"El Whatever"

Any plans for an Alloy Mojo??

I've been reading nothing but good things on the Mojo, but I still can't get through the complete carbon thing.

I'm not judging, before anyone jumps over my throat. It's just a personal preference.

I'm a caveman who prefers alloy or steel. Eventually I'll have to get a CF bike down the line maybe, but it may not be the time just yet.

Do Ibis has any plans on offering an Alloy Mojo?

Thanks for any insight!!
    Warp

PS... Sorry for the typo on the title... It should read "alloy" instead of "allow"
    Check my Site

It's the axle
    I'm the same way. I even have my own machine shop and tig welding setup. And I'm a mechanical engineer. I love alloy stuff. A couple of months ago I got the bug for a titanium frame. I started searching the forum. The Mojo is a winner on several fronts. I quickly moved out of the titanium camp. And aluminum...I won't go there. I don't want to get flamed.

Having said that, you couldn't give me an alloy frame. For a number of reasons, I simply am in love with this Mojo. I honestly believe the durability of this frame will exceed an alloy frame. No corrosion. Stiffness. It's not going to get dents. If it weren't cold here, and if I hadn't ridden nearly fifteen hours over the weekend, I'd be riding it now.

I think Ibis is going to do very well with this line. I don't need to help them out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    I've been reading nothing but good things on the Mojo, but I still can't get through the complete carbon thing.

I'm not judging, before anyone jumps over my throat. It's just a personal preference.

I'm a caveman who prefers alloy or steel. Eventually I'll have to get a CF bike down the line maybe, but it may not be the time just yet.

Do Ibis has any plans on offering an Alloy Mojo?

Thanks for any insight!!
    Warp
    Even if I am completely confident that the Mojo frame will outlast almost any other component on my bike, I fully undesrtand the esitation: it is "new" technology (up to a point).

But instead of singing the virtues of carbon perhaphs we should remember that alloy bikes can brake ... and they do ... quite a lot. Just to pick two expensive ones: Ellsworth and Turner. Ellsworth had a long sequence of reports for the Truth braking at the seatube. Turner had a similar problems for the size large of the 5-spot when it first came out (seat tube broke at the bottom bracket cnc joint) and they are still braking (you see a report here and there) although people seem to be very toungue in cheek about it.

It just goes to show that aluminum is not such a magic unbrakable material ... I do like to mention that my only serious failure ever has been an aluminum boom braking 1 mile from shore. I did not like it one bit and it was the last aluminum boom I ever used: only carbon from that day on, thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

After carefull consideration

Here is some of the background behind our decision to use carbon fiber:

Caution, this will take some time and maybe some coffee:

http://www.ibiscycles.com/tech/materials_101/

and

http://www.ibiscycles.com/tech/technology/

Enjoy?!

Late Shift

mtbr member
    I'm hoping that Ibis comes out with a carbon fiber hardtail to satisfy the weight weenie in me.

Just imagine a fleet consisting of a Mojo, silk and a hardtail. That'd be my dream garage for sure.

"El Whatever"
    Ok. I understand there are no plans.

Thanks for all your replies, folks!
    Check my Site