Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Updates on the Ripley?

28K views 138 replies 63 participants last post by  Jubas 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know more about potential availability? I heard this summer like around July/August.

I have a Tallboy that I'm not unhappy with, but I tried the DW Link in the Pivot 429 and definitely prefer it to the VPP Suspension.

#108 ·
Would be nice if Ibis takes some lessons from CC and works on the "under promising and over delivering" in the future. I was on the fence a couple years ago between buying a Sultan or waiting on the Ripley. Thank goodness that I went ahead with the sultan. It's a great bike, great company, made in the US...

I'm now thinking about my next bike, and have a very sour taste in my mouth with the way the ripley has been hyped, without so much as geometry?? I'm not plunking down a cash deposit on a concept, and not willing to keep waiting on a bike that's likely going to be hard to demo. In terms of waiting for the first ride impressions, those reviews will be coming from dealers and people who have been waiting for months if not years. Many of these are loyal to the ibis brand. I'm sure the reviews will be great, just like those for the burner, tallboy, rip9, etc.

This is just my opinion.

#111 ·
You guys do realize that Ibis is not a company with hundreds of people right? Things take time. They don't rush stuff out like specialized just to fill a hole. Give them time. They only have around 7-10 people that work there. They cannot release the bike early because of hundreds of potential problems, new parts not fitting or testing issues that come up, getting the geometry just right, layup corrections, making sure all the parts work within the suspension system, shock tuning, getting fox to build a shock to many specs. All of this has to be sorted out before production, then you have production problems that always come up. If they release the bike early with issues, that can and will destroy a company faster than anything. They cannot afford to do that. These things take time. Lots of time to do it correctly. If you spend $2500-3000 on a frame, you want it right the first time. It's not biking season. Give them a break.

#112 ·
They only have around 7-10 people that work there.
Twelve, including owners, if memory serves. I certainly agree with your point. A dozen folks and they'll still answer your phone call before the second ring. It's fantastic that we can get such service from so few people presumably wearing many hats.

Would be nice if Ibis takes some lessons from CC and works on the "under promising and over delivering" in the future.
I'm sure Ibis has gotten the message. First the SLR delays, and now Ripley. I think that's part of the reason they're being so coy. They don' want to generate any more hype for this bike without it being something you could ride this week.

Scott Nicol said as much in the recent interview with Switchback Magazine. Responding to what's next for Ibis, he replied,

Scott Nicol said:
...what we are going to do is not talk about products until they are in our warehouse. We are going back to the Apple model. It is astonishing to me that Apple keeps the secrets they keep and have a product delivered to their stores virtually the same time the public hears about it. We do like that way of doing business where we don't talk about things until we have them.
He goes on to tease about "several" new bikes this year (presumably including but not limited to the Ripley). I'm certainly curious, but I'd rather not know about a bike I couldn't plausibly demo until a year later. Frankly, I think that will lead to better bikes for us. Let them do their jobs of imagining and building the best bikes they can, without having to hop over explain every production delay. I'd rather they took their time, especially considering it's only January, than repeat the SLR release experience and have to explain why only the Large Black frames are shipping this month but your Small Orange is coming soon, promise.

**Full disclosure, having recently built a 650b HD, I am not anxiously awaiting being able to purchase a Ripley, though I do look forward to and Ibis release.

#113 ·
Well said marz.

Just thankful they made the awesome frames to date they have, esp the HD cant think of a better ride I would want right now, rides roots and flows as good as any 29er Ive owned or ridden.

Just have to commit stay loose the HD creams it, this bike proves 26ers are here to stay regardless of the marketing compaines pushing 650b, I personally understand why 29ers 650b apeal to many riders sizing etc, but newer riders are missing the skills we were forced to develop, sure they can ride fast until they get to where it dosent matter what bike youre on rider skill is rider skill regardless, Im seeing this more and more on the trails.

This is the first 26er imo that can compete with a 29er for rolling speed and grip, off camber etc a 9er definitely gives more percieved confidence.

For racing XC endurance I would also choose a 9er no question.

Would love to see the Ripley one day sounds like it will be a cool bike, but you will have to pry my HD from my cold dead hands bike industry before I giver her up shes a keeper.:p

#114 ·
Yeah the Ripley is really nice. Having seen a few up close, it's a killer bike for sure. I am not a 650B or 29er fan, but I see the market going in that direction. The reason why the Ripley was announced was because of all the phone calls they were getting about doing a 29er. With the skeleton staff needed to do trouble shooting on current bikes, they didn't have the resources to answer the hours of phone calls every day about a 29er, so they had to come out and say they were designing one. So they put it out there, then it took off from there. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't but from such a small and dedicated group, it's not like they can just push them out like SC or bigger companies and still keep their customer service at the high levels they are.

The DW link has many benefits over everything else, but designing them to work in a package while maintaining the ride, and being able to design it so that all these different parts work with it is an engineering feat, but it does take time. When they start getting these out, you will be getting the best of the best, but the best takes time.

#115 ·
Some of you guys act like you are on their payroll? I agree that not rushing a bad product out the door is important to keeping small businesses running. However missing the market because it takes you a year longer to develop said product can also kill a business. What was innovative a year ago, may be outdated by this ride season.

#128 ·
Enough. I won't repeat all the above reasons as to why to back off on the Ripley, it's been eloquently stated here. You're on this thread supposedly because you love the rides Ibis has created for all of us to enjoy. We are all part of the Ibis family, not a bunch of f**king whiners.

I am ashamed that Scott and Hans have to read some of this cr*p, it's pathetic and embarrassing.
We are damn lucky Scott had the passion, desire and incredible drive to bring Ibis back from the dead. They are putting out killer bikes now (ie I ride a SL), and they will continue to innovate.

If you want a Ripley and can pony up the coin, you WILL get your Ripley, and you will love it. Man up. If I owned the company and heard all this cr*p, frankly, I'd pull the plug and just go ride.

#131 · (Edited)
Wow, where did that negativity come from. Calling me a whiner for stating that I decided to buy a different top of the line bike because this one was not available when I wanted to purchase it. As stated I would have waited if some more specific information was available. Hopefully Hans and Scott do read this so they can see how they could have gained another customer, unfortunately they lost one for this year. Maybe the Ripley will be my next bike, or maybe not...I just could not wait any longer.

Why would we "back off", in a discussion about a bike that is yet to be released; isn't it ok to mention why we are not waiting. Ibis is just a company making bikes for a profit... you may think that the owners poop sunflowers and embodied in their bikes is the second coming of christ, but I don't insult you for this unbridled passion.

Settle down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.