Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Updates on the Ripley?

28K views 138 replies 63 participants last post by  Jubas 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know more about potential availability? I heard this summer like around July/August.

I have a Tallboy that I'm not unhappy with, but I tried the DW Link in the Pivot 429 and definitely prefer it to the VPP Suspension.

#131 · (Edited)
Wow, where did that negativity come from. Calling me a whiner for stating that I decided to buy a different top of the line bike because this one was not available when I wanted to purchase it. As stated I would have waited if some more specific information was available. Hopefully Hans and Scott do read this so they can see how they could have gained another customer, unfortunately they lost one for this year. Maybe the Ripley will be my next bike, or maybe not...I just could not wait any longer.

Why would we "back off", in a discussion about a bike that is yet to be released; isn't it ok to mention why we are not waiting. Ibis is just a company making bikes for a profit... you may think that the owners poop sunflowers and embodied in their bikes is the second coming of christ, but I don't insult you for this unbridled passion.

Settle down!

#111 ·
You guys do realize that Ibis is not a company with hundreds of people right? Things take time. They don't rush stuff out like specialized just to fill a hole. Give them time. They only have around 7-10 people that work there. They cannot release the bike early because of hundreds of potential problems, new parts not fitting or testing issues that come up, getting the geometry just right, layup corrections, making sure all the parts work within the suspension system, shock tuning, getting fox to build a shock to many specs. All of this has to be sorted out before production, then you have production problems that always come up. If they release the bike early with issues, that can and will destroy a company faster than anything. They cannot afford to do that. These things take time. Lots of time to do it correctly. If you spend $2500-3000 on a frame, you want it right the first time. It's not biking season. Give them a break.

#112 ·
They only have around 7-10 people that work there.
Twelve, including owners, if memory serves. I certainly agree with your point. A dozen folks and they'll still answer your phone call before the second ring. It's fantastic that we can get such service from so few people presumably wearing many hats.

Would be nice if Ibis takes some lessons from CC and works on the "under promising and over delivering" in the future.
I'm sure Ibis has gotten the message. First the SLR delays, and now Ripley. I think that's part of the reason they're being so coy. They don' want to generate any more hype for this bike without it being something you could ride this week.

Scott Nicol said as much in the recent interview with Switchback Magazine. Responding to what's next for Ibis, he replied,

Scott Nicol said:
...what we are going to do is not talk about products until they are in our warehouse. We are going back to the Apple model. It is astonishing to me that Apple keeps the secrets they keep and have a product delivered to their stores virtually the same time the public hears about it. We do like that way of doing business where we don't talk about things until we have them.
He goes on to tease about "several" new bikes this year (presumably including but not limited to the Ripley). I'm certainly curious, but I'd rather not know about a bike I couldn't plausibly demo until a year later. Frankly, I think that will lead to better bikes for us. Let them do their jobs of imagining and building the best bikes they can, without having to hop over explain every production delay. I'd rather they took their time, especially considering it's only January, than repeat the SLR release experience and have to explain why only the Large Black frames are shipping this month but your Small Orange is coming soon, promise.

**Full disclosure, having recently built a 650b HD, I am not anxiously awaiting being able to purchase a Ripley, though I do look forward to and Ibis release.

#128 ·
Enough. I won't repeat all the above reasons as to why to back off on the Ripley, it's been eloquently stated here. You're on this thread supposedly because you love the rides Ibis has created for all of us to enjoy. We are all part of the Ibis family, not a bunch of f**king whiners.

I am ashamed that Scott and Hans have to read some of this cr*p, it's pathetic and embarrassing.
We are damn lucky Scott had the passion, desire and incredible drive to bring Ibis back from the dead. They are putting out killer bikes now (ie I ride a SL), and they will continue to innovate.

If you want a Ripley and can pony up the coin, you WILL get your Ripley, and you will love it. Man up. If I owned the company and heard all this cr*p, frankly, I'd pull the plug and just go ride.

#2 · (Edited)
The new 29er from Ibis is the "Ripley", and it is supposed to be here in spring of 2012. I don't know when an order can be placed for them, but perhaps Ibis will ensure that they have plenty of bikes available and in the pipeline before taking orders. They didn't much like the SL-R debacle, I'll bet.

BTW, I want one. But I want it with a Cannondale Lefty.

#4 ·
They've had delivery issues with every bike they've made starting with the SL, then the Tranny, then the HD and HD 140, then the new style HD, now the SLR. So you can just expect it will take a year or so to smooth out the supply when the Ripley does come out. If its released this summer, you'll have to work to get one or otherwise wait until spring of 2013 when most dealers should have them.

#10 ·
Posted on the Ibis' Ripley page:

Delivery Update: The Ripley 29 is currently in development, prototype testing is going extremely well. First deliveries will happen sometime in 2012. Right now, we don't know when that will be. We do know that it will not be in the first quarter of the year.

#16 ·
For me, the problem with the Ripley is that there is nothing distinctively "Ibis" about it, at least not at a glance. I can spot a Mojo from a mile away because of the design of the frame. Nothing else really looks like it.

The Ripley looks great, but it looks like a lot of other 29ers out there, especially in that grey/black color. I know many people like stealth and "murdered out" looks these days, but I hope Ibis offers it in some traditionally bright colors like the original Mojo carbon so that it stands out from the herd.

#20 ·
I agree on the Ripley not looking like a Mojo (obviously), and I would've liked if it did. But I think they could have made the Ripley with the Mojo-look if they wanted to
They could but then it wouldn't have a bottle mount on top tube, which I'm guessing is more important to the target audience. I hate cleaning my camelback tubes (which grows black stuff every couple weeks) and miss the simplicity of the 2 water bottles of my road bike... though cameback is much easier to drink out of especially on rough terrain.

The mojo bottle mount is useless (get dirt on the mouth piece right away) other than for mounting the down tube protector on the HD....

#22 ·
Ibis Delivery Update: The Ripley 29 is currently in development, prototype testing is going extremely well. Our next announcement about the Ripley 29 will be when it is ready to ship. We anticipate that will be sometime in the second half of 2012. We'll release all the final details then: pricing, sizing, colors, geometry, components, etc.
In the mean time, we're working very hard to get it in your hands as fast as we can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.