Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 139 of 139
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    69
    I'm out, I ordered a sworks stumpie as I could not wait for a bike of unknown proportions. Just knowing the top tube length and a rough delivery date may have made me wait, but the total lack of info made me go for an alternative.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: D_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by krandrus View Post
    I'm out, I ordered a sworks stumpie as I could not wait for a bike of unknown proportions. Just knowing the top tube length and a rough delivery date may have made me wait, but the total lack of info made me go for an alternative.
    It does seem hard to know why the geometry can't be posted if the bike really and truly is close to delivery.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,415
    We think it will be more relevant if ride impressions accompany the release of the geometry info.

    H

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    533
    Wise idea to have credible reviews back up your product if the specs are unconventional. Might indicate that angles are unchanged?


    simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,718
    Had mine delivered the other day. First ride tomorrow.

  6. #106
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Had mine delivered the other day. First ride tomorrow.
    Piccs Rick or it didn't happen

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    533
    Yeah, pic with today's paper ;-)


    simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

  8. #108
    rsa
    rsa is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    78
    Would be nice if Ibis takes some lessons from CC and works on the "under promising and over delivering" in the future. I was on the fence a couple years ago between buying a Sultan or waiting on the Ripley. Thank goodness that I went ahead with the sultan. It's a great bike, great company, made in the US...

    I'm now thinking about my next bike, and have a very sour taste in my mouth with the way the ripley has been hyped, without so much as geometry?? I'm not plunking down a cash deposit on a concept, and not willing to keep waiting on a bike that's likely going to be hard to demo. In terms of waiting for the first ride impressions, those reviews will be coming from dealers and people who have been waiting for months if not years. Many of these are loyal to the ibis brand. I'm sure the reviews will be great, just like those for the burner, tallboy, rip9, etc.

    This is just my opinion.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honkonbobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    We think it will be more relevant if ride impressions accompany the release of the geometry info.

    H
    i get that to a point but i am a tall guy and need to know if the largest size is going to have an ETT in my ballpark. at this point IBIS doesnt make anything that fits me and hoping that will change.

  10. #110
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    Ripley believe it or NOT!!!!

    Ibis is bush league when it comes to delivering a 29er.
    beaver hunt

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,056
    You guys do realize that Ibis is not a company with hundreds of people right? Things take time. They don't rush stuff out like specialized just to fill a hole. Give them time. They only have around 7-10 people that work there. They cannot release the bike early because of hundreds of potential problems, new parts not fitting or testing issues that come up, getting the geometry just right, layup corrections, making sure all the parts work within the suspension system, shock tuning, getting fox to build a shock to many specs. All of this has to be sorted out before production, then you have production problems that always come up. If they release the bike early with issues, that can and will destroy a company faster than anything. They cannot afford to do that. These things take time. Lots of time to do it correctly. If you spend $2500-3000 on a frame, you want it right the first time. It's not biking season. Give them a break.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    They only have around 7-10 people that work there.
    Twelve, including owners, if memory serves. I certainly agree with your point. A dozen folks and they'll still answer your phone call before the second ring. It's fantastic that we can get such service from so few people presumably wearing many hats.

    Would be nice if Ibis takes some lessons from CC and works on the "under promising and over delivering" in the future.
    I'm sure Ibis has gotten the message. First the SLR delays, and now Ripley. I think that's part of the reason they're being so coy. They don' want to generate any more hype for this bike without it being something you could ride this week.

    Scott Nicol said as much in the recent interview with Switchback Magazine. Responding to what's next for Ibis, he replied,

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Nicol
    ...what we are going to do is not talk about products until they are in our warehouse. We are going back to the Apple model. It is astonishing to me that Apple keeps the secrets they keep and have a product delivered to their stores virtually the same time the public hears about it. We do like that way of doing business where we don't talk about things until we have them.
    He goes on to tease about "several" new bikes this year (presumably including but not limited to the Ripley). I'm certainly curious, but I'd rather not know about a bike I couldn't plausibly demo until a year later. Frankly, I think that will lead to better bikes for us. Let them do their jobs of imagining and building the best bikes they can, without having to hop over explain every production delay. I'd rather they took their time, especially considering it's only January, than repeat the SLR release experience and have to explain why only the Large Black frames are shipping this month but your Small Orange is coming soon, promise.

    **Full disclosure, having recently built a 650b HD, I am not anxiously awaiting being able to purchase a Ripley, though I do look forward to and Ibis release.

  13. #113
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Well said marz.

    Just thankful they made the awesome frames to date they have, esp the HD cant think of a better ride I would want right now, rides roots and flows as good as any 29er Ive owned or ridden.

    Just have to commit stay loose the HD creams it, this bike proves 26ers are here to stay regardless of the marketing compaines pushing 650b, I personally understand why 29ers 650b apeal to many riders sizing etc, but newer riders are missing the skills we were forced to develop, sure they can ride fast until they get to where it dosent matter what bike youre on rider skill is rider skill regardless, Im seeing this more and more on the trails.

    This is the first 26er imo that can compete with a 29er for rolling speed and grip, off camber etc a 9er definitely gives more percieved confidence.

    For racing XC endurance I would also choose a 9er no question.

    Would love to see the Ripley one day sounds like it will be a cool bike, but you will have to pry my HD from my cold dead hands bike industry before I giver her up shes a keeper.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,056
    Yeah the Ripley is really nice. Having seen a few up close, it's a killer bike for sure. I am not a 650B or 29er fan, but I see the market going in that direction. The reason why the Ripley was announced was because of all the phone calls they were getting about doing a 29er. With the skeleton staff needed to do trouble shooting on current bikes, they didn't have the resources to answer the hours of phone calls every day about a 29er, so they had to come out and say they were designing one. So they put it out there, then it took off from there. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't but from such a small and dedicated group, it's not like they can just push them out like SC or bigger companies and still keep their customer service at the high levels they are.

    The DW link has many benefits over everything else, but designing them to work in a package while maintaining the ride, and being able to design it so that all these different parts work with it is an engineering feat, but it does take time. When they start getting these out, you will be getting the best of the best, but the best takes time.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Adim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    723
    Some of you guys act like you are on their payroll? I agree that not rushing a bad product out the door is important to keeping small businesses running. However missing the market because it takes you a year longer to develop said product can also kill a business. What was innovative a year ago, may be outdated by this ride season.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Some of you guys act like you are on their payroll? I agree that not rushing a bad product out the door is important to keeping small businesses running. However missing the market because it takes you a year longer to develop said product can also kill a business. What was innovative a year ago, may be outdated by this ride season.
    I have been on their payroll sort of, and I do have friends there. They never gave a date for release.
    Oh and thanks for the feedback
    Adim_X. "you are a real D bag homer for ibis. get off your high horse you loser"
    Class guy.

    Payroll is the wrong thing to say. Sub contractor would be more accurate.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 01-21-2013 at 01:25 PM.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    301
    I think the Ripley just won a race with Van at the pedals!
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

  18. #118
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Some of you guys act like you are on their payroll? I agree that not rushing a bad product out the door is important to keeping small businesses running. However missing the market because it takes you a year longer to develop said product can also kill a business. What was innovative a year ago, may be outdated by this ride season.
    Hardly, though I would welcome that opportunity haha.

    A good bike is a good bike, regardless of wheel size design and even linkage, you guys forget this is a boutique market, not a mass produced corporate machine that jumps on everything the consumer thinks they want.

    If you want it so bad then you wait for it, if not b***g and moaning wont make it come any sooner, consumers like that come and go, jump brands like changing under wear, Im sure Ibis will survive and prosper, plenty of good options in the market until then anyway.

    I say cut them some slack, you guys think its like life and death, far more important things to worry about in the world, dam lucky you can enjoy such products while others fight to get a job or stay in work.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,056
    Bravo! /\

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDobson View Post
    I think the Ripley just won a race with Van at the pedals!
    Yes it did! I guess Evan pedaled and steered it so we should probably give him some credit ; ) He is a great test rider. Both he and Brian have been putting in the hours and backing up the lab testing with real world punishment.. It's doing great.

    From the race:


  21. #121
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    teasers are cool.. but a 2yr teaser = blue balls..
    beaver hunt

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Yes it did! I guess Evan pedaled and steered it so we should probably give him some credit ; ) He is a great test rider. Both he and Brian have been putting in the hours and backing up the lab testing with real world punishment.. It's doing great.

    From the race:

    Don't see a Ripley there.

    Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster and Ibis Ripley.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Adim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    723
    Edited because it was rude, should probably not say anything to anyone that I wouldn't say to their face.
    Last edited by Adim_X; 01-29-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: I was being a prick

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    XC race? ^

  25. #125
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    XC race? ^
    El Paso Puzzler (50 miler) I believe

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I whole heartedly stand by my statement. Just read your posts in this thread.
    Seems you're quite popular in your own visitor messages as well.

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Adim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    723
    ....
    Last edited by Adim_X; 01-29-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: I was being a prick

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15
    Enough. I won't repeat all the above reasons as to why to back off on the Ripley, it's been eloquently stated here. You're on this thread supposedly because you love the rides Ibis has created for all of us to enjoy. We are all part of the Ibis family, not a bunch of f**king whiners.

    I am ashamed that Scott and Hans have to read some of this cr*p, it's pathetic and embarrassing.
    We are damn lucky Scott had the passion, desire and incredible drive to bring Ibis back from the dead. They are putting out killer bikes now (ie I ride a SL), and they will continue to innovate.

    If you want a Ripley and can pony up the coin, you WILL get your Ripley, and you will love it. Man up. If I owned the company and heard all this cr*p, frankly, I'd pull the plug and just go ride.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,294
    I think Ibis is just as cool as the next guy, and the Ripley will be a great bike, like all of their others, but you have to hand it to the Ibis fanboys. They take it to a new level.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15
    Assume when "you" start your own mtnbike company, you'll show Ibis how to do it right, right?

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    69
    Wow, where did that negativity come from. Calling me a whiner for stating that I decided to buy a different top of the line bike because this one was not available when I wanted to purchase it. As stated I would have waited if some more specific information was available. Hopefully Hans and Scott do read this so they can see how they could have gained another customer, unfortunately they lost one for this year. Maybe the Ripley will be my next bike, or maybe not...I just could not wait any longer.

    Why would we "back off", in a discussion about a bike that is yet to be released; isn't it ok to mention why we are not waiting. Ibis is just a company making bikes for a profit... you may think that the owners poop sunflowers and embodied in their bikes is the second coming of christ, but I don't insult you for this unbridled passion.

    Settle down!
    Last edited by krandrus; 01-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.

  32. #132
    mnt bike laws of physics
    Reputation: yogiprophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    XC race? ^
    Yes, the El Paso Puzzler is a grueling 50 mile rock fest of a mountain bike race. I've raced all over and this is the hardest race I've ever done. I was the first to win this race back in Feb of 2008 before guys like Evan came out. They now do it on MLK weekend. Just to set things straight, Even Plews won this race 2 or 3 years ago on a freaking hard tail 26er just after coming off of a bad flu....and that was with a fit Travis Brown on his tail.
    He doesn't need any special bike to win.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    261
    I saw one on the trails in SoCal the Friday after Christmas with that BL guy pedaling it.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    I saw one on the trails in SoCal the Friday after Christmas with that BL guy pedaling it.
    Big Lebrowsky? J Bridges lives in Santa Barbara so maybe. Cool dude!

  35. #135
    DILLIGAF
    Reputation: msimmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    505
    The Dude on a Ripley! Awesome.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    533
    On Brian Lopes' twitter account I found a link to this Ripley teaser video posted a few days ago: Ibis Ripley 29" Teaser Footage - featuring Brian Lopes - YouTube

  37. #137
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Dam that manual was insane, wish I could manual like that the one skill Ive never been able to master ahh.

    Nice edit too!

  38. #138
    You know my steez...
    Reputation: BunnV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    905
    That was sweet! Love the bunny hop over the rail and the high speed wheelie!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    118
    Sweet - so it looks like 120mm rear suspension is still the go (yay!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Ridley rear end?
    By dr.dirt in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 02:14 PM
  2. Ridley?
    By the pup in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 08:23 PM
  3. Ridley State Park
    By Brian Burgess in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
  4. Ridley Cobra
    By Emil MP in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
  5. Any Ridley owners
    By pulser in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •