Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Updates on the Ripley?

28K views 138 replies 63 participants last post by  Jubas 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know more about potential availability? I heard this summer like around July/August.

I have a Tallboy that I'm not unhappy with, but I tried the DW Link in the Pivot 429 and definitely prefer it to the VPP Suspension.

#98 ·
Better to under promise and over deliver then to promise and never deliver. Every bike has been a waiting game and after time that becomes too much to take. I have an original carbon "Flexable Flyer" which I am over at this point,to many chain drops, chain suck, bent chains etc. Sent a note to them about getting a chain guide, told then I did not want to spend a lot of money. They wrote back that a new clutch derailleur which would require a new shifter etc... Never really answered my question and ignored the fact I said I have no money, kids in college and all. Was thinking about the Ripley but I give up. By the time this bike comes out it will be lost in a sea of 120 29ers, the only saving grace may be the eccentric pivots but unless they are beyond compare it will end up being a so what moment. My local shop is frustrated as are many of the customers. Sorry Ibis but the same game on every release is OLD.

#99 ·
By the time this bike comes out it will be lost in a sea of 120 29ers, the only saving grace may be the eccentric pivots but unless they are beyond compare it will end up being a so what moment. My local shop is frustrated as are many of the customers. Sorry Ibis but the same game on every release is OLD.
I still have high hopes for the Ripley, but on the whole release business, it was interesting to read an interview with Scott Nichol in the latest issue of Switchback magazine where he said that he planned to start running Ibis more like Apple, meaning that customers are not likely to hear much about new bikes until right before the actual release.

#108 ·
Would be nice if Ibis takes some lessons from CC and works on the "under promising and over delivering" in the future. I was on the fence a couple years ago between buying a Sultan or waiting on the Ripley. Thank goodness that I went ahead with the sultan. It's a great bike, great company, made in the US...

I'm now thinking about my next bike, and have a very sour taste in my mouth with the way the ripley has been hyped, without so much as geometry?? I'm not plunking down a cash deposit on a concept, and not willing to keep waiting on a bike that's likely going to be hard to demo. In terms of waiting for the first ride impressions, those reviews will be coming from dealers and people who have been waiting for months if not years. Many of these are loyal to the ibis brand. I'm sure the reviews will be great, just like those for the burner, tallboy, rip9, etc.

This is just my opinion.

#113 ·
Well said marz.

Just thankful they made the awesome frames to date they have, esp the HD cant think of a better ride I would want right now, rides roots and flows as good as any 29er Ive owned or ridden.

Just have to commit stay loose the HD creams it, this bike proves 26ers are here to stay regardless of the marketing compaines pushing 650b, I personally understand why 29ers 650b apeal to many riders sizing etc, but newer riders are missing the skills we were forced to develop, sure they can ride fast until they get to where it dosent matter what bike youre on rider skill is rider skill regardless, Im seeing this more and more on the trails.

This is the first 26er imo that can compete with a 29er for rolling speed and grip, off camber etc a 9er definitely gives more percieved confidence.

For racing XC endurance I would also choose a 9er no question.

Would love to see the Ripley one day sounds like it will be a cool bike, but you will have to pry my HD from my cold dead hands bike industry before I giver her up shes a keeper.:p

#114 ·
Yeah the Ripley is really nice. Having seen a few up close, it's a killer bike for sure. I am not a 650B or 29er fan, but I see the market going in that direction. The reason why the Ripley was announced was because of all the phone calls they were getting about doing a 29er. With the skeleton staff needed to do trouble shooting on current bikes, they didn't have the resources to answer the hours of phone calls every day about a 29er, so they had to come out and say they were designing one. So they put it out there, then it took off from there. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't but from such a small and dedicated group, it's not like they can just push them out like SC or bigger companies and still keep their customer service at the high levels they are.

The DW link has many benefits over everything else, but designing them to work in a package while maintaining the ride, and being able to design it so that all these different parts work with it is an engineering feat, but it does take time. When they start getting these out, you will be getting the best of the best, but the best takes time.

#115 ·
Some of you guys act like you are on their payroll? I agree that not rushing a bad product out the door is important to keeping small businesses running. However missing the market because it takes you a year longer to develop said product can also kill a business. What was innovative a year ago, may be outdated by this ride season.

#118 ·
Hardly, though I would welcome that opportunity haha.

A good bike is a good bike, regardless of wheel size design and even linkage, you guys forget this is a boutique market, not a mass produced corporate machine that jumps on everything the consumer thinks they want.

If you want it so bad then you wait for it, if not b***g and moaning wont make it come any sooner, consumers like that come and go, jump brands like changing under wear, Im sure Ibis will survive and prosper, plenty of good options in the market until then anyway.

I say cut them some slack, you guys think its like life and death, far more important things to worry about in the world, dam lucky you can enjoy such products while others fight to get a job or stay in work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.