBS were I bought the frame and they did confirm my horror.

They are going to call IBIS tomorrow to warranty it, but now I have to ride my back up and it just is not even close to the bliss I was receiving from my Mojo.

I know that I did not have my seat post up too high, Its a 410mm length and I was only using half of the length.
    Was wondering if any other owners have had any issues with a cracked frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great post. Nice to see Ibis folks on this forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

CS never sleeps

Tall Tom,
    You posted that at 4 AM. Are you up late or early?
    Scot

mtbr member
    It's hard to say. 4 am here is like 8 pm in China, which is neither late, nor early. It's seems that my head is still in China, which is why my ass was wide awake, sitting in my bathrobe posting on MTBR at 4 in the morning. Somebody remind me to take a sleeping pill tonight. ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My Ibis broke after one ride.

Hey guys and gals

I purchased my Mojo from my LBS last week picked it up on Thurs and rode it Fri. That being said after a good 30 miler on it I took it back to the LBS for just the first ride go over. My mechanic went to put it in the stand and the aluminum collar that is bonded to the inside of the seat tube came out with the seatpost. Needless to say I was pissed at first but I will say the guys at Ibis have given me nothing but confidence in them. They are giving me a whole new frame instead of sending me just the front triangle.

I hope this does not turn anyone away from Ibis. Owning my my own business I know how something like this can happen. nothing is perfect after all right. But Ibis has taken care of this matter far better then I expected. I think a company should be judged on two things 1) how well there products perform and last, 2) How well they handle a problem when it rears it's head. In Ibis case they pass with flying colors and that is why I will continue to ride an Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ibis Customer service rocks

Thanks Tall Tom for you insight and advice on tracking down the creek.

I am just waiting for the LBS to call me to come and pick up the frame (they offered to swap out the swingarm for me) so I can build it back up and go ride.

It is just fantastic that my issue was handled so quickly and without any questions about use or misuse of this awsome product.

I am a middle aged mountain biker that fell in love with this sport well before suspension and am in heaven with a bike of this caliber in my small stable of bikes.

I have to thank my buddy for drawing my attention to the Ibis Mojo,
    He enlisted my help while shopping for a new ride and I was sold on the DW link suspension of my Ironhorse Hollowpoint (I have an 04 and an 05) so my first advice to him was to find a bike that used this setup, or go buy a Hollowpoint for himself and to use mtbr.com as a source for information and insight from owners of the bikes he was looking at buying.

So, it was he who found your company and since we also knew that you folks were building them right in our backyard (so to speak)
    I called all of your listed dealers in my area to make sure they had them in stock so we could see one in the flesh and he could test ride one.
    Got to hand it to my friend, he even haggled the owner down on the price a bit and since the guy was in a weakened state (lol), I took full advantage of him and got the same deal on my Eddy orange frame only too.

It is a great product backed by a great group that make up a great company.

I hope you folks and this company stay around for a long time.
    Last edited by Ibismojomofo; 07-31-2007 at 11:05 AM.

It's the axle
    I also appreciate the vigilance and communication from Ibis. It's way more than I ever expected.

I was going to post how I just could not imagine this being a structural problem. It's one of those things I dream about and can't stop thinking about. I guess that is why I ended up a mechanical engineer. That doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about. But I was showering this morning while thinking of all of the possible modes of stress that particular area could be subjected to. It wasn't adding up.

So thanks. I can stop thinking about it and go back to crying about real estate values. $17 million on an acre in Atherton! Jeez...

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Ibis crew is amazing.

They've been posting on this forum back when we were curious about the new frame they called the Mojo.

They were here giving us shipment information when we were patiently awaiting our frames.

They continue to show their presence answering questions regarding pre-sales information, squeak troubleshooting to frame replacements.

What more can you ask for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Customer for life

Yeah, I don't think I will ever look to actually buy any other brand again.

Not to say I won't look......lol, they (new bikes) just look so pretty in the shop while they wait to go home with that special someone, uh metaphorically speaking of course.......lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i broke my swingarm on the left side.
    ibis replaced it immediately.
    now i have cracks in the paint at the seattube/toptube juncture and at the downtube/seattube juncture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by srust
    now i have cracks in the paint at the seattube/toptube juncture and at the downtube/seattube juncture.
    Details please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by srust

Does anyone else smell something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the vertical part of the swingarm-connecting what would be (on a hardtail) the chainstay and the seatstay-cracked. ibis sent my lbs a replacement immediately, no questions asked (of me, anyway).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast