mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Any word on Lopes inspired bikes?

I dig my mojo but i want a big bike and dj bike, has anybody heard about a bike being unveiled yet?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    I dig my mojo but i want a big bike and dj bike, has anybody heard about a bike being unveiled yet?
    I hear and agree with you but I think the consensus around here is that the Mojo is so versatile that it easily covers the big bike and dj categories. So no need to design another frame. Though I hope Ibis thinks differently.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    I think it's gonna happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I hear and agree with you but I think the consensus around here is that the Mojo is so versatile that it easily covers the big bike and dj categories. So no need to design another frame. Though I hope Ibis thinks differently.
    no way. possibly in the hands of the best of the best, but not for the average cat. turn the mojo loose in the hands of the general public under the guise of it being either a big bike or a djer and you'll start seeing them broken and battered on the daily...

imho...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i'm confident in the abilities of the mojo but dj and dh riding seems a bit questionable for the not so smooth folk out there

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Not being unveiled, but certainly being thought about. Since IronHorse is moving away from DW-Link, Ibis and Pivot will be the main games in town. I'm confident that one, if not both, will offer a dedicated all-mountain 6" rig at some point in the next year.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i couldn't see ibis making a 6" travel bike. the mojo already pretty much covers everything up until that point. it can do XC with the right build, and it can easily hang with bigger bikes using a different build. I think that adding a more freeride style hardtail and a longer travel DH bike would round out their line up really well

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How about more frame sizes? I hear you on new bikes, but more than just 4 molds at the fab in China would be really really really nice. The gaps between sizes are way too big with only four sizes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i have my doubts that they can afford to make the molds. for mass production, they're most likely aluminum molds for durability. the aluminum to make a set of molds alone would cost several thousand dollars on their own, let alone the cost it would take to machine the mating molds. thats a lot of machine time to get the tolerances required for a monocoque mold.

Basically, it would be cost prohibitive to create molds in too many sizes, especially for a (relatively) small company like ibis.

Also keep in mind that carbon bikes like the mojo have very different mechanical properties. For each new size, the nice folks at ibis would need to due stress testing etc to ensure that everything was up to snuff. Things change with size much more than traditional tube designs, which you can pretty much change the tube length without significantly changing the physical properties of the bike.

Layup schedules also need to be altered for different size bikes so that things can get put together correctly.

Basically, there is a lot of (rather expensive) work that goes into the production of carbon products. Its reasonable for ibis to only be making a limited number of sizes

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IronHorse is moving away from DW-Link
    Where do you get that info from?

Also keep in mind that carbon bikes like the mojo have very different mechanical properties. For each new size, the nice folks at ibis would need to due stress testing etc to ensure that everything was up to snuff. Things change with size much more than traditional tube designs, which you can pretty much change the tube length without significantly changing the physical properties of the bike.

Layup schedules also need to be altered for different size bikes so that things can get put together correctly.

Basically, there is a lot of (rather expensive) work that goes into the production of carbon products. Its reasonable for ibis to only be making a limited number of sizes
    You got all of it correct
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Grams Light Bikes
    [QUOTE=wheelhot]Where do you get that info from?

Per _dw statement "Mosty likely never, barring unforseen future developmemts.. Iron Horse's dw-link license will terminate after the 2008 model year, and I moved on from consulting on high end development work for IH in June 2007."

For what thats worth?

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    It's not just about travel, it's about intended, optimal use. While the Mojo can be built up as a light all-mountain rig, that is NOT its optimal use. A 6" to 6.5" travel dedicated all mountain rig with commensurate geometry would be awesome.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    It's not just about travel, it's about intended, optimal use. While the Mojo can be built up as a light all-mountain rig, that is NOT its optimal use. A 6" to 6.5" travel dedicated all mountain rig with commensurate geometry would be awesome.
    I agree with SVS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, so it seems DW need to license his contract with IH after 08? Which also mean that IH could possibly no more using DW-Link as on 09 like what Turner did with HL?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thats a very good point, but also consider what i said about the production of carbon bikes. a new bike would cost the company several thousand dollars to design and bring to market, which is something that a smaller company like ibis probably can't afford. if the mojo can handle a broad spectrum of uses, it will save the company money. this ultimately allows lower prices, which we all benefit from. offering a longer travel bike (more 7-8") would allow them to cover the full range of bike types, while still keeping costs/prices low

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    thats a very good point, but also consider what i said about the production of carbon bikes. a new bike would cost the company several thousand dollars to design and bring to market, which is something that a smaller company like ibis probably can't afford. if the mojo can handle a broad spectrum of uses, it will save the company money. this ultimately allows lower prices, which we all benefit from. offering a longer travel bike (more 7-8") would allow them to cover the full range of bike types, while still keeping costs/prices low
    A 7" bike with nice slack angles would be even better!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    If you have read comments by "Chuck Ibis" and Brian Lopes you would know that they are working on longer travel bikes.
    So your assumptions about Ibis not being able to afford to develop and make new bikes are not correct

mtbr member
    May 2007
    not so much that they cant afford to develop too many bikes. people were calling for a full spread of bikes, including a shorter travel XC, a 6" AM, and the full DH. i was saying that it would be con ineffective for them to produce a full range like that, when the mojo can cover 3/4 of the full range. basically, a long travel DH style bike would be in their best interests from my point of view, since it would get really expensive to develop a 6-6.5" AM on top of an 8" DHer

hope that cleared stuff up. glad to hear there are new bikes in the future though