mtbr member
    May 2011

Anyone 5'9" riding a Large HD?

Hey just wondering if there is anyone out there riding a Large HD who is around 5'9"? I 'm on a medium HD right now, but cannot help wonder if I should be on the large.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm kinda the opposite. Back in 07 when I bought my mojo there weren't any around to try out as there were only 2 dealers in Canada at the time. So I am 5' 9 1/2 and I went with the large but have always thought I should be on a medium. So now I am wanting an HD and I managed to briefly ride both sizes. The medium felt much better. So in a couple of months Ibis is bringing their demo bikes up to Kamloops and I am hoping to get a longer ride on both of the sizes. I'll try to remember to let you know how it went.
    Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What length of stem?

I'm running a 80mm stem and a set back seat post on my medium and it feels pretty good. I was thinking with the large I could go with a straight up post and a 70 stem and it would feel the same.

mtbr member
    I am 5'8" and ride a large HD w/ a 70mm stem. Fits me perfectly!

Here's some more info I wrote when I got the bike:
    Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice ride. I'm pretty much a 32 inseam as well. Is the seatpost sitting at riding height in the pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Nice ride. I'm pretty much a 32 inseam as well. Is the seatpost sitting at riding height in the pics?
    Yes, the saddle is at ride height (top of saddle to bottom bracket center = 73 cm). That leaves just a little bit of spare seatpost exposed on the Reverb. Here are additional pics.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have mine at 28.5".......pretty close.

With the 70mm stem, do you have any issues with the front end not being weighted enough in corners? Washout?I find if I run a 70mm on my Med. it gets a little light up front.

The Crow
    I'm 5'9 and in the process of selling my Med HD to go Large. 730mm bars with 65mm stem
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm 5'10, 32" inseam, longer arms and think the med HD fits me pretty well with a 70mm stem, 28.5" bars, and a STRAIGHT seatpost. I wouldn't mind 1/4-1/2" longer top tube, but it sure wouldn't make or break my fun of riding the bike. The large wouldn't fit with an adjustable seatpost for my needs. I like 5" of drop and another inch of manual drop available for real jump trails.

I'm not your coach, but if the front end gets light while climbing, move the seat forward (maybe go to a straight seatpost). If you are washing out the front tire on corners I'd say you're either running the wrong tire, too slow of rebound, too soft spring/air in the fork, or likely aren't pushing hard enough into the front of the bike. With the longer stem you need to move your whole body farther forward to weight it and then you can accidentally unweight the rear tire too much. Shorter stems mak it hard to overweight the front tire cause the force is going straight into the wheel, not leveraged off the front of it. The way I've always understood proper bike handling, the more weight you get on the front of the bike, the better it grips the front tire, so shorter TT only helps that happen faster. shorten the stem and then don't be afraid to get up on the front end and push it into the corner before laying on the gas and rocking back as you come out. Of course, there is a limit to this and I've seen even pros hit the dirt hard occasionally pushing too hard or when they hit something unexpected.

No disrespect, but you sound like you are used to more XC bike geo. From my days of teaching swimming and skiing I'd almost say exaggerate the FR bike geo by shortening the cockpit as much as possible for a while to break yourself of the muscle memory you've developed and then you should have a clean slate to find your perfect sweet spot of fit.

As for your original question...hmmmm, lets see...oh yeah, Brian Lopes is 5'9" and has been seen on both a medium and large HD's depending on the track

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lopes-2010
    Thur. morning was 8:30 DH practice. I got in about 5 or 6 runs, then spent the rest of the day visiting with those I haven't seen since last year and Joe spent the day building up my new Large Mojo HD. Yep, I have been on Mediums since two years ago and lately I have been riding a large SL and really like it, so all my XC & DH style bikes are going to a large size and all my jump/DS bikes are going to mediums. By the end of the day Joe had the sweet new HD all built up and I did the final adjustments to get her ready for the Friday morning 8:30am practice again.
    I take that as if it's about pedaling and going fast relatively straight, he's on the large, if he wants to whip around and corner fast, he goes med.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    No disrespect, but you sound like you are used to more XC bike geo. From my days of teaching swimming and skiing I'd almost say exaggerate the FR bike geo by shortening the cockpit as much as possible for a while to break yourself of the muscle memory you've developed and then you should have a clean slate to find your perfect sweet spot of fit.
    You're quite right...I do tend to like being more laid out over my bike. I have a tendacy to lean quite low into the bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    I'm kinda the opposite. Back in 07 when I bought my mojo there weren't any around to try out as there were only 2 dealers in Canada at the time. So I am 5' 9 1/2 and I went with the large but have always thought I should be on a medium. So now I am wanting an HD and I managed to briefly ride both sizes. The medium felt much better. So in a couple of months Ibis is bringing their demo bikes up to Kamloops and I am hoping to get a longer ride on both of the sizes. I'll try to remember to let you know how it went.
    Cheers,
    Straw
    Do you know if Ibis is bringing demo bikes to Vancouver area? I was able to ride one in Moab recently, but I've been dying to give the Mojo HD another go up here.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Hey just wondering if there is anyone out there riding a Large HD who is around 5'9"? I 'm on a medium HD right now, but cannot help wonder if I should be on the large.
    I don't know. I am 178cm - 82cm inseam.
    I ride a large. 90mm stem 6 degree pointing down. 580mm flat handlebar.
    I ride as much up as down, though it takes me much longer time to get up. Therefore that setup.
    Mojo is smaller in size large compared to a large Scott Strike HMF 2003 and same size as a medium Focus FIRST 2010. Both full suspension.
    The large 2009 Mojo fits me just perfect.
    Best bike I ever had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 5'9" with a 32' inseam and I ride a Large with a 55mm stem. I usually ride a medium frame and was a little skeptical when the shop I purchased my HD from reccomended a large frame but considering the bike shop owner is Brian Lopes personal mechanic, I couldn't really argue. Heck Lopes is 5'8" and he rides a large, so I figure I would run it.

After a few rides I came to the conclussion that the Large was a perfect fit for me.

mtbr member
    im 5.7 , 32. with a medium sl 50mm stem and seat is push back. i got a 70mm stem ordered in the post.
    im still wondering if i should have bought a medium. only had it a couple weeks, so still bedding in. waiting on the longer stem . :/
    2014 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2002? MountainCycle San Andreas
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL <-- for sale

mtbr member
    May 2006
    5'8.5" with a long torso and short legs. Med fits me perfect and after a little trial and error I went with a 65mm Stem and 711mm bar. Super natural seatpost with the seat positioned closer to the front of the bike.. I must be weird because a Large would be way to big for me.