Singletrack Addict!!!

Anybody has crank clearance issues with the Ripley?

I'm assembling one for a client. He has XX 154Q, left crank won't clear chainstay, near the bb, looking in directly on the left side of frame, crank arm will sit around 1 o'clock and hit stay. Tested one of my Noirs and same issue... GXP BB came off of his Trek hifi, I don't have other to cross check..

Anybody run into this issue? I'm pretty sure that a 164Q crank will solve the issue, but don't have one to test.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    I'm assembling one for a client. He has XX 154Q, left crank won't clear chainstay, near the bb, looking in directly on the left side of frame, crank arm will sit around 1 o'clock and hit stay. Tested one of my Noirs and same issue... GXP BB came off of his Trek hifi, I don't have other to cross check..

Anybody run into this issue? I'm pretty sure that a 164Q crank will solve the issue, but don't have one to test.
    How does a crank arm that is 30 degrees from vertical hit the chainstay?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Wrong perspective?? ok another try, around 80-85 degrees or closer to 2 o'clock. If you had a Ripley in your hand, you'd understand, I'd say it touches half way from the chainstay bend to the Lower pivot bolt location. Let me see if I can upload a pic.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a similar issue with a set of FSA K-Force light 386 cranks, and K-Force light 4 bolt cranks.

On each set of these cranks, the arm itself (the part from the spindle to the pedal axle) would clear the NDS chainstay, but the material on the opposite side of the spindle to the actual arm fouled the frame on rotation. I figured it was just one of "those" combinations that wasn't ideal for this frame, so emailed Ibis to let them know.

I had a set of XTR cranks sitting in my box of goodies as it happened, which solved the problem, but I was a little annoyed I couldn't run my first choice of crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    How does a crank arm that is 30 degrees from vertical hit the chainstay?
    The red line is vertical, the yellow 30 degrees (approx) from vertical - about the spot where the chainstays/swingarm assembly are at their widest. I hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody has crank clearance issues with the Ripley?-crankfoul.jpg  

It's the axle
    I was just looking at this thread, and Hans says a q factor of 154 will fit. So I don't know what the problem is with your situation.

Ideal front chainring size for 1x10/XX1 on the Ripley?
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    The red line is vertical, the yellow 30 degrees (approx) from vertical - about the spot where the chainstays/swingarm assembly are at their widest. I hope that helps.
    What is classically known as the seat stay.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    I was just looking at this thread, and Hans says a q factor of 154 will fit. So I don't know what the problem is with your situation.

Ideal front chainring size for 1x10/XX1 on the Ripley?
    Yup. My 156 q-factor XX1 cranks clear just fine on my large frame, but I will say it's Very close

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    What is classically known as the seat stay.
    What, the lower part of the swingarm?

I always thought the stay running parallel to the chain was the chainstay for some reason.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    What, the lower part of the swingarm?

I always thought the stay running parallel to the chain was the chainstay for some reason.
    I'm agreeing with you. The hypotenuse of the rear triangle would be the seat stay or upper swing arm, not the chain stay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Gregg K: Hans actually says a 156 q-factor will fit fine. If the XX is a Q154, then that might just be too narrow.
    Relayden: Just to make sure the obvious: correct number of spacers installed, and installed correctly?

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Correction Q factor is 156, there's no 154 Q XX crank, as far as I know. The illustration by Monolith is spot on. BB is a GXP, no spacers needed on it as the shell is 92mm. On the drive side the usual wavy washer and seal, non drive, seal. I had to install a Chris King SS spacer/washer I had laying around. It's aprox 1.5 mm thick, a dab of locktite on the arm nut to prevent it from loosening as the spline will not be set completely and so far so good. He rode 12 miles yesterday and around 12 today, no problems. However I'm gonna instal a new BB, as that one was a take off from his Trek Hi-fi. Just to rule out any discrepancies there. Without that spacer, crank will hit good. If that doesn't do it, new 164Q crank... Is that stay is thicker than usual? Hell, no way to tell for now. We'll see how it goes.

By the way, nice bike, rides a lot like my 140/150 mm HD, just a bit slower on the fast turning stuff. He has a Talas 34, so I guess with the 32 it should feel more nimble in those situations. Still, most agile 29er I've ridden to date.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm getting the exact same problem with my XL with 156 XX1 arms. With new SRAM BB installed correctly, wavey washer on drive side, no other spacers, the NDS arm hits the chain stay and one of the eccentric bolts.

Moving the wavey washer over to the NDS there is about 2mm of clearance. I'm not keen on this setup though as Relayden says the spline is not fully engaged (proven by how easy it is to remove the crank arm). The wavey washer is also no longer wavey, it's crushed flat, which means it is no longer able to do it's job.

Hans, I'd love to hear something official from Ibis about this. Either there is some serious quality control issues going on, or 156 just plain doesn't fit?

I'm more of a dog person
    I don't see how the spline would not fully engage even with a spacer on the nds. all that would do is shift the crankset towards the nds in the amount of the thickness of the washer. That's the whole point of the ds wavy washer, basically to absorb any tolerance discrepancies. I installed a thin washer on the nds as well just to give the crank a little more clearance as I was not comfortable with the minimal amount it had without it. Crank spline bottomed out fine, no issues there since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You are right that the wavey washer is there to apply preload and account for any tolerance discrepancies on the DS. However the GPX design is such that the NDS bearing is held between a lip on the axle and the crank arm. Adding spacers between the NDS crank and bearing is only going to reduce the amount of spline available for the crank to engage with.

See pic below copied from Enduro installation manual.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Quote Originally Posted by alixta View Post
    I'm getting the exact same problem with my XL with 156 XX1 arms. With new SRAM BB installed correctly

Hans, I'd love to hear something official from Ibis about this. Either there is some serious quality control issues going on, or 156 just plain doesn't fit?
    I am not sure what the problem is. We have several bikes with 156 q XX-1 at the shop and they fit. None of them are XL though. We will check an XL frame tomorrow and see if we can spot anything different that would cause a problem.

H

More info: we checked several frames at the shop, larges and an XL. All cleared XX-1 with the SRAM bb. The XL barely cleared and was a bit closer on one side. It normally would not be a problem, but there is very little clearance on those cranks so a 1mm or 1.5 mm change in BB face location can create interference. We assume that the XL frames with clearance problems mentioned in this thread have a bb shell that is machined slightly off.
    We are checking the fixtures at the factory and the next batch of frames to chase it down further. We'll post again with more info as we have it.

H
    Last edited by hanssc; 08-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the update Hans, I look forward to your feedback.

Jlian is also reporting the same issue with his small frame, albeit with an Enduro BB.

Ripley Picture and Build Thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the update Hans, I look forward to your feedback.

Jlian is also reporting the same issue with his small frame, albeit with an Enduro BB.

Ripley Picture and Build Thread
    My fix so far is using a 1mm spacer that comes with the Enduro BB on NDS. But my Ripley is still not assembled yet (too busy at work), so no idea if any issue when riding.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    My fix so far is using a 1mm spacer that comes with the Enduro BB on NDS. But my Ripley is still not assembled yet (too busy at work), so no idea if any issue when riding.
    That's the same plastic spacer that I used, been working fine so far, no issues. Btw the Enduro BB kicks a$$, quiet as a church mouse and smooth as silk. So silent compared to my external threaded Enduro which seemed to start creaking every so often. At least so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

More info: we checked several frames at the shop, larges and an XL. All cleared XX-1 with the SRAM bb. The XL barely cleared and was a bit closer on one side. It normally would not be a problem, but there is very little clearance on those cranks so a 1mm or 1.5 mm change in BB face location can create interference. We assume that the XL frames with clearance problems mentioned in this thread have a bb shell that is machined slightly off.
    We are checking the fixtures at the factory and the next batch of frames to chase it down further. We'll post again with more info as we have it.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the update. What does that mean for owners of 'off' frames?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the update. What does that mean for owners of 'off' frames?
    The main options are to change to the wider Q cranks or replace the frame.
    The next arrival of XL frames will be about September 5th. A replacement frame could be arranged from that shipment. There are ways to make it work otherwise, but those are the straight forward solutions.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hans, is this still an issue? Should the latest XL Ripley frames work with 156 q-factor cranks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pierats View Post
    Hans, is this still an issue? Should the latest XL Ripley frames work with 156 q-factor cranks?
    We actually changed our spec to the 168 Q since it was a little close with 156 even when everything was perfect.

H
    Last edited by hanssc; 06-18-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.